Bringing Hydroflask onboard

Lorabelle

I have been reading that you can't bring water bottles onboard, not even empty ones.  Wondering if the thermal hydroflask stainless bottles are permitted.  Brought onboard empty, of course.  We have ordered water for the room, but I like my water very cold and use a hydroflask daily to keep it at the temp I like.  

2 hours ago, Lorabelle said:

I have been reading that you can't bring water bottles onboard, not even empty ones.  Wondering if the thermal hydroflask stainless bottles are permitted.  Brought onboard empty, of course.  We have ordered water for the room, but I like my water very cold and use a hydroflask daily to keep it at the temp I like.  

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think I've heard of a thermal hydroflask, but if it's similar to sports bottles or travel mugs (e.g. tumblers, etc.), then yes, they're allowed.

And just an additional FYI, if you choose to fill your own cup/bottle at the beverage stations on Lido, for sanitary reasons, it's recommended that you use one of their clean cups to fill your own instead of putting it directly under the drink dispenser.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lorabelle said:

I took my Hydroflask on a Thanksgiving sailing on Sunrise and plan to take it again on Horizon next week.  I've never had any issues bringing a water bottle on board.

24 minutes ago, coevan said:

not plastic water bottles,which they might have referring to. 

I have brought an empty plastic Coke bottle on many of my 47 cruises. It is always in my carry-on and it has never been questioned. I use it to make a bottle of Crystal Light Classic Orange.

We brought these 32 ounce thermal bottles purchased from Amazon, and also purchased the straps- they were super handy to have and are of no threat to self or others so long as you are not touching the bottle to the nozzle when filling which was easy to avoid (wide mouth). We were never questioned and used them on and off the ship! Our bottles came with two lids- a flip top and screw top. The strap allowed us to be hands free often when we needed to be. We might purchase the 64 ounce for our next cruise to keep in our cabin! 

358E5F9E-DEC2-488C-B865-360DE767B75E.jpeg

Edited by lensonlife

18 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

We brought these 32 ounce thermal bottles purchased from Amazon, and also purchased the straps- they were super handy to have and are of no threat to self or others so long as you are not touching the bottle to the nozzle when filling which was easy to avoid (wide mouth).

I agree that as long as you don't touch a personal cup to the dispenser nozzle, it shouldn't be an issue, but I don't think they see it that way. I think they want us to fill it with a clean cup no matter what. It's easier for them to make a "catch-all" policy that says to always use a clean cup. I doubt too many of the crew members would say anything if they caught you, though. They tend to avoid confrontation like that.

The lines were so long at times on the Horizon, I can only imagine the discontent I would have caused if I’d filled up my family’s 32 ounce containers cup by cup lol. I found staff to be gracious- they were often present. But I do understand that not everyone is compliant and touches their drinking containers to the spicket- likely contaminating it. 

On 1/5/2020 at 6:54 PM, coevan said:

contaminating it with what, cup cooties? 

I was referencing personal drink containers (bottles) where some touch the mouth of the bottle that they drink out of to the nozzle of the water dispenser (and some do). I wasn’t referencing clean cups. Personally, I am not the germ police. If I were, I could never sail on a cruise ship (or do what I do for a living). 

• Like 1

I respect and follow the rules and use a clean cup for filling our bottles.  I don't understand why it is acceptable on land to refill a glass from the soft drink dispenser but not ok to do the same onboard - especially for glasses that don't touch where the water comes out. 

Most land based dispensers are actually having the glass push against a lever with more chance for contamination, although I guess use of a straw makes the difference in why it's ok.

On 1/5/2020 at 1:57 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I agree that as long as you don't touch a personal cup to the dispenser nozzle, it shouldn't be an issue, but I don't think they see it that way. I think they want us to fill it with a clean cup no matter what. It's easier for them to make a "catch-all" policy that says to always use a clean cup. I doubt too many of the crew members would say anything if they caught you, though. They tend to avoid confrontation like that.

I don't see nothing wrong with filling your cup at the drink station but for the sake of not getting kicked off the ship I use their cup and pour into my yeti it's not like I'm washing dishes anyway .

16 minutes ago, scpirate said:

I don't see nothing wrong with filling your cup at the drink station but for the sake of not getting kicked off the ship I use their cup and pour into my yeti it's not like I'm washing dishes anyway .

I'd rather just dispense the drink straight into mine. I'm fully capable of not touching it to the nozzle. But it is what it is, I'll follow the rules. They do have signs at some of the drink stations instructing to use a clean cup, but in my experience, they weren't at all stations on all ships.

• Like 1

Staff aren't happy when it's brought to their attention that someone has used a personal cup at a water or juice dispenser and touched their cup to the dispensing nozzle, contaminating it.

They are then required to pull that station from use and sanitize it.  It's extra work and they'll get annoying questions from other pax about where the next closest dispenser is located.

All dispensers have a sign with tiny lettering warning about using only clean cups.  Most pax aren't aware of that warning since the type size is so small.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 7:57 PM, coevan said:

there are rules?  

Rules may be a strong word, but there are requests at the drink stations to use a fresh cup each time. 

On the Pride the way the water dispenses it would actually be difficult to have a container touch the dispenser, but I did see it happening on the Sunrise.