Bliss 1/5/2020 sailing from NYC

PistolPete13

Hi Arzeena & RJ!  We're going to be on the ship this Sunday and it was suggested we could ask you a question since you're already onboard keeping the ship warm for us 🙂

1. Does you / anyone have a list of the current officers on the Bliss from the M&G? Or a snapshot of the picture wall?

2. If you / anyone happens to have a moment where it's convenient, would you be willing to ask someone how many free bags of laundry platinum members will be able to get on next weeks 14 day itinerary? Thanks so much, hope you're all enjoying your cruise!

Hey folks. 

Sorry for the lack of updates.  Consecutive ports have me beat by the time evenings roll along. 

Yesterday was Harvest Cay and this private NCL island beats GSC by a mile in terms of setup and activities. 

We had very strong winds yesterday so all snorkeling excursions were cancelled.  I was really looking forward to this but what can you do?

i ended up sitting on the beach for a bit then doing the zip line to scare myself a bit and I certainly mannitol do that. 

The ship was rocking last night with relative winds of 45 knots according to the navigation channel.  Deck 8 was closed off. 

Clocks are back to EST and I’m off to an all day excursion to see ruins. 

Guess I’ll have to eyeball Bermuda cruises from NYC if I want to get my snorkeling fix in this year. 

Ive fallen into a pattern of eating, reading, eating again and then ending the night trying to see the Beatles Experience or Siglo   

Side note.  They’re very strict about washing hands before entering the buffet and everyone seems to be complying.  That’s a good thing.  

Ok, off to catch the sunrise. 

• Thanks 1

PistolPete13, Will be on the Bliss in 19 days and was wondering if you could find out something for me.  Am curious if my favourite bartender is on the Bliss.  Had heard rumours that Ramos is on the Bliss n Vibe.  If he is in Vibe, it would give me a good reason to fight my way on early to get Vibe passes for my upcoming cruise. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Proud Dance Mom said:

PistolPete13, Will be on the Bliss in 19 days and was wondering if you could find out something for me.  Am curious if my favourite bartender is on the Bliss.  Had heard rumours that Ramos is on the Bliss n Vibe.  If he is in Vibe, it would give me a good reason to fight my way on early to get Vibe passes for my upcoming cruise. 

Thanks

I’ll do my best.  Don’t have vibe passes. 

Hmmm, being "very strict" about hand wash routines before being allowed into the buffet is - sometimes - an early indication of very, very, very minor cases or incidents of suspected stomach viruses onboard.  Be careful - we tried our best to avoid and eat in the MDR or OSH/Locals ... they aren't using disposable paper menus yet or hiding the salt/pepper shakers, napkins/eatery.  Arzeena & RJ among experts on how similar incidents were dealt with, on past sailings with the other ship.  

To put GI viruses in perspectives, NYC-DOHMH just released a HAN alert for healthcare pro's that it is trending higher, 353 cases reported last month - in congregate settings (i.e. child care, schools & assisted living facilities) and is not "exclusive" to cruise ships.  Don't worry & be happy ... washy, washy and follow best practices.  

Finding a good cellular signal on the pier from the ship, last time we're there - had to move around because the other ship docked at 90 degree angle at the next berth over deflected & nearly block the signals ... had to sit on/near the balcony for a good connection. 

Tomorrow is Cozumel - cellular signals from Mexico providers are even better.  If your cellular plan coverage is included with extra roaming charges, you can take full advantage of it ... stay usable for a while even after we sailed & left the pier.  

Enjoy !  

• Thanks 1

Two people didn’t make it back to the ship on time at Costa Maya yesterday apparently.  Good think you can drive to Cozumel from there I guess. 

Had a ship excursion to see some of the ruins and made it back by 4:40 for a 5pm sailing.  I knew the ship would wait but still a bit nerve racking for me. 

MSC Divinia was also in port and that ship looked as large if not larger than the Bliss. Need to look up stats later. 

Another ruins tour tour today for me. 

On 1/12/2020 at 10:46 AM, MLA said:

Hi from the Bliss!  Actually, I have the non premium WiFi package and have been using FaceTime to call home daily. So not blocked. Hope someone from NCL doesn’t notice this!  I’ve found the WiFi not bad so far 

Hi MLA!  I am traveling on the Bliss in March and have been curious as to the quality of the WIFI.  How has your experience been with it?  Any issues connecting or accessing sites?  How is the speed?

10 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

Do you happen to know where they sell the Vibe passes? I would really like one on my upcoming cruise on the Bliss, but don't even know where to go to try and get one!

Thank you 🙂

head, I mean RUN to the Social to get your pass......I understand its quite limited. others who have experienced it can be more precise.

18 hours ago, sdere96 said:

Hi MLA!  I am traveling on the Bliss in March and have been curious as to the quality of the WIFI.  How has your experience been with it?  Any issues connecting or accessing sites?  How is the speed?

I think it’s pretty good. I don’t have the even more expensive package for streaming. But I’ve used FaceTime so that takes care of touching base with home. Websites load pretty well. Generally better when in port or early in morning or late at night but way better than the Gem last year. 

On 1/14/2020 at 4:24 PM, mking8288 said:

Hmmm, being "very strict" about hand wash routines before being allowed into the buffet is - sometimes - an early indication of very, very, very minor cases or incidents of suspected stomach viruses onboard.  Be careful - we tried our best to avoid and eat in the MDR or OSH/Locals ... they aren't using disposable paper menus yet or hiding the salt/pepper shakers, napkins/eatery.  Arzeena & RJ among experts on how similar incidents were dealt with, on past sailings with the other ship.  

To put GI viruses in perspectives, NYC-DOHMH just released a HAN alert for healthcare pro's that it is trending higher, 353 cases reported last month - in congregate settings (i.e. child care, schools & assisted living facilities) and is not "exclusive" to cruise ships.  Don't worry & be happy ... washy, washy and follow best practices.  

Finding a good cellular signal on the pier from the ship, last time we're there - had to move around because the other ship docked at 90 degree angle at the next berth over deflected & nearly block the signals ... had to sit on/near the balcony for a good connection. 

Tomorrow is Cozumel - cellular signals from Mexico providers are even better.  If your cellular plan coverage is included with extra roaming charges, you can take full advantage of it ... stay usable for a while even after we sailed & left the pier.  

Enjoy !  

I don’t think there have been any problems at all on the Bliss this trip. I think they are now be8g extra careful. Which is good. 

On 1/15/2020 at 7:02 AM, PistolPete13 said:

Two people didn’t make it back to the ship on time at Costa Maya yesterday apparently.  Good think you can drive to Cozumel from there I guess. 

Had a ship excursion to see some of the ruins and made it back by 4:40 for a 5pm sailing.  I knew the ship would wait but still a bit nerve racking for me. 

MSC Divinia was also in port and that ship looked as large if not larger than the Bliss. Need to look up stats later. 

Another ruins tour tour today for me. 

I was curious about the ruins-- how long did it take to get there and how long where you able to stay? If you could tell us more about your experience with the excursion that would be great.  thanks

Jan 15

Tulum: Not too long a bus ride from the port, 90 mins to 2 hours.  

The day started with meeing in the main theater at 8:45AM for getting off the ship.  It was a bit of a mess due to two factors.  Unfortunately the person on the stage making the announcements had a very heavy accent.  I grew up in NYC and can understand anything but I really had to focus to hear what was being said.  Most of the other passengers were completely befuddled and this lead to some tension with in the room.

During disembarking, the excursion folks ended up in the same stairwell and forward exit as the rest of the ship passengers.  We had a ferry to catch and again this led to some more tension with everyone.

Once out on the dock, it was a mad dash to the ferry where we had to wait on another long line to board that.  The ferry was a dual hulled design but the 45 minute ride was still very choppy and rough.  Rough enough that you do NOT want to get up and walk around or you’ll end up on your butt or worse.  Those that are prone to motion sickness, make note of this.

The NCL tour was well run by the operator.  Unfortunately we had one person in our group that was upset at being led around for most of the day.  I didn’t quite get it, this was a guided tour after all.  Once we departed from the ship, we had to walk into basically a large public open air mall to find the folks holding up NCL signs.  It was a bit nerve racking because our group turned out to be the furthest from the mall entrance where we all came in.

Once we had all gathered up, we were given tags to stick on our shirt to designate our group number.  Then it was off to meet the bus.  Now the bus was another 10 minute walk or so on the narrow local sidewalks outside of the mall.  The sidewalks are barely wide enough for two people so the group will get stretched out given the different walking speeds of the people.  You do have to make an effort to keep up however.  There was no tour guide to bring up the rear of the group yet and you don’t want to get separated.

At the bus depot there was only time for a quick bathroom break and ticket validation before we hit the road.  The roads in this area are much more developed compared to Costa Maya.  The paved areas and 2 lane highways made for a much smoother and quicker ride.  There is a quick stop at a souvenir shop / glass factory / chocolate factory for a bathroom break and a demonstration of how cocoa is harvested and processed (not at the same time).  Once back on the road it was a quick 45 mins or so to the Tulum site.

The site itself is very developed and commercialized.  It was packed with locals and other cruise ship passengers even midweek.  Think about a Six-Flags amusement park and you’ll get the idea.  The crowds are so large that the tour guide handed out portable headset communicators to all the passengers.  Once you have this in your ear, you will be able to follow his instructions and descriptions of the ruins.  If you stray too far from the group, you’ll be out of range and only hear static.  It took another good 20 minutes of milling about and walking to the main entrance before we finally enter the site via a narrow entrance in the rock wall.  Be careful of selfie sticks and people stopping right in front of you for pictures!

Next came a quick 20 - 25 minute walking tour of the major areas before we were set loose to wander the site on our own.  All of the ruins were roped off so you were not able to get close.  For the camera folks, bring along a good zoom.  I had an 80-200mm lens on a second body as an example.

There is also a beach area where you can take a quick dip in so inclined.  The ruins are overlooking the ocean but it’s tough to get a good photo of both the ruins and the turquoise water at the same time.  There are also plenty of large iguanas roaming the grounds sunning themselves.

Please make a note of the time you’re needed to be back on the bus and give yourself a good buffer to make it.

Using myself as an example, I walk about 5 miles a day on average and 8 miles if I goto the gym that day.  From the furthest point in the park, it took me a solid 20-25 minutes at a brisk pace to get back to the parking lot.  I was also carrying about 25 pounds of camera gear.  It was hot and humid so I was drenched by the time I got back.  If you’re not used to walking these distances at that pace, give yourself plenty of time.

You are provided with a bottle of water and some light snacks.  Lunch is not provided so keep this in mind.  For me a break from eating was needed after gorging myself for the last 10 days or so.

Once back on the bus, it was a straight shot back to the port for the ferry.  We arrived to the port around 2 PM and was told we had an hour or so to kill before meeting for the ferry at 3:15PM.  This was when one of the passengers lost it and demanded they be given their ferry ticket right then and there so they can get back to the boat ASAP after being led around all day.

So to summarize, the total amount of time at the ruins was about 90 minutes.  30 minutes guided and 1 hour on your own.  The one hour was just enough for me to make one loop of the site using the roped off paths and some picture taking.

At this point I didn’t want to be nosy and walked away.  Not sure how the poor tour guide dealt with it, but I didn’t see this person again when we lined up for the ferry.

OK, so that was my overlong long description of the Tulum Ruins tour.  I’m writing this while sitting in a shaded chair on deck 17.  It’s way windy in the sunny areas right now and there is a chill in the air already.  We’re just north of Cuba heading back to NYC.

If you’re still reading this and not asleep, I want to thank you.  This is literally my first time attempting to “write” normally in close to 25 years.  I work in a technical field and I’m used to just writing in code day all day for machines.  I have no writing “style” to speak of and will probably need much more seat time to develop that.

To wrap up the Tulum tour, this was a night and day different experience compared to the Kohunlich & Dzibanche Ruins tour.  I will post a more detailed description of that trip later.

• Like 5

Great write-up ... and you still got free WiFi minutes remaining. Love to see those tour pictures uploaded layer on. 

See the ship on AIS radar tracking ... in a busy shipping label, should see cargo & other ships in this area, by tomorrow - north of Miami. 

Are they rotating 2 different MDR lunch menus and or offering specials midday ? 😋  For remainder of the "long" 14 days cruise (oh, no ... heading back already) - expect everyONE to discover & show up in the MDR for dinner - longer lines & wait.  

Screenshot_20200116-113952.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

Test post using the “free WiFi”. 

Thanks for the MDR tip. Glad I made reservations before sailing. 

Lunch is always buffet x2 for me.  No patience to wait.  

Heard a lot of coughing and sneezing in the main theater waiting for excursions yesterday. Don’t think there is a huge issue yet. 

• Like 1

LOL, we've learned - only gain 1 lb each on our last 8 days, limiting our pick of red meat (Moderno & that miserable porthouse in Cagney's ... lamb in MDR and the decent mushroom burger in OSH/Locals)   Starter/appetizer were fairly petite, even by DW's standard - double or triples/or extra "samplers" aren't a bad idea. 

No more prime ribs night, seafood or Asian buffet night upstairs ?  

Go explore the ship, bow to stern & checkout different deck ... that should help, or else, find that fitness center.  Too short of a walk from the buffet down to your stateroom doing the stairs(master) :classic_tongue:   No regrets, once you disembark & get home, you are going to miss all that - enjoy it while onboard, it's already fully paid for.  

Coughing & squeezing is normal for this time of the year, seasonal flu in full upswing ... far more serious acute illness than GI (noro)virus, cruisers love the drama.  

Good to know CC website is now a free site to read & post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Coughing & squeezing is normal for this time of the year, seasonal flu in full upswing ... far more serious acute illness than GI (noro)virus, cruisers love the drama.  

Good to know CC website is now a free site to read & post.

my office mate has been coughing since august.  i think he inoculated me against everything since i didnt get sick on my christmas cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

🙉

Standby for the possible "mysterial" pandemic pneumonia flu/alike symptoms hysteria fear and panic plunge in global travel, if the news media has their way ... remember the 2003-04 SARS days.  WHO has been tracking and monitoring with its suspected origin in Wuhan, China - it is believed that they tracked down patient zero already but labs still working to classify the virus(es).  Airlines, hotels & even cruiselines took hits then ... temperature scan as part of the security screening, remember those :classic_ohmy: 

DW had a routine scheduled radiology appointment in one of the largest ambulatory care network system in our area yesterday; and, the reception staff was screening & doing quick triage  - just in case, asking about recent travel history & symptoms, etc.  Good news, the surgical masks & boxes of tissues aren't out yet.  

On 1/14/2020 at 4:24 PM, mking8288 said:

Enjoy !  

For NCL someone washing peoples hands at the buffet is standard on all ships. They do a very good job keeping people and the ship clean. It would be overexaggerating to imply that the Washy Washy person is there because there is an outbreak or something like that. 99% of the time its normal.

• Like 1

@mking8288 you were right about the sea lane. Several tankers and container ships spotted.  Any other ocean liner running in parallel off our starboard?   I see a large white speck in the distance but can’t make it out. 

In terms of the hand washing and spraying before the buffet, I could only compare it to my first cruise on the Escape last May when most of the people were ignoring the washy washy guy. A lot more compliance on this trip.  

Already at the gym for the the second time today.  Gotta make up for those desserts!

Prime rib night at the buffet last night.  It definitely wasn’t that good and I’m normally a human garbage can for food. 

I’ll post more thoughts later but food quality in the buffet has gone down compared to my trip on the Escape just last May.  

The lack of salmon and other seafood choices jumped out me. The fish they had was all deep fried so much you can hardly tell what it is besides bread crumbs. 

Nothing close enough on AIS that I can see, a USCG fast cutter was in area 3 hours ago and there's a cargo ship about 50 nm behind, portside.  Norwegian Pearl heading for Miami but 150 nm behind.

Sea states looking okay as ship heading toward north overnight, just the usual swell & chops, Saturday could be windy. Enjoy those sea days & if haven't done room service breakfast lite, tomorrow would be a good time to order it.

Very wind in NY today, gust to 50 mph but warm for mid January, 40°F turning colder toward weekend, a light wintry mix on Saturday, maybe 1-3 cm light coat of snow.  Go enjoy early dinner 🛳️

Screenshot_20200116-170454.png

Collage 2020-01-16 17_03_21.jpg