FYI- Breakaway Balcony Room 8148 beware

scendro

We just got off the Breakaway for our Christmas Cruise.  We had two rooms: 8148 Balcony for my husband and I and then we put the 4 young adult kids in room 8130 (mini suite with large balcony).  

I want to let others know that the balcony on room 8148 is not at all private and also does not overlook the water.  This is not stated anywhere in the description of the room and it’s technically not considered “obstructed” (I had this conversation with guest services and was informed that I could see out the room fine so it’s not an obstruction).   The balcony over looks a shuffleboard deck on Deck 7.  I did not realize this when I booked this room.  For others who would want their balcony to actually overlook the ocean be wary of the balconies on Deck 8 as at least a dozen on each side of the ship were set up this way- to overlook deck 7 rather than the water.  Another note- this room is right above the Breakaway theater and the late shows of “Six” and “Burn the Floor” can be heard in your room until about 11:15 (we tried drowning it out by having the balcony door open and the TV on to no avail).  So ideally if you are early to bed this room is a poor choice.

Now the large balcony for mini suite 8130 was very nice! It had two loungers, two chairs and a big table and there was still plenty of room to walk around the balcony.  This balcony was private as it stuck out further and was over the ocean.  In fact, the balcony in room 8130 was much larger than the Penthouse Aft suite we had on the Gem!  

All in all, I Would definitely sail the Breakaway again but not in this room.  

unfortunately, this is where doing your cabin research needs to be done. check pictures online, check youtube for ship walk through, study the deck plans.

If you look at the deck plans, you will see deck 7 is wider compare to the deck 8 that appears to be narrow. It is a common design now to have a wide lower decks like deck 7  for the outside promenade decks and narrow passenger decks like 8 for the balcony.

If you look at the pictures at the side of the ship, you will also notice the lifeboat overhangs off the side to the ship, this sometimes limits the view on both your balcony and promenade decks

17 minutes ago, scendro said:

I want to let others know that the balcony on room 8148 is not at all private and also does not overlook the water.  This is not stated anywhere in the description of the room and it’s technically not considered “obstructed” (I had this conversation with guest services and was informed that I could see out the room fine so it’s not an obstruction).

"Obstructed" refers to the view looking out, not down. 

21 minutes ago, scendro said:

For others who would want their balcony to actually overlook the ocean be wary of the balconies on Deck 8 as at least a dozen on each side of the ship were set up this way- to overlook deck 7 rather than the water.

Looking at photos (starboard side)...

breakawaytopview-zps079001d3.jpg

...you can see which deck 8 balconies look directly/mostly down to the water. 

5 minutes ago, schildiams said:

Wondering how old were the young adult - did they require that one be 21 in the cabin?

21 or over is the rule to have their own cabin however there is some leeway if the two cabins is near each other, usually it has to be less then 10 cabins difference. it is normal to have adults in a balcony cabin and the kids in an inside cabin directly across the hall

19 minutes ago, schildiams said:

Wondering how old were the young adult - did they require that one be 21 in the cabin?

Yes, they are strict, my 18 and 20 year olds needed one of us in their cabin, and they were connecting. RCL is less strict, just needs to be near.

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

21 or over is the rule to have their own cabin however there is some leeway if the two cabins is near each other, usually it has to be less then 10 cabins difference. it is normal to have adults in a balcony cabin and the kids in an inside cabin directly across the hall

however in the newer build ships inside cabins are not often directly opposite balcony even though first glance at deck plans make them appear so-there is a partition wall opposite door of balcony cabin and the inside cabin is accessed via an interior corridor-obviously not suitable for a family wanting to be close together

a previous poster expressed surprise that there would be expectation of privacy on a balcony-there is a big difference between someone having to peer around balcony dividers to having your entire balcony visible from above decks as very common on Epic for instance

it does require a lot of obsessive research before choosing your cabin!

2 hours ago, scendro said:

I want to let others know that the balcony on room 8148 is not at all private and also does not overlook the water.  

If you want to share this info with future cruisers, the best idea may be to post in in the "Cabin Information" discussion:

5 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I must be reading this wrong.  I'm really not getting this balcony complaint at all.  You look out, you see the water.

Confused-Baby-300x218.jpg

This is our 6th balcony cruise & the first time we looked out and didn’t see sea but rather people peering up at us.  We are used to looking out to and seeing nothing but sea....it’s a big difference for me. 

The same thing can be said about most balconies and minisuites on -away class ships. If you look straight down, you will look at the roof of the Deck 8 waterfront. It is much more noticeable the lower you get on the ship. Deck 9 passengers look out over the roof. 

• Like 1