Ultimate Balcony Dinner for 2 Questions

Debate

Anyone done the Ultimate Balcony Dinner for 2?  Does it include wine?  How was it?  We want to do the Chefs Table but understand it’s not scheduled until we board.   Do you have to schedule the Balcony dinner before you board? Our luck they’d be the same night if we prescheduled! 

7 minutes ago, Debate said:

Anyone done the Ultimate Balcony Dinner for 2?  Does it include wine?  How was it?  We want to do the Chefs Table but understand it’s not scheduled until we board.   Do you have to schedule the Balcony dinner before you board? Our luck they’d be the same night if we prescheduled! 

Have done it several times

It is awesome and a must do at least once.

It includes a cocktail of your choice and a split of champagne/or bottle of wine. (you can talk with the room service supervisor about revising that when he comes to your cabin to discuss the dinner setup a day or 2 before it happens)

You can call room service once onboard to schedule. (they do 4 per evening).

So schedule it as soon as possible.

Flowers on the table.

They have a photographer come in and take pictures as well. (supposed to get one free)

here is one from the Crown from 2010.

Still pretty much the same procedure.

We have enjoyed the Ultimate Balcony Dinner four times--number five is booked for our January cruise.

To me it is the best dining experience that Princess offers.  The thing we love about it is that there are two servers dedicated to you.  That feels so decadent.

Colo Cruiser gave you a pretty good rundown in response to your questions.  I will add just a few things.

We think the half-bottle of Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne is good, and we always start with it.  I am, pretty much, a red wine drinker, and my wife is, pretty much, a white wine drinker.  Not surprisingly, I always order the Filet Mignon for my entree, and my wife always orders the Lobster Tails.  So, since we are not cocktail people, I always order a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, and she orders a glass of Chardonnay.  I find the wine that they bring to be pretty pedestrian.  Since we also bring several bottles of our own wine on board, we also start pouring our own bottles, pretty quickly.  (I make sure that the servers understand that if the bridge calls and orders me up to take charge, they will swear that I haven't been drinking anything other than coffee.)

Since you want to avoid any conflict with a Chef's Table invitation, I would suggest that you try to book the UBD early in the cruise.  My experience is that the Chef's Table events are, generally, later in the cruise.  The other benefit of booking early in the cruise is that you will have the floral centerpiece for the next few days in your cabin.  That will easily last four or five days.

If you want to reserve the UBD prior to boarding, I suspect that picking first or second evening of the cruise would be safe.  If you do book prior to the cruise, you will have to give up your credit card number and will not be able tio use on board credit. As Colo Cruiser indicated, if you wait to book until you board, it is important to call as soon as you can.  In chatting with the Room Service Manager about one of our UBDs, he mentioned that port days are more popular for UBDs that port days.  So, if you schedule a sea day, you might have fewer competitors for the four dinners that are scheduled for that evening.

We usually have our UBDs on sea days, and, not surprisingly, when you are at sea, the balcony can be breezy--to the point of being downright cold.  Three of our UBDs were actually done in the cabin next to the slider.  It's worked very nicely for us.  The table that they bring fits very comfortably in the standard balcony cabin.

Only once did we go down to the photo gallery once to pick up our free picture.  I'm not really sure why we wanted that one.

One of our UBDs was on a formal night.  We figured, why not, and dressed up.  When the server knocked and came in, she was blown away that we were all dressed up.  I really think she gave us special attention, that evening.

The meal is quite lengthy.  Pace yourself.  Personally, I would recommend that you skip lunch that day.  (I have a similar recommendation for the day you do the Chef's Table.)  When you have finished dessert and are sipping coffee and you think your done, here comes a platter of cookies/petit fours--there is some ship-to-ship variation on this.  These also will last for a few more days.

I'll probably think of somethiing else.

Have a great cruise.

.  So, we always order a glass of wine 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is great information!  I need help with strategy!  We want to try to get into a Chefs Table Dinner as well as a Winemakers Dinner on our 7 night cruise. I understand you can’t sign up for both of those until you are on board and then wait to see if you get a invite.  If we got into both of those we wouldn’t do a Balcony Dinner.  Can you cancel a Balcony Dinner?  Should I wait until on board to schedule the Balcony Dinner or schedule?  Also,  our 12 year old daughter will be with us.  Would she come to these with us (if so anyone know the charge) she would rather go to the kids club - I assume it’s open at night?  Love to hear some advice and strategy!  

2 minutes ago, Debate said:

This is great information!  I need help with strategy!  We want to try to get into a Chefs Table Dinner as well as a Winemakers Dinner on our 7 night cruise. I understand you can’t sign up for both of those until you are on board and then wait to see if you get a invite.  If we got into both of those we wouldn’t do a Balcony Dinner.  Can you cancel a Balcony Dinner?  Should I wait until on board to schedule the Balcony Dinner or schedule?  Also,  our 12 year old daughter will be with us.  Would she come to these with us (if so anyone know the charge) she would rather go to the kids club - I assume it’s open at night?  Love to hear some advice and strategy!  

What ship?

Probably best your daughter goes to the kids club. 

Should be open.

We will be on Ruby this spring but I don’t see the UBD listed among the specialty dining options.  Is it available on Ruby?  If so, does anyone know if we can book it in advance?

Also, does Princess still off their special breakfast?

7 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

We will be on Ruby this spring but I don’t see the UBD listed among the specialty dining options.  Is it available on Ruby?  If so, does anyone know if we can book it in advance?

Also, does Princess still off their special breakfast?

It’s listed under the Cruise Personalizer’s “Onboard Services” & then “Culinary Delights”.  Booking in advance requires payment by chargecard & we’ve never had a problem booking them onboard to use OBC as payment.

E4524741-D240-4449-8FF9-0646363F8452.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

28 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

It’s listed under the Cruise Personalizer’s “Onboard Services” & then “Culinary Delights”.  Booking in advance requires payment by chargecard & we’ve never had a problem booking them onboard to use OBC as payment.

E4524741-D240-4449-8FF9-0646363F8452.jpeg

many thanks!  Found it where you said to look.  My mistake was looking under specialty dining.  For our cruise the breakfast is $60.75 and the dinner is $135 (both for two). 

really appreciate your prompt reply on this Astro Flyer!

1 minute ago, Carnevale said:

many thanks!  Found it where you said to look.  My mistake was looking under specialty dining.  For our cruise the breakfast is $60.75 and the dinner is $135 (both for two). 

really appreciate your prompt reply on this Astro Flyer!

You’re welcome & glad you were able to locate it...are those prices CAD or AUD?

23 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

You’re welcome & glad you were able to locate it...are those prices CAD or AUD?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that what I get is in CAD which explains the difference in the prices.  Thx again for your help in finding this info!

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 2:25 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

Have done it several times

It is awesome and a must do at least once.

It includes a cocktail of your choice and a split of champagne/or bottle of wine. (you can talk with the room service supervisor about revising that when he comes to your cabin to discuss the dinner setup a day or 2 before it happens)

You can call room service once onboard to schedule. (they do 4 per evening).

So schedule it as soon as possible.

Flowers on the table.

They have a photographer come in and take pictures as well. (supposed to get one free)

here is one from the Crown from 2010.

Still pretty much the same procedure.

Curious as to what kind of stateroom you were in. Loved your video. I’ve also had the balcony dinner & loved everything. I forgot to go & get the photo. The only downside is that you never know what the weather will be like. 

Tom😎 

On 1/2/2020 at 3:34 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Thank you Astro Flyer for your advice. Have you ever booked onboard for the first night? i.e. the day of embarkation? We are not boarding until 4pm and I am concerned it will be too late. Hoping to be enjoying dinner on the balcony as we sail out of Sydney Harbour.

5 minutes ago, Sarah Jane Smith said:

Thank you Astro Flyer for your advice. Have you ever booked onboard for the first night? i.e. the day of embarkation? We are not boarding until 4pm and I am concerned it will be too late. Hoping to be enjoying dinner on the balcony as we sail out of Sydney Harbour.

They don't offer it on embarkation days. 

7 hours ago, Sarah Jane Smith said:

7 hours ago, Sarah Jane Smith said:

Thank you OzKiwiJJ. It is listed in the Cruise Personalizer’s “Onboard Services” & then “Culinary Delights” for embarkation day, but I thought that would be a stretch 🙂

I’ve never tried it on the first day but like you for my cruises it’s available to order & pay for the UBD in advance.  If it accepts your advance reservation it’s either possible to do on the first evening or is a glitch in their system & OzKiwiJJ is correct.

Ours have been either during an evening in port (Honolulu, San Francisco) or during sailaway (Puntarenas, Barcelona, Santorini) which were all great. 🙂

13 hours ago, vlocity said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the great information. One last question - what time is the dinner usually served?

All of ours had the option to be served at either 6:00 or 8:00 but they have slightly adjusted those times for a sunset experience.  Room service supervisors have said that it’s possible to have only two UBDs at each time although it was rare to have all four booked particularly when at sea.