Can I use my phone as a hot spot?

MOSusan

1 minute ago, lks1165 said:

so no matter what someone needs to have bought the package, correct?

Ty

Yes.  At least one person has to have purchased a package.  Whether you’ll be able to hot-spot is a little uncertain.

We're leaving on Explorer in 2 days on our first Diamond cruise.  The DW and I will share our two free 24 hour sessions spread out through the week.  I'll give the WiFi sharing a try and let you know the results.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:51 PM, MOSusan said:

I thought you had to choose which device you were going to use for the cruise.  How can you switch between the phone and computer?

They make it easy for you. 

When you log in with your second device, it will say "device limit reached" and give you a button to "switch devices." 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Explorer - phone still in airplane mode, logged into WiFi on my phone, turned on the hotspot feature, and my wife was able to connect her phone and her tablet to my hotspot and access the internet.  Now the connection was as slow as dial-up but that is due to the speed available on the ship, not the hotspot.

I have a Google Pixel 3a running Android 10.

27 minutes ago, Rewind said:

Now the connection was as slow as dial-up but that is due to the speed available on the ship, not the hotspot.

The overhead to hotspot does make performance even worse than normal, just don't know by how much. A Windows 10 laptop can also hot spot and its overhead is terrible for performance.

There will be a little overhead, but I think the bigger consideration is how many devices you connect.  I think this method is ok for adding in one or two more devices where you are just checking email, but don't expect to get a whole family on it that is streaming videos.

1 minute ago, Rewind said:

There will be a little overhead, but I think the bigger consideration is how many devices you connect. 

I can tell you from personal experience that the overhead on a laptop when you share wifi does terrible things to the already poor performance of a VOOM connection. The .5Mbps and 600 ms ping from Surf, went down to under .2Mbps and almost 1000ms ping on the second device - I guess it all depends on what the main connecting device is doing with the connection (which you can't really control). For anyone that really wants to share a connection, a travel router is probably the better way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, KCMiller said:

I have a Verizon Jetpack, which is a standalone mobile hotspot.  If I bring that with me and purchase the one device plan, can I connect more than one device?  

Unless that device can hot spot a WiFi signal, no.