Bliss 1/5/2020 sailing from NYC

PistolPete13

3 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Anyone who checks out the ships on the Norwegian website can know about the observation lounge. It isn't a secret or anything.

image.thumb.png.214c14595786483c443feea051b984ae.png

I know it's not a secret...lol.  But, more in the rhetorical sense....how do they know you are allowed sit there and fall asleep for the day.  I was on the MSC Meraviglia in Oct...they also have a beautiful observation lounge.  I didn't see anyone sleeping on the chairs with bare feet on the furniture. (I have an opinion and being diplomatic I'll keep it to myself.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mamashamiller said:

I was on the regal last February From Fort Lauderdale and yes never felt crowded.  This February I’m going on the bliss.  Do you think it more crowded because it’s cold outside 4 of the sea days because it’s coming from New York?

i dont like the design of bliss and BA etc, the center hall just seems so darn small for such a large capacity ship. you just gotta walk on princess'  lower decks to understand that feeling of space and i love it. but i wont fly to a cruise so i'm stuck with canada for regal and i'm tired of that. 

one great thing they did on bliss is remove the jewelry counters from the center of the hall. that was sooo annoying on the BA. but something as simple as passing by the local is just like going thru a mob a lot of the time.  i think its just bad design regardless of FL or NYC departures. but i've only taken OCT and DEC cruises so not sure if FEB will be worse or not

i have to say for christmas i'm glad i forked over for the haven. having all that inside space was glorious, including the hot tub.

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

NCL's WiFi plan charges are plain maritime piracy for the captive passengers, slowest among the mass lines and yet the most expensive, now upping the gaming with multi-users "discount" - are they offering the "deals" onboard the Bliss?

expensive is right! 

carnival is downright cheap by comparison

https://www.carnival.com/internet-plans

and water...basically free

https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages/water/natural-spring-water--12-pack-SP4

12 for 5 bucks! you can almost bathe in it

1 hour ago, MrsKC08 said:

Anyone who checks out the ships on the Norwegian website can know about the observation lounge. It isn't a secret or anything.

This ... (extra "like") and, it's covered by numerous youtube vidoes and reviews, mentioned on social media channels and chat "book" groups.  Probably just the same on the re-purposed Joy as well. 

It's the new indoor sport of chair hogging.  I don't like it either and don't approve of the observed behaviors either.  It's up to NCL to review, change and/or police the unacceptable behaviors - write/email them instead, IMHO.  They can re-design and/or make changes to make it less comfortable to slide low & stretch out on those full-lengh loungers, get rid of the ottman as nice extensions ... lots of options on their end to re-balance the intent to offer a nice space.  

Now, about those discarded drink glasses & coffee mugs, plates dumped next to the staircases & inside the elevators - that hasn't been "fixed" either on the Gem.  Cannot "regulate" what others should or must do, and, definitely not going to let those ruin or disrupt our cruise vacation.  

• Like 2

Just catching up on your posts. I was on the Bliss for my second time in December and I have sailed the Escape several times, so I enjoy reading about your comparisons between the two. I am SO GLAD you discovered Siglo on your first night and have gotten to see them multiple times. I love them so much and even met a few of their "groupies" on my last cruise... it's a group of people who have literally been on over 20 cruises total, following Siglo from ship to ship throughout their NCL careers. I can't wait to see them again in March!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, April42749 said:

I know it's not a secret...lol.  But, more in the rhetorical sense....how do they know you are allowed sit there and fall asleep for the day.  I was on the MSC Meraviglia in Oct...they also have a beautiful observation lounge.  I didn't see anyone sleeping on the chairs with bare feet on the furniture. (I have an opinion and being diplomatic I'll keep it to myself.)

I might've been on your cruise, was on the Meraveglia also and it's true no sleepers. They have a nice lounge also but much smaller and they don't really have the feet up type loungers, the Meraveglia lounge is more like the NCL Spinnaker lounge and you don't see any sleepers there. I probably share your opinion.

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

This ... (extra "like") and, it's covered by numerous youtube vidoes and reviews, mentioned on social media channels and chat "book" groups.  Probably just the same on the re-purposed Joy as well. 

It's the new indoor sport of chair hogging.  I don't like it either and don't approve of the observed behaviors either.  It's up to NCL to review, change and/or police the unacceptable behaviors - write/email them instead, IMHO.  They can re-design and/or make changes to make it less comfortable to slide low & stretch out on those full-lengh loungers, get rid of the ottman as nice extensions ... lots of options on their end to re-balance the intent to offer a nice space.  

Now, about those discarded drink glasses & coffee mugs, plates dumped next to the staircases & inside the elevators - that hasn't been "fixed" either on the Gem.  Cannot "regulate" what others should or must do, and, definitely not going to let those ruin or disrupt our cruise vacation.  

I get what you're saying.  But, I would like to relax in the lounge too, have a snack, have a drink.  If I can't do this, in a sanitary fashion, I'm going to rethink my relationship with NCL. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’m back with some updates!

Keep in mind this is my first time in GSC and only my second time cruising so I’m just going to tell it as I see it.

We arrived at GSC yesterday morning and was able to tender to the island thanks to the relatively calm conditions.  However, once getting on the boat, I can completely see how this can be a serious issue in anything other than ideal conditions.

Got some great photos of the RCCL Navigator of the Seas docked in their own island (and pier) within spitting distance of GSC.  Again the crew did an excellent job of helping those with mobility issues get on and off the tender.  It was not an easy thing to stay upright even trying to walk to my seat.

Thank you for the great advice not to take the top deck for the morning runs.  They wait until the boat is full and it was a very long wait to get everyone on board.  I would’ve been miserable in the sun and rocking deck first thing in the morning.

I had signed up for the stingray swim excursion and when I got to the island I heard that the swimming with pigs (not swimming with the fishes?) excursion had been cancelled due to rough water.  A few disappointed people but there was room enough on the stingray boats to accommodate most of them as a backup excursion for those folks.

I have some video of the stingrays and will do my best to post them quickly after I get back on 1/19.  We had about 25 people all told.  I didn’t stay too long with the main group but wandered around the enclosure by myself and was able to get close to a few rays that too were avoiding the huddle of people.  Just an FYI, I was told we went out during low tide and the water never got above waist deep for me (I’m 5’7”).  They do provide snorkel masks and vests for those that wanted to stick their head into the water.

You’ll get to hold a stingray for a photo and also get to feed it some squid if you’re OK with grabbing some raw slimy squid.  The suction generated by the rays mouth is very strong and you have to hold your thumb tucked in your fingers around the squid if you don’t want a hickey.

I had a great time with the excursion and now it was time to get back to the island.  The stingray pen is about 10 mins away from the main beach so you’ll be in a small speedboat.  The walk to the speedboat dock is quite a distance so those with mobility issues please keep this in mind.

Once back in the main area I was greeted with a large crescent shaped beach and what seemed like half the ship.  There was a BBQ style lunch being served.  The beach is very rocky so swim shoes are a must.  I’m not a beach person but I found everything really packed and not that relaxing.  Sort of like Coney Island during the summer.

Tip of the day, on deck 19 on the port side there are a bunch of deck chairs that are set up with cushions and is never too crowded.  Walking up those flights of stairs will deter a lot of people!  You have to walk around a fake wall that was made for one of the laser tag entrances so at first glance you won’t think there is anything further down the deck but it is there.

I’ve finally lost track of what day of the week it is today.

We’ve had clear skies so far until today.  Right now it is overcast with a strong wind.  The boat was moving overnight and this morning but I haven’t seen any motion sickness bags put out yet.

Entertainment last night was Siglo in the Atrium and the Beatles Experience in the Cavern club.  The Beatles experience was even better in the small venue where there was more back and forth interaction possible with the players.  Again they put on a kick ass show.

OK, back to my book (Apollo 😎 and the gym afterwards.

Not fun watching my Internet minutes dwindle.  I’m in the tech field and have been working with Internet connectivity since before anyone knew what it was.  I’m NOT used to being metered like this but the unlimited plan cost is robbery.  It would pay for over 6 months of fiber access from home!

Do you recall seeing a section of GSC just for Haven cabins and Cabanas that you can rent? 

5 hours ago, bowie123 said:

Do you recall seeing a section of GSC just for Haven cabins and Cabanas that you can rent? 

I did see a separate section of beach from ship and took a photo of it.  I'll post it up once I get back, maybe this is the new section that has been completed for the Haven folks?

Took this shot in Bliss Observation Lounge, my DH and I could  found two vacant seats only near sleeping with her bare feet lady , she was really loud in her sleep 😌

We had our drinks really fast and left her alone. Did not stop myself of taking the picture. 🤪

A84274D2-1164-445A-B347-86653B1BC8A8.jpeg

Edited by KBMILA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone spoke to and/or left a written message with the GM onboard about the lounge campers?  

I'm sure many of you are familiar with these urban design - easy solutions, no ? v7Z2a1Gs?format=jpg&name=smallAlso used at airports, transit stations, etc. park-bench.jpg

v7Z2a1Gs?format=jpg&name=smallv7Z2a1Gs?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, KBMILA said:

Took this shot in Bliss Observation Lounge, my DH and I could  found two vacant seats only near sleeping with her bare feet lady , she was really loud in her sleep 😌

We had our drinks really fast and left her alone. Did not stop myself of taking the picture. 🤪

Where did sleeping beauty get the blanket from? Shouldn’t be allowed😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Has anyone spoke to and/or left a written message with the GM onboard about the lounge campers?  

I'm sure many of you are familiar with these urban design - easy solutions, no ? v7Z2a1Gs?format=jpg&name=smallAlso used at airports, transit stations, etc. park-bench.jpg

Funny thing is u can’t just fall asleep in port authority or penn station, in manhattan, cause u will be woken up

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

...or pigeon spikes

On 1/9/2020 at 1:00 PM, luckyinpa said:

i dont like the design of bliss and BA etc, the center hall just seems so darn small for such a large capacity ship. you just gotta walk on princess'  lower decks to understand that feeling of space and i love it. but i wont fly to a cruise so i'm stuck with canada for regal and i'm tired of that.

one great thing they did on bliss is remove the jewelry counters from the center of the hall. that was sooo annoying on the BA. but something as simple as passing by the local is just like going thru a mob a lot of the time.  i think its just bad design regardless of FL or NYC departures. but i've only taken OCT and DEC cruises so not sure if FEB will be worse or not

i have to say for christmas i'm glad i forked over for the haven. having all that inside space was glorious, including the hot tub.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread but, both Celebrity andRCCL sail out of Bayonne,NJ. These cruise lines offer a change from NCL out of NYC and Princess out of Brooklyn.

Just arrived in the Cayman Islands.  The Caribbean Princess is also here. Waters are calm and it’s 80 degrees. 

Getting a bunch of photos. Can’t wait to share them here. 

Should be be a fun day!

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Like 1

Back on the ship grabbing buffet before it’s closed. Had a great time on the intro to scuba excursion. 

I’ll list all the excursions I took on this trip later in case folks have questions. 

Wanderer the port area for a bit afterwards and it’s quite a contrast with the Ocho Rios port.  Much more low key and not in your face with the sales pitches. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:56 PM, KBMILA said:

I have to say, I can't wait to let my kids (8 and 5) go HAM making a ruckus if people are sleeping everywhere in there.  Maybe I'll even play tag with them?  If they're going to be inappropriate in the OL I may as well, too...? This is MADDENING

Hi from the Bliss!  Actually, I have the non premium WiFi package and have been using FaceTime to call home daily. So not blocked. Hope someone from NCL doesn’t notice this!  I’ve found the WiFi not bad so far