Monday Morning Traffic Between FLL & Port of Miami - Friday return as well

Perki

Hello,

We usually stay in the port city where we are departing but this year we are considering staying in Ft Lauderdale instead of where the ship departs which is Miami.

We are going to be taking one of Navigator's Mon-Fri 4night cruises, and are wondering how bad traffic will be on Monday morning around 10am, Ft Lauderdale to Miami so we can plan appropriately...is this an hour trip around that time of the morning or should we expect a traffic jam so it will be longer?  

Same for the trip back, it would be around 10 or 11am Friday, Miami back to Ft. Lauderdale, thank you!

Edited by Perki

Your title is a bit confusing - sounds like you are asking about travel times between FLL airport and POM, but the title indicates MIA - which is the Miami International Airport.

I suspect that by 10:00 the worst of the rush hour traffic will be gone, but would budget at least 45 minutes for the trip - hopefully one of the locals will respond with some more recent weekday traffic experience.

5 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Your title is a bit confusing - sounds like you are asking about travel times between FLL airport and POM, but the title indicates MIA - which is the Miami International Airport.

I suspect that by 10:00 the worst of the rush hour traffic will be gone, but would budget at least 45 minutes for the trip - hopefully one of the locals will respond with some more recent weekday traffic experience.

Thank you, the airport & port are so close to one another the few minutes difference wouldn't be much, but I have changed the title to the Port thank you. And I was hoping for locals who are familiar with work rush hour traffic to hopefully be able to give me some pointers....her in Las Vegas it can last until around 9/10am for morning but afternoon it starts before 3 and lasts til 6. thank you again

37 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Rush hour will still be going on but it will not be as bad as 8AM traffic.

So then will the drive be an hour? 2hrs? I would like to be to the port around 10:30/11:00 so leave 9ish? Thank you

5 minutes ago, Perki said:

So then will the drive be an hour? 2hrs? I would like to be to the port around 10:30/11:00 so leave 9ish? Thank you

Not unless there is an accident.  Watch the local news; ABC, NBC, CBS, and 7.  They will all give traffic updates constantly.

8 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Not unless there is an accident.  Watch the local news; ABC, NBC, CBS, and 7.  They will all give traffic updates constantly.

Ok thank you, I didn't know the local news in Ft Lauderdale would show traffic times/ delays heading into Miami or not.  Thank you

45-mins-75-mins I think would be around the average. 

Did Downtown Ft. Lauderdale to Downtown Miami today, took 47-mins at 11:30am. 

Drive from Port Miami towards Ft. Lauderdale in the morning is better, usually around 35-45mins. 

19 hours ago, Perki said:

Ok thank you, I didn't know the local news in Ft Lauderdale would show traffic times/ delays heading into Miami or not.  Thank you

It is the local news for Miami, Fort Lauderdale, the Keys, Key West, and parts of the Bahamas.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, JohninDC said:

This is accurate.  I'd figure about 45 min or so and it may end up being slightly less.  It's an easy drive, all highway that connects airport right to the port, and traffic is unlikely to be that bad at 10am at all, but you just never know.

Whenever I drive to Miami on a weekday, I tend to wait until around 10 or so.  It's rarely bad traffic.

Edited by BNBR
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mattR said:

Drove from FLL to MIA on Monday Jan 6/20  Left at 9:45 and it took us 35min we did use the express lane as we got closer to the MIA exit  on I 95

Thank you so much for that information!

17 hours ago, mattR said:

Drove from FLL to MIA on Monday Jan 6/20  Left at 9:45 and it took us 35min we did use the express lane as we got closer to the MIA exit  on I 95

The only bad thing about the hot lane is that if traffic is bad, it can cost you $10.