Adapter question

So I went to JB Hifi to buy an adapter for our cruise to New Zealand as I read the powerpoints are US. I picked this off the shelf and asked the sales guy if I had the right thing. He was unsure as he said it might not convert the voltage. He couldn't direct me to someone that would know. Do I go back and buy it? Is the adapter supposed to increase the voltage or just make the plug fit in? 

20200108_145906.jpg

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Most devices will charge quite happily on 110 volts, they just take a bit longer. Some hair appliances may not work though unless they are dual voltage.

Thanks that helps. And I just bought a travel hair drier which cleverly has a switch to change the voltage accordingly.

4 minutes ago, CarolineAtSea said:

Thanks that helps. And I just bought a travel hair drier which cleverly has a switch to change the voltage accordingly.

If you change your hairdryer to 110v for our trip, MAKE SURE you change it back the last time you use it on the ship. Years ago, after we got home from a trip to the US I gave my hairdryer to one of my teenage kids. The next thing there was a frightened call that there were flames coming out of the hairdryer. If 240volts goes into the hairdryer when it is set at 110v, the least problem will be a 'fried' hairdryer. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you change your hairdryer to 110v for our trip, MAKE SURE you change it back the last time you use it on the ship. Years ago, after we got home from a trip to the US I gave my hairdryer to one of my teenage kids. The next thing there was a frightened call that there were flames coming out of the hairdryer. If 240volts goes into the hairdryer when it is set at 110v, the least problem will be a 'fried' hairdryer. 

Thanks for the tip. I did read that in the instructions. I've never had an appliance that can change like this.

Caroline,  Golden Princess has hair dryers attached to the wall in the cabin.  I think pretty much all modern cruise ships provide hair dryers in the cabins.  If you use a hair straightener/curler then check it might be dual voltage.  Look at the compliance plate if you can.  Many small electrical appliances like these automatically switch from 110 to 240 volts without you having to do anything.

If you have trouble with an adaptor then the cabin steward will provide you with one.  Happy sailing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ondine said:

If you use a hair straightener/curler then check it might be dual voltage.  Look at the compliance plate if you can.  Many small electrical appliances like these automatically switch from 110 to 240 volts without you having to do anything.

Small electrical appliances like hair dryers, straighteners or curlers would not be able to switch automatically from 110 to 240 volts.

However, the charging of appliances that work on battery power (e.g. shaver, camera, phone) can usually be done on either voltage. Check the compliance plate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Caroline,  Golden Princess has hair dryers attached to the wall in the cabin. 

Which are dreadful. Even with my short fine hair they take a relatively long time to dry it compared with my home hairdryer. For anyone who actually wants to style their hair it would be nearly impossible as there is no styling nozzle on them.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I have seen a photo of the hair drier in the cabins and it seems to be inside a drawer with a curly cord. That's why I bought a travel hair drier as my home one is quite bulky. The bonus is the dual voltage which I had never seen before.

The problem with the "long" adaptors is that the power points are so low to the desks that these often don't fit.

I would be almost certain that you wont be able to get this in the power point.

Edited by MrPantsOz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CarolineAtSea said:

Thanks everyone. I have seen a photo of the hair drier in the cabins and it seems to be inside a drawer with a curly cord. That's why I bought a travel hair drier as my home one is quite bulky. The bonus is the dual voltage which I had never seen before.

It may depend on on what type of cabin you're in but when we were on Golden, in an inside cabin, the hairdryer was attached to the wall near the TV. It had an oblong air flow end on it, I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrPantsOz said:

The problem with the "long" adaptors is that the power points are so low to the desks that these often don't fit.

I would be almost certain that you wont be able to get this in the power point.

Phew.  That worked out well then, as I ended up grabbing a two pack of smaller ones from Harvey Norman when I was buying an SD card. Cheaper too.😁

On 1/8/2020 at 9:07 PM, CarolineAtSea said:

So I went to JB Hifi to buy an adapter for our cruise to New Zealand as I read the powerpoints are US. I picked this off the shelf and asked the sales guy if I had the right thing. He was unsure as he said it might not convert the voltage. He couldn't direct me to someone that would know. Do I go back and buy it? Is the adapter supposed to increase the voltage or just make the plug fit in? 

20200108_145906.jpg

Hi Caroline at seas,

I have been on the Sun Princess, as well as Holland boats and they both use the European plugs.

Maybe you could phone Princess and ask what the golden princess plugs are, just in case you have the wrong adapter, then you can take it back to jb and exchange 

seas as are calling 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, seas are calling said:

Hi Caroline at seas,

I have been on the Sun Princess, as well as Holland boats and they both use the European plugs.

Maybe you could phone Princess and ask what the golden princess plugs are, just in case you have the wrong adapter, then you can take it back to jb and exchange 

seas as are calling 

Thanks. I did check before I went shopping. I either read on their site or read on these forums that the sockets are US.

17 minutes ago, CarolineAtSea said:

Thanks. I did check before I went shopping. I either read on their site or read on these forums that the sockets are US.

Golden definitely has US 110v sockets, as do most cruise ships. 

Some ships do have 220v sockets, either requiring a European plug or an Aus/NZ plug but, from memory, Golden doesn't have one of these. Neither does Ruby.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Golden definitely has US 110v sockets, as do most cruise ships. 

Some ships do have 220v sockets, either requiring a European plug or an Aus/NZ plug but, from memory, Golden doesn't have one of these. Neither does Ruby.

You are correct, no 220 v sockets on Golden, just the US 110v ones and not many of those. 

Leigh

• Like 1