Live: Iberian Explorer Jan 3 - 10

Peregrina651

15 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Works for me!!   I still don't understand why your sailing was (at least apparently) not listed on the website. 

We have sailed so it is no longer listed but it was listed right up until we sailed. 

The Strait of Gibraltar is about 4 hours sailing time from Malaga and so at 11pm we were in viewing distance of the Strait and a few hours later we had completed the process. There is not much to see at night; the only thing you can really make out are the street-lit populated areas.

Today is a sea day as we work our way north to Vigo. 

On 1/6/2020 at 11:41 AM, Peregrina651 said:

The Strait of Gibraltar is about 4 hours sailing time from Malaga and so at 11pm we were in viewing distance of the Strait and a few hours later we had completed the process. There is not much to see at night; the only thing you can really make out are the street-lit populated areas.

You could see the Rock fairly well- the western end is spotlighted and the silhouette was apparent.  We had about a 3/4 moon too.  

• Like 1

We did the trip to Santiago de Compostela this morning.  It is about an hour and fifteen minutes ride from the ship to the drop off point, which is a 10 min walk to the cathedral.  From that point it is all walking.  We stayed with our guide Rosana for the entire tour. 

We saw a couple of different exhibits in the museum and then walked into the cathedral for a few minutes, we left via a different door, out behind the cathedral and then wended our way back to the main plaza, where we headed to the Parador for tea, coffee and almond cake.  

By noon, we were heading back to the bus.  

Notes: 

* The pacing was good, the slower walkers kept up with the group while the faster walkers did not complain.  Photographers had plenty of time. 

* There are steps in the Museum. They are stone steps but even and fairly well spaced but some may find the steps high. Good hand rails. 

* Not much shopping time. Unless you leave the group.  Souvenir shops aplenty but I did not shop in any of them

* Finally,  the cathedral has been undergoing renovations for the past few years in anticipation of the Holy Year in 2021. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We did the trip to Santiago de Compostela this morning.  It is about an hour and fifteen minutes ride from the ship to the drop off point, which is a 10 min walk to the cathedral.  From that point it is all walking.  We stayed with our guide Rosana for the entire tour. 

We saw a couple of different exhibits in the museum and then walked into the cathedral for a few minutes, we left via a different door, out behind the cathedral and then wended our way back to the main plaza, where we headed to the Parador for tea, coffee and almond cake.  

By noon, we were heading back to the bus.  

Notes: 

* The pacing was good, the slower walkers kept up with the group while the faster walkers did not complain.  Photographers had plenty of time. 

* There are steps in the Museum. They are stone steps but even and fairly well spaced but some may find the steps high. Good hand rails. 

* Not much shopping time. Unless you leave the group.  Souvenir shops aplenty but I did not shop in any of them

* Finally,  the cathedral has been undergoing renovations for the past few years in anticipation of the Holy Year in 2021. 

We spent so!me time in Santiago as an extension to the Portugal river itinerary.  We loved the town and other than one "orientation" tour had our time to ourselves.  We enjoyed watching the pilgrims arriving at the Cathedral!  It is quite a moving sight!

2 hours ago, molymoo said:

We spent some time in Santiago as an extension to the Portugal river itinerary.  We loved the town and other than one "orientation" tour had our time to ourselves.  We enjoyed watching the pilgrims arriving at the Cathedral!  It is quite a moving sight!

The downside to the timing of our visit, the morning after Epiphany, was just how quiet things were. We were just about the only tour groups in town--perhaps even the only visitors, or so it seemed.  There were no pilgrims to be seen. So, I think in a sentence you have explained why I felt a bit let down. That and the fact that the cathedral's interior was swathed in plastic and scaffolding. Nonetheless, I do not regret the choice because who knows if we will ever pass this way again. This is a city I have wanted to see. 

Those doing this in 2021 will probably have a different experience.  Iberian Explorer will be sailing at the end of January in 2021.  

Last day 😭  Last port. 

I'm taking a break from packing to talk about the included bus ride around town.  It wasn't bad. Our guide Jean was very good.  In a short amount of time, we covered a lot of ground.  We managed to get in two of the three planned stops in the allotted time.  Headquarters of the British Navy, there is a lot of history to cover in Portsmouth.  We did manage to get into the D-Day Museum gift shop to pick up a book about the embroidered tapestry that Jean mentioned but there was no time to be able to actually see the tapestry.  

All in all, we covered a lot of ground in 2.5 hrs. Portsmouth is charming and given the parameters, the tour was well laid out. 

Getting the train from Tilbury Town to London

Regardless of prior reports, there was no shuttle from the port to the train station.  You have three choices:

*Walk 15 minutes to the station. 

* Take a taxi.  Wasn't thinking about that option, so I didn't pay much attention to the availability of cabs at the pier. 

* Take the 99 bus, from just outside the port. 

Having no pounds for a cab and no patience to hunt down the bus stop, we just walked. We survived -- and we didn't get lost either

It cost us less to buy at the station than it did on line.  We stood in line, bought our tickets and then went through the gates that were right there; no need to cross the tracks. Save your train ticket; you will need it to exit the train station.  

You can get from Tilbury  Town to Heathrow on public.  One train and two subways. Uncle Google can give the route and the timing.  ( I actually chose our London hotel based on its proximity to the Picadilly line which goes all the way to LHR Terminal 5.  )

Wife and I are considering this itinerary in January, 2021 for our 50th. Would like to hear comments from folks just completing the trip on Viking Star. Sailed on Star before so familiar with the ship and service. Specifically, interested in where ship docked in ports, comments on shore excursions. Did any ports have shuttles. Best things to do in Portsmouth, recommended hotel extensions in London and transfer to Heathrow. Did anyone stay in London longer than 3 days and if anyone used a rental car would like to know the procedure. Can email mulletmasters@aol.com. Many Thanks!

On 1/4/2020 at 9:33 AM, Squawkman said:

Our local Wells Fargo branch (East Brunswick NJ)  has Euros in stock - just walk in and get some as a withdrawal. I’m sure other banks do this as well. One less thing to do when you get to your destination.

Bank of America also keeps Euros, if the branch doesn't have any they will order them for you to pick up, no extra fees involved.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:55 AM, Peregrina651 said:

You lucked out. My experience has been US banks overcharge and I no longer bother to buy currency in the US. 

B of A sells Euros at what ever the exchange rate is for that day with no fees. We are a large depositor so maybe that is why.

On 1/6/2020 at 4:41 AM, Peregrina651 said:

I assume you didn't have a stop at Gibraltar.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

B of A sells Euros at what ever the exchange rate is for that day with no fees. We are a large depositor so maybe that is why.

Bank of America will also mail your currency to you.  It always adds to the excitement of an upcoming trip when an envelope of foreign money shows up in the mailbox (Rubles this past summer!).  

3 minutes ago, mariavii said:

Bank of America will also mail your currency to you.  It always adds to the excitement of an upcoming trip when an envelope of foreign money shows up in the mailbox (Rubles this past summer!).  

I didn't mention the mail option because we did this once and the bank mailed them standard mail (no signature or tracking) and we never received the envelope as they sent it to the wrong address in a different state. Took forever to get a credit back, so I would not recommend this way of having them sent. 

The itinerary does not stop at Gibraltar but it does talk in depth about scenic cruising the Strait for day 4 but by the time we wake up on day 4 the ship is already off the coast of Portugal and heading north to Vigo. I wish Viking would choose a more accurate description of day 4.