Free Caviar?

Cruisin Simon

We are going on our first SeaDream cruise in May to see how it compares with Seabourn (which we love) and Silversea (which we don't!).

Could someone tell us whether we can order complimentary caviar in our suite (which has always been a highlight on the two other cruise lines) or if it is something that you have to pay extra for.

Many thanks.

Unless the policy has recently changed -- no, caviar is not free unless provided at receptions, the champagne and caviar splash, daily cocktail hour, or at meals via the menu items.

You pay extra for servings at other times. This was apparently a change made last year and caused some upheaval on this Board -- you mighnt check the earlier postings.

We've been contemplating both Seabourn and Silverseas due to schedules. Can you discuss why you like Seabourne but not Silverseas?

Thanks for your input.

FT

That would be the day...... Muteny on QEII (or QM) was one thing. I would not dear even to think of whatwould have happened if the free flow of Champagne was taken away on SD!!

The answer to your question is: There is ALWAYS Champane within reach. -And served as it should be: Cold, dry and free!

Not just champagne but both red and white wines, beer and mixed drinks available 24 hours a day in your cabin, most any type of food you would like but $34 for caviar - on our voyage this past new year's that wa steh cost, we had shrimp cocktail and a cheese and fruit platter free though

i understand radisson now charges $50 for an ounce of caviar. the only lines where it is still included ( i was about to say free but for the price one pays nothing is free) are seabourn, silversea and I believe crystal (though I was told crystal's caviar is american, not sure though)

I have sailed on both seabourn and silversea. each line has its strengths and weaknesses but both are terrific and you can't go wrong with either.

Are there anyone who have any idea how many bottles of bubbles is emptied during an average week? Just "in the surf" we tend to empty a few.... And Archipelago you will love it. (Remember that on some of the cruises there are some who are underage. -that means the rest of us have to take even more)

Congrats Archipelago!!

You will have a wonderful trip I am sure:D

Ctbjr, who is on SD1 now, visited friends on SD2 last evening and reported that all is well on both ships!

Not sure on the answer to your question Yara ... I know on our cruise on SD2 in November the crew had to go back to the ship on beach party day to bring in more champagne ... and there were only 60 passengers:p

On the last night of our voyage, captain reeled off some statistics including how much champagne was consumed. He claimed it was a record of 347 bottles consumed shattering the old record of 260 on SD 1.

The only other number I remember was we as a group consumed 212 gallons of ice cream.

It was a very good cruise!

On the last night of our voyage, captain reeled off some statistics including how much champagne was consumed. He claimed it was a record of 347 bottles consumed shattering the old record of 260 on SD 1.

The only other number I remember was we as a group consumed 212 gallons of ice cream.

It was a very good cruise!

That was quite a trip. On the Transatlantic of Sea Dream II we only consumed something like 280 bottles (we think Captain Tysse or Christophe missed a few somewhere along the way). I'm assuming that those sprayed by Martijn, Erik & Danny weren't included in the count.

Sea Dream I Easter Cruise in 2005 had quite a consumption of caviar -- something like 16 or so lbs --

FT

Who cares about the ice cream? I remember many years ago I read a post somewhere that have been my leading star ever since: "Champagne is not drinking". Could it be said better than that?

I think the number of bottles you mentioned is about what I was also trying to forget.

i understand radisson now charges $50 for an ounce of caviar. the only lines where it is still included ( i was about to say free but for the price one pays nothing is free) are seabourn, silversea and I believe crystal (though I was told crystal's caviar is american, not sure though)

I have sailed on both seabourn and silversea. each line has its strengths and weaknesses but both are terrific and you can't go wrong with either.

With the UN embargo currently on Caviar - I am not sure that any of the lines serve free caviar. Does anyone know for sure? I know for a fact that Crystal doesn't serve caviar or spirits for free.

i know for a fact (since I have been on seabourn very recently and am about to go on silversea in may) that they both serve free caviar. in fact, on seabourn you can get it anywhere on the ship you want, in the bars, at the pool, in your suite etc. on silversea, it's only in your suite or in the dining room, but it's free (or included i should say!!!!!)

Thanks for all the information re caviar on SD. We are still looking forward to the cruise, but will think of something else to have in our suite before our evening meals!

To frequent traveler - I posted a comparison of our impressions of Silversea against Seabourn on this website - it can be found at:

www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13313

(If the link doesn't work it can be found under Silver Cloud Member Reviews against my name)

Remember the review is subjective and based on one Silversea cruise against three Seabourns. It could be that we just had some poor experiences on the Cloud that week. But I do have to say that the suites on the Cloud are NOISY! Never a problem on Seabourn.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

When we sailed on the SeaDream1 two years ago, we were warned by the staff NEVER to carry an empty champagne glass unless we wanted it filled. It seemed there was always someone pouring the champagne. On the fifth day of the cruise, the champagne became more scarce. It turned out that they had run out of the house champagne! They then started pouring vintage champagne, not quite as generously but still relatively plentiful. SeaDream is absolutely a first class operation.

Archived