Medallion/ Insurance App without Internet connection

WallyNDiane

I had planned not to purchase the internet package through Princess. We really want to go unplugged for our two week cruise.

We have purchased a non Princess travel insurance policy. We have downloaded that insurance app on our phone. We also have the Medallion app on the phone. I have printed all the insurance documents so I should be ok there. Remarkably, we have never opened up a smart phone App without either a phone or WiFi connection. Will we be ok running these Apps on a smart phone without the ship WiFi internet package?

I also had no plans to purchase our phone coverage through our phone provider during our Caribbean cruise. 

Comments welcomed. Thank you.

Once you have your medallion in hand and are onboard you won’t be required to use the app again. If you choose to use the Medallion App onboard , put the phone on airplane mode, turn on WiFi and access the ship WiFi (you will be able to view things like your shipboard account etc but won’t actually be using the internet). 

as for your insurance app since you have already printed a copy of the policy so it would seem you have all you will need. If you encounter a problem during your travel you could either activate cellular or pay for WiFi at that time.  To test what you can see in the insurance app before traveling turn your phone to airplane mode and see what is in the app when you open it.

• Thanks 1

Without purchasing a wifi package or minutes you will only be able to access the ships Intranet which is a local onboard only signal for the Medallion.

None of you regular  phone apps will work because you will have no wifi of cell signal with your phone in airplane mode.

Your apps may work IF....you are on shore at a Starbucks, McDonalds, or other places that have free wi-fi.  Lately, I have found that McDonald and iPhones don't work well together.  Safari says that McDonald's is unsecured and they won't even let me open CNN.

Confirming...only INTRAnet on your ship will work.  Anything Princess related will be available.  Lots of little nuances; some good, some useless.

Some apps are stored on your phone and do not require the internet to open.  Unfortunately, most apps require  wi-fi/data.

Edited by cr8tiv1

If you try to access your insurance app without a wifi package you will you will only be able to connect through a cellular connections.  You will connect thru cellular at sea and your phone provider and be billed which could be very expensive.   Make sure your phone is in airplane mode when on the ship so do not not get charged for data usage from your cell phone provider.

On 12/30/2019 at 12:01 AM, Daniel A said:

Just curious - if you printed a hard copy of your insurance docs, why would you need to use an insurance app on board?

I was hoping to not carry the hard copy of the insurance docs with us on shore excursions. In case something goes wrong on shore, I was hoping to use the app.

23 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

I was hoping to not carry the hard copy of the insurance docs with us on shore excursions. In case something goes wrong on shore, I was hoping to use the app.

Can you save PDF copies to docs on your phone?

47 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

It just occurred to me that if you are out on a shore excursion, the ship's Wifi wouldn't be available anyway even if you had it.  If you're onboard the ship where the Wifi is available, you will already have your hard copies so, no Ship's Wifi would be needed for insurance purposes.

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Can you save PDF copies to docs on your phone?

This is the best solution for this type of issue.  I did this while on a 2 week British Isles cruise.  I had printed up my own copies of itineraries and local port info, saving them as PDF files and just copying them over to my phone.  It was great!  As you are intending...no need to carry bulky hard copies around!

• Like 1

Insurance app. If the information is actually stored on your phone then you can access it. But if the app is just a connection to central information then you would have to have that connection, wither internet or cell. If you use cell service at sea then it will be pretty expensive. You can use cell service in port and at U.S. ports in the USVI, if you are going there your cell service should work. At foreign ports you will need to purchase service.

The Princess Medallion app works on board, no charge. You will just not be able to connect to the internet without purchasing internet service.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WallyNDiane said:

Do a simple test.  Turn mobile data and Wi-Fi off on your phone.  Open the insurance app to see if it works without a connection.  A smart coder might store enough of the insurance policy data on the phone so that the important stuff would be there without a connection.

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 8:33 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Confirming...only INTRAnet on your ship will work.  Anything Princess related will be available.  Lots of little nuances; some good, some useless.

Following the above logic the Princess INTRAnet (never have seen it written with the caps this way) should let OP access the Princess Travel Insurance App because I think we can all agree Princess Travel Insurance is Princess related. The Princess INTRAnet allows access to princess.com so maybe the app can be accessed as well. 

Would be interesting to hear from someone that tried so we all know the real answer. 

On 12/29/2019 at 6:00 PM, WallyNDiane said:

We have purchased a non Princess travel insurance policy.

snowskier:  Following the above logic the Princess INTRAnet (never have seen it written with the caps this way) should let OP access the Princess Travel Insurance App because I think we can all agree Princess Travel Insurance is Princess related. The Princess INTRAnet allows access to princess.com so maybe the app can be accessed as well. 

OP did not purchase Princess Travel Insurance.  

I only added INTRAnet to make a distinction between Princess Medallion and INTERnet.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I scanned all the insurance documents and they are now saved on my wife's phone. 

I really wanted to go unplugged for this vacation. Plus I was very surprised to find out the total cost for getting the ships Internet as well as cell phone coverage in the Caribbean for a two week cruise. It ain't cheap, especially for a retired couple.

It is difficult to go unplugged for two weeks for me.  Up until I became elite, I would hunt down free internet establishments just to pick up emails and let the world know that I was still alive.  I now store lots on my phone (pdf/tiny scanner/books/notes/screen shots etc).  Lots of ways to keep documents.  

On an iPhone, there is this little square with an arrow on the menu bar.  If you hit that button, it will ask you where you want to store the item.  I've been dumping a lot of stuff in my books library.  Google directions or stop by a local Apple Store for a quick lesson.