Mendenhall transportation

TXRed

Hi y'all.  We will be in Juneau on May 18th, 2020. We have a whale watcing tour booked at 2PM and want to go to Mendenhall in the morning. What is the best and least expensive way to go? My husband and I are in our mid 70's other couple in late 50's. SOME walking is ok...but prefer not to walk a lng distance. Your suggestions will really be appreciated. Again, thanks

You don't mention what time your port times so are you looking to go before the whale watch or after? 

Your tour operator may offer a drop off and there are shuttles from downtown that can be reserved with boarding any time all day long.  

With more details I can try and offer more suggestions.

• Like 1

All the transportation options are listed on the Forest Service web site:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

BEST ... meaning most convenient, is a taxi. There are 4 of you to share the cost so its not THAT expensive.  Much cheaper than the shuttles, $45pp RT.

LEAST EXPENSIVE is city bus but you'll need to walk almost 1 1/2 miles from the bus stop to the Visitor Center and it takes close to an hr. 

Since you're on a schedule, I'd suggest taking a cab from the pier to Mendenhall.  It's about a 30 minute drive and about $50 ( call Evergreen Taxi to see what they're charging for 2020 ).  Then arrange with them to pick you up at 1:30 and drop you off at Auke Bay which is where the whale watching tours depart from ( altho verify this with your vendor ! )  That drive is only 10-12 minutes.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

All the transportation options are listed on the Forest Service web site:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

BEST ... meaning most convenient, is a taxi. There are 4 of you to share the cost so its not THAT expensive.  Much cheaper than the shuttles, $45pp RT.

LEAST EXPENSIVE is city bus but you'll need to walk almost 1 1/2 miles from the bus stop to the Visitor Center and it takes close to an hr. 

Since you're on a schedule, I'd suggest taking a cab from the pier to Mendenhall.  It's about a 30 minute drive and about $50 ( call Evergreen Taxi to see what they're charging for 2020 ).  Then arrange with them to pick you up at 1:30 and drop you off at Auke Bay which is where the whale watching tours depart from ( altho verify this with your vendor ! )  That drive is only 10-12 minutes.   

This is excellent advice. Don't go to Mendenhall and back to downtown Juneau only to go back the same direction to whale watching. A lot of wasted time.

Plus with 4, the cab will be cheaper than the shuttle.

• Like 1

I do agree with the idea of going straight to Auke Bay if that is where you meet your whale watching tour.

However, if you are meeting your tour back in town (like at your ship) then I would suggest Big Blue Bus. Run by M & M Tours.

They are located under the tram at Roberts Tram (which is a short walk from most piers). You can google them to get the whole picture.

Here is the main info:

The Blue Bus" Glacier Express

$45 per person roundtrip        

This is a narrated express direct transportation 14 miles from downtown to the Mendenhall Glacier. "The Bule Bus" runs every 30 minutes beginning at 8:00am till 6:00pm on most days. Let our Bright Blue Bus take you out to the “Big Blue Ice”

(The USFS charges $5 to enter the Visitors Center and that fee is included in the tour price)

M&M Tours operates under a Special Use Permit granted to us by the US Forest Service and the Tongass National Forest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adstz said:

I do agree with the idea of going straight to Auke Bay if that is where you meet your whale watching tour.

However, if you are meeting your tour back in town (like at your ship) then I would suggest Big Blue Bus. Run by M & M Tours.

They are located under the tram at Roberts Tram (which is a short walk from most piers). You can google them to get the whole picture.

Here is the main info:

The Blue Bus" Glacier Express

$45 per person roundtrip        

This is a narrated express direct transportation 14 miles from downtown to the Mendenhall Glacier. "The Bule Bus" runs every 30 minutes beginning at 8:00am till 6:00pm on most days. Let our Bright Blue Bus take you out to the “Big Blue Ice”

(The USFS charges $5 to enter the Visitors Center and that fee is included in the tour price)

M&M Tours operates under a Special Use Permit granted to us by the US Forest Service and the Tongass National Forest. 

I just reread what I posted. Didn't realize how expensive this bus had gotten. I first took it in 2008 and it was $14 or $16 round trip then. With the price what it is now you would be much better off with a taxi for 4 people.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, adstz said:

I just reread what I posted. Didn't realize how expensive this bus had gotten. I first took it in 2008 and it was $14 or $16 round trip then. With the price what it is now you would be much better off with a taxi for 4 people.

Yea - I want to say it was $10 when I first started going to Alaska in 2001. I could be wrong but it was reasonable.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 4:51 PM, LEtue said:

You don't mention what time your port times so are you looking to go before the whale watch or after? 

Your tour operator may offer a drop off and there are shuttles from downtown that can be reserved with boarding any time all day long.  

With more details I can try and offer more suggestions.

Thanks for pointing this out...after I went to look at the port times to reply,  I realized we will not be able to go to Mendenhall before our whale watching tour at 2PM as we don't dock until 11AM...I misread the times as we are in Skagway from7AM to 8:30PM.  So now we will have to go AFTER the whale watching tour.  After reading all the great replies here I think it would be best that we take a cab if the tour company doesn't drop off at Mendenhall.. I have contacted the tour company to see if they drop off at Mendenhall or will we have to go back to the port. If they drop off I guess we would have to make arrangements with a taxi to be icked up. Thanks to all of you for your information and suggestions. I really appreciate it.....

On 12/28/2019 at 10:42 AM, adstz said:

Yep that's a bit too rich for this trip

9 hours ago, TXRed said:

I have contacted the tour company to see if they drop off at Mendenhall or will we have to go back to the port. If they drop off I guess we would have to make arrangements with a taxi to be icked up. Thanks to all of you for your information and suggestions. I really appreciate it.....

You can have a taxi pick you up at Auke Bay where whale watching is and take you to Mendenhall. There is no reason to go all the way downtown just to turn around and head back the same direction.

16 hours ago, Coral said:

You can have a taxi pick you up at Auke Bay where whale watching is and take you to Mendenhall. There is no reason to go all the way downtown just to turn around and head back the same direction.

thank you...I hadn't tought of that!!

3 hours ago, TXRed said:

thank you...I hadn't tought of that!!

I would call and pre-arrange it. The whale watching company can tell you the proper time for pickup.

There are not taxis sitting there waiting for passengers (as opposed to downtown where it is easy to catch one).

Edited by Coral

Absolutely consider a direct taxi between Mendenhall and Aiuck Bay. Which is where all the whale watches leave.      But you need to contact the vendor and get which dock and slip they operate from.   There is more than one marina and they aren’t close together.     You have to call cabs so be sure to have the phone number.       

There is is an admission fee at Mendenhall in most cases.