South Beach, Downtown Miami, some where else Help making myself crazy??

JSR

This is one of those ridiculous problems caused by too many choices...

Our cruise leaves on a Monday, March 23, 2020 so we decided to fly to Florida on Friday and spend the weekend in Florida. It sounded like a fun idea but then I confused myself with too many choices. I have narrowed it down to some choices but an open to other ideas. Lets have lots of input, as I can not get any more confused. LOL

1) Victor in South Beach right in the heart of the action

2) Epic in Downtown Miami

3) W in Miami Beach (North of South Beach)

4) Just come one night before and stay near Port Everglades (FLL)

South Beach can get  loud at night, especially on the weekends.  But it is very lively, with music, performers, lights, police, EMS, etc. Especially right on the ocean.  Move back two blocks to Washington Avenue and things get  quieter. Move back two more blocks and they might as well roll up the sidewalks.

My wife and I have taken the Art Deco tours in South Beach / Miami Beach. These small group tours visit 1930s and 1940s hotel lobbies, bars, and other areas in the heart of South Beach.  The same people run a walking tour of Little Havana in Miami.  Their South Beach tour could be a good intro to their area, leaving you free to circle back to places of interest

Thanks JohninDC. My DH and I are originally from DC both grew up there and lived there as young adults. Wonderful city. What part of the city do you live in? The city has changed so much in the last 25 yrs. since we moved west. My last apartment was on Connectiicut Ave and Woodley. 

We have taken one of the Art Deco walking tours. Glad to know there are more. Would love to do the little Havana walking tour. Is it also through the Art Deco society or is it another group? Do you have any hotels to recommend on Washington? We have stayed at the Lowe’s but though it would be fun to be right there. We will bring earplugs. The Victor does come with breakfast in the former Versace mansion which sounded fun.  

South Beach for sure.  You can also try the hop on off bus which picks up all over South Beach.  Take that to Wynwood, downtown, and Little Havana.  But I'd for sure prefer to stay on South Beach and visit the other areas for lunch or dinner.

• Like 1

Hopefully someone else knows what I'm referring to ....

Has anyone ever had one of those experiences in life that was just so perfect that it cements itself in your mind and you long to experience it again and again.   I know that sounds sappy and over dramatic, but that was our experience in South Beach several years ago.   Without any knowledge of the area or recommendations from anyone, prior to our first ever Royal cruise we flew in to Miami and booked a place in South Beach.  It was an art deco hotel, freshly remodeled, so there weren't any reviews available.  We took a chance, and boy did that chance pay off!   We stayed in the Ocean Reef.  It was nice.  Nothing overly special about the room.  It was clean, comfortable and well-appointed.  This was in 2010 I believe.   We had rented a car for those 5 days pre-cruise because my husband had never been anywhere near Miami before so we wanted to explore.  Side Note:  I won't rent a car there again this time because once you're in SOBE there are limited parking options and they're pricey, and a car isn't necessary in south beach.  The second night we were there, we walked out of the hotel and intended to walk one block over and find a place to get a drink ocean-front, but the little place directly across the street from our hotel caught our eye.  It's small, wedged between two hotels (one of which was The Kent).  We took a chance, thought we'd just grab a cocktail and make a game plan for the rest of the night.   This is an open-air place -- the tables are under the trees.  Very tropical, very casual, beautiful ambient lighting, great music playing, and the absolute best mojito we've ever had to this day.  The place was a gem.  We stayed till closing time. . . and came back the next three nights.  Those three evenings still stand out to both of us to this day.  

We haven't been back to Miami since, but this coming November, we are cruising out of Miami.  First thing I did was look up the Ocean Reef on google maps to make sure it's still there (it is, and has been redone again), and to see if by any chance that little place was still across the street.  IT IS!!!!!!!    I can only hope it still has the same ambiance it did back then.  

I highly recommend South Beach.  And if you do South Beach, I'd not recommend the rental car.  It's not necessary, and it's expensive to park.  

JSR, By a WIDE, HUGE margin, The W Hotel!  I've had problems finding it lately for under $1,000  per night so I'm assuming you found  decent rate.  The hotel is gorgeous and the pool area divine.

I love the Victor Hotel but sadly they removed the super cool jellyfish tank  in the lobby.

Honestly, instead of taking a Little Havana tour, because it is a working, blue collar Cuban neighborhood, I would just do some research, dine at Versailles and head across the street at nightfall to Ball & Chain for live music and salsa, bachata, and merengue lessons.  The live music under the pineapple bandshell is a memorable time for sure.

Also, earlier in the day, head over to Wynwood and take a look at the Walls before they are removed in the next couple of months.

Wow everyone is so much help! I appreciate all the input. Keep it coming while I am booking things now we do not leave until March 20. 

I have gone from: been there done that attitude to being very excited about our weekend as a result of all your input. Many thanks.

The first time I was in SB was with my husband and parents in the very early 90s when my dad pointed to one of the Art Deco hotels and said, that is where I was billeted before I shipped out in WWII. You could tell it was a highlight for an 18 year old headed to war. 

Since then we have been back many times and seen SB go through various phases and change a lot.  What's it like now?

We have never stayed in the Art Deco area and wondering if it would be fun to have that experience? We have mainly stayed at the Lowes which is a little out way. 

We are foodies, like to people watch, we like a cocktail or two without an umbrella, we are not into the club scene, though we love live music.

Blue Heron- I would not say we found a great deal at W. Rooms running around $800 which is more then I would like to spend but not out of the question since I finally got a good deal on airfare.

JSR, the Loews is not out of the way at all.  

The Deco District has one very bad thing going for it, since all the hotels are historical the basic structure cannot be changed and they have very thin walls.  I would not stay in the Deco District (Ocean Drive from Fifth through 14th or so) unless at The Betsy or The Victor.  Right off Ocean Drive I like The Hotel Of South Beach.

Yes, my inlaws spent their honeymoon in South Beach in the 1952 right after WWII and it was an emotional time for sure.

You need to go to The Broken Shaker and The Faena if you are into cocktails in a great setting.  As always, mojitos at the Delano Pool Bar, Sky Bar at Shore Club, SLS.

Edited by BlueHerons

34 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

JSR, the Loews is not out of the way at all.  

The Deco District has one very bad thing going for it, since all the hotels are historical the basic structure cannot be changed and they have very thin walls.  I would not stay in the Deco District (Ocean Drive from Fifth through 14th or so) unless at The Betsy or The Victor.  Right off Ocean Drive I like The Hotel Of South Beach.

Yes, my inlaws spent their honeymoon in South Beach in the 1952 right after WWII and it was an emotional time for sure.

You need to go to The Broken Shaker and The Faena if you are into cocktails in a great setting.  As always, mojitos at the Delano Pool Bar, Sky Bar at Shore Club, SLS.

Any not to be missed lunch, dinner, or breakfast (we do have breakfast included but we won't let that limit us) places? Our preferences are for seafood, fish, Asian,.. least fav, is Italian. We like everything from dives on up. 

The Victor came up because I was thinking it would be fun to stay at Versace mansion, but I need a wheelchair accessible room and the mansion does not have any. They share the same management company and we do have the option of having breakfast in the mansion. Thought that would be a kick. 

Interesting about the Lowes, I just remember it being a long walk/roll, maybe I was tired from the cocktails. lol  We do want to try something different though. I figure the hotel is the most flexible over the next few months. I have the Victor reserved and may make some additional reservations. The Ritz Carlton was on our list but they are sold out. I will check out the others that were mentioned. 

Just a heads up, it is Loews not Lowes. 

Do not miss dining for me is Michaels Genuine (Design District). Ortanique (Mile), Yardbird (SB), Smith &  Wollensky (South of Fifth), Versailles (Little Havana), Tigertail+Mary (Grove) to name a few.  Miami has thousands of really good restaurants.

I doubt we will want to run around a lot. Maybe one day to see the murals and Little Havana (though we have been there before but we both love Cuban food) and then limit ourselves to SB area. We tend to be a bit lazy on holiday. 

17 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Right off Ocean Drive I like The Hotel Of South Beach.

BlueHerons,

As always, I enjoy reading your recommendations here on CC.

We will be staying at The Hotel of South Beach this April for 2 nights before a cruise.

Are there any restaurants in that area that you would recommend? We enjoy all types of food.

11 minutes ago, bbqoug said:

BlueHerons,

We will be staying at The Hotel of South Beach this April for 2 nights before a cruise.

Are there any restaurants in that area that you would recommend? We enjoy all types of food.

It has been a while since I have been there but it still gets good reviews. A Fish Called Avalon.

1 hour ago, JSR said:

It has been a while since I have been there but it still gets good reviews. A Fish Called Avalon.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that we already have reservations for A Fish Called Avalon for our 2nd night in SB. I'm glad to hear that you liked it when you ate there.

I'm trying to decide on a restaurant for our first night. Possibly Byblos or Lario's On The Beach, although we are definitely open to suggestions.

11 hours ago, bbqoug said:

BlueHerons,

I think for Cuban Havana 1957 or Puerto Sagua.  Davids used to be my favorite when it was a sit down restaurant on Meridian and Lincoln Road but now they  are more of a walk up.  Havana 1957 alfresco on Espanola Way.

We love Smith & Wollensky, Prime 112, and Yardbird in South Beach.  Lots of good restaurants.  I've not eaten at AFCA since it first opened so I don't remember much about it.  We used to stay regularly at their sister hotel The South Seas. 

If you like Italian Macchialina is the best Italian in all of Miami but we also like Prime Italian.

The rooftop pool at The Hotel of South Beach was the first one in South Beach and it has always been my favorite with the exception of 1 Hotel (formerly Gansavoort) which has the best rooftop pool anywhere outside of Marina Bay Sands in Singapore.

4 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

I think for Cuban Havana 1957 or Puerto Sagua.  Davids used to be my favorite when it was a sit down restaurant on Meridian and Lincoln Road but now they  are more of a walk up.  Havana 1957 alfresco on Espanola Way.

We love Smith & Wollensky, Prime 112, and Yardbird in South Beach.  Lots of good restaurants.  I've not eaten at AFCA since it first opened so I don't remember much about it.  We used to stay regularly at their sister hotel The South Seas. 

If you like Italian Macchialina is the best Italian in all of Miami but we also like Prime Italian.

The rooftop pool at The Hotel of South Beach was the first one in South Beach and it has always been my favorite with the exception of 1 Hotel (formerly Gansavoort) which has the best rooftop pool anywhere outside of Marina Bay Sands in Singapore.

Thank you.

Great information for us to research.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:49 PM, BlueHerons said:

We now have reservations to Smith & Wollensky & are looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, bbqoug said:

We now have reservations to Smith & Wollensky & are looking forward to it.

Make sure you get a table outside!  My favorite bar in South Beach!  

Fantastic food, one of the few places in South Florida where the steaks are dry aged.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made to dining reservations

Friday night: A Fish Called Avalon

Sunday night: Stubborn Seed

Considering: Sittsville Fish Bar for lunch Saturday then having a light dinner somewhere in the art Deco area

Is Joe's Crabs any good or just touristy?