Fort Lauderdale Hotels convenient to shopping and offer shuttle from airport

AALCRUISER

We are looking for a hotel that would be convenient to walking to shopping to purchase our sodas and wine before boarding cruise ship the next day and restaurant in walking distance. It does not have to be in Fort Lauderdale, but close enough that it offers free shuttle to and from airport. We can either Uber or take a taxi to Port Everglades. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Dania, in October and they shuttled us to a shopping center, but I have read that the Kmart in that shopping center is closing and we are sailing in March. Does anyone know if hotels in Plantation or Cypress would be a good option?

Any of the hotels in the downtown/17th Street area (Embassy Suites, Hyatt, etc.) will be close to shopping and dining.  I would not focus too much on free airport shuttles - Uber/Lyft and taxis are easy and cheap options.

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

Any of the hotels in the downtown/17th Street area (Embassy Suites, Hyatt, etc.) will be close to shopping and dining.  I would not focus too much on free airport shuttles - Uber/Lyft and taxis are easy and cheap options.

Agree.  It boggles the mind how often there are posts here looking for "free shuttles".

I am fully aware of 17TH street hotels as I have traveled to FLL often, I am currently booked at a hotel on 17TH, but was just asking for monetary purposes to see if I could  find a hotel not as expensive that offered shopping and restaurants near by. I have researched on this site and others before I ask this question and read many post regarding other hotels and was just trying to see if I could have a recommendation other than 17TH street locations. I guess I should have stated that in my original post. I do not deserve this snarky comments. I am not looking for a hotel that has to provide a shuttle to the cruise terminal as I have already considered Uber or another means of transportation.  

For a hotel option that's often cheaper than 17th Street, I prefer the Marina Mile hotels.

It is a leafy business area and the hotels surround the Southland Shopping Center where you will find anything you need last-minute for your cruise! Good restaurants, a grocery store (with pharmacy), a liquor store, fast food and several shops.

Holiday Inn Express

Candlewood Suites

Hampton Inn

Best Western

PortEvergladesHotel-Clusters.jpg

Edited by SteerageJoe
  • Like 2

The most important factor here is your budget. We're staying at the Hilton Garden Inn for $150 US and it does offer a free airport shuttle (paid port shuttle). There are less expensive places which don't offer a shuttle, but Über/Lyft are super-inexpensive, much more convenient and get you where you want to go without having to wait for others to load up the shuttle with baggage and people. Sometimes spending $20 to stay at a place without a shuttle and taking a ride-share is worth the time savings/convenience.

I agree, most of the time when we cruise we do not use the hotel shuttle to the port, just for the reasons you listed, you are going to the port when they choose to drive you not on your time you wish to go.

thank you.

Do not stay on Cypress Creek Road.  It is sketchy as hell and will take forever to get to the port.  It isn't convenient to anything but Cypress Creek Road.

Marina Mile also has really dismal hotels.  Avoid Rodeway Inn, Red Roof or Red Carpet or whatever it is and Candlewood Suites.  

That Southland Shopping Center is GROSS.

On your list, the areas in this order:

Las Olas Boulevard (three new hotels have opened in the past six months_)

17th Street

Plantation/Sawgrass

I like the hotels out by the TriRail Stop and Bass Pro Shop but that area is a little depressing and not where I'd want to start my vacation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Do not stay on Cypress Creek Road.  It is sketchy as hell and will take forever to get to the port.  It isn't convenient to anything but Cypress Creek Road.

Marina Mile also has really dismal hotels.  Avoid Rodeway Inn, Red Roof or Red Carpet or whatever it is and Candlewood Suites.  

17th Street

Plantation/Sawgrass

I like the hotels out by the TriRail Stop and Bass Pro Shop but that area is a little depressing and not where I'd want to start my vacation.

Thank you for this info. We currently have a room reserved at the Fairfield Inn Las Olas but having never sailed out of FFL, only POM, I wasn't familiar with what is sketchy and what isn't. I was looking to see what options were out there but I think we will just stay put with where we're booked. 

16 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

17th Street

Plantation/Sawgrass

I stayed at the hotels around the Southland Shopping Center numerous times. Never had any issues whatsoever. Saved a lot of money over the years. 

I stand by my suggestion to consider hotels such as the Hampton Inn next to Southland Shopping Center. Not all of us want to spend $400+ a night for lodging before a cruise. A weeklong vacation hotel choice is one thing. A decent/safe/affordable place to sleep close to the port before a cruise is another.

Tripadvisor agrees with me - 2400 reviewers rate the Hampton Inn 4.5 out of 5 stars. Read here. Many call it the PERFECT cruise hotel!

While there, also read the reviews for the EXCELLENT Mini Pita in the same shopping center - Check it out.

And that's all I have to say about that....

23 hours ago, BlondieB said:

Thank you for this info. We currently have a room reserved at the Fairfield Inn Las Olas but having never sailed out of FFL, only POM, I wasn't familiar with what is sketchy and what isn't. I was looking to see what options were out there but I think we will just stay put with where we're booked. 

That is a brand new hotel, I think they opened in August, and it is just a block off Las Olas.

Great restaurants right new there, Big City Tavern, Lobster Bar within a short walk.  The Riverside Hotel has The Boathouse on the water which is a very nice place to have a drink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dcruisers said:

We love Hampton Inn Plantation- great shopping, many restaurants with airport shuttle and shuttle to pier for small fee.

we are staying there again next Saturday before our cruise!

I agree.  We will be staying at the Hampton Inn Plantation for the third time later this month.