Tour Company Recommendations in Reykjavik

Ladybug18

Hello!

We will be in Reykjavik this July 2020 for one day. We were suppose to have be there from noon until 4pm the following day but unfortunately NCL has changed our itinerary and we now only have from 1:30pm - midnight in Reykjavik. We are disappointed to lose such valuable time in Reykjavik. 

We are looking to do a Golden Circle tour. Any recommendations for a reputable tour company to book with to do this tour? My husband and I will be traveling with our soon to be 8 year old son. 

Thanks

Edited by Ladybug18

9 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Finding one that doesn't start until 2PM or later will be the tough part.

As I've mentioned above, there are at least 2 companies who cater to cruise ships and tailor the tours according to the ship's schedule in port.

Beside Saga travel, there is also FAB

https://www.fabtravel.is/en/cruise-ship/cruise-ships-in-reykjavik-2022

The tour to the Golden Circle is 5-6 hours, plenty of time from 2PM to 8PM.

I can also recommend FAB Tours, very professional. Your son will love the geysirs and bubbling hot pools and the waterfalls!  If you have other stops in Iceland they make a reduction in cost if more than one tour is booked.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, dani negreanu said:

We've done it with Saga, highly recommended. 

https://sagatravel.is/

They have tours addapted/tailored to the cruise ships schedule -- look for this option: "shore excursions".

Thank you. I booked a Golden Circle tour with Saga Travel. When I informed them of our time change they were able to schedule a tour that starts at 2:30pm. 

1 hour ago, Ladybug18 said:

Thank you. I am looking forward to it. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your Saga tour. What did you like about them?

First of all, pre-cruise service. I've booked the cruise quite late (5 months before the date), and many tours were already sold out.

I've asked if, through the roll call, I'll find others, would they open another tour? They said yes, and I managed to find others. The replies were prompt and very informative and helpful.

The day of the tour -- a representative from the company was on the pier, with a list, and all the vans were on their way in a timely manner.

The tour was done while keeping in touch with other drivers -- so they arranged the schedule in order to minimize the "crowd"... For example, we started from the fartest point, others started from the nearest.

We managed to see a lot, the guides/drivers were very nice and knew how to keep us on schedule.

Last but not least -- Iceland is amazing and the people are very laid back and friendly.

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

First of all, pre-cruise service. I've booked the cruise quite late (5 months before the date), and many tours were already sold out.

I've asked if, through the roll call, I'll find others, would they open another tour? They said yes, and I managed to find others. The replies were prompt and very informative and helpful.

The day of the tour -- a representative from the company was on the pier, with a list, and all the vans were on their way in a timely manner.

The tour was done while keeping in touch with other drivers -- so they arranged the schedule in order to minimize the "crowd"... For example, we started from the fartest point, others started from the nearest.

We managed to see a lot, the guides/drivers were very nice and knew how to keep us on schedule.

Last but not least -- Iceland is amazing and the people are very laid back and friendly.

Wow, thank you so much. It sounds like Saga Travel is a great company. I’m glad we booked with them. Sometimes you never know so it’s nice to hear someone who has had a positive experience. On your tour did they stop along the way for lunch/dinner? Our tour will be during the dinner hours. 

11 minutes ago, Ladybug18 said:

Wow, thank you so much. It sounds like Saga Travel is a great company. I’m glad we booked with them. Sometimes you never know so it’s nice to hear someone who has had a positive experience. On your tour did they stop along the way for lunch/dinner? Our tour will be during the dinner hours. 

Our cruise was different -- we had 2 days in Reijkavik and 2 in Akureyri and much more hours.

I remember stops for a brief lunch/dinner and of course, bathrooms.

We had a healthy b'fast in the room (Concierge) before setting out, or a nice lunch.....

As I said, they're very responsive, you can "shoot" them this question too😁

9 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Our cruise was different -- we had 2 days in Reijkavik and 2 in Akureyri and much more hours.

I remember stops for a brief lunch/dinner and of course, bathrooms.

We had a healthy b'fast in the room (Concierge) before setting out, or a nice lunch.....

As I said, they're very responsive, you can "shoot" them this question too😁

Thank you, I’ve been working with Tinna at Saga. She has been good about answering my questions before I booked the tour yesterday. I sent her an email yesterday after booking with some other questions that came to mind and I am waiting for her response. One of questions was about stopping for a bite to eat. We will be traveling with our son who will be 8 years old so I’m sure he will definitely need a food break 😁 

wow, 2 days in both Iceland ports!! What cruise did you do to get that great amount of time in each port?

9 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

Thank you, I’ve been working with Tinna at Saga. 😁 

wow, 2 days in both Iceland ports!! What cruise did you do to get that great amount of time in each port?

I've also "worked" with Tinna last year, and even met her at the pier, when she was supervising everything. Very hands on and professional, and... beautiful😁

We were on Reflection June 2019, starting and ending in Dublin.

Upon my recommendation, I have 2 couples of friends taking almost the same cruise (only 1 day in Akureiry and less hours...), one June 5, 2020, and the other July 6, 2020.

So I was again "working" with Tinna for them, and booked them with SAGA tours.

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I've also "worked" with Tinna last year, and even met her at the pier, when she was supervising everything. Very hands on and professional, and... beautiful😁

We were on Reflection June 2019, starting and ending in Dublin.

Upon my recommendation, I have 2 couples of friends taking almost the same cruise (only 1 day in Akureiry and less hours...), one June 5, 2020, and the other July 6, 2020.

So I was again "working" with Tinna for them, and booked them with SAGA tours.

I agree, Tinna, has been great to work with and very professional. 

Are your friends on the Reflection or the NCL Star? We are on the NCL Star departing Southampton on June 28th. We will also be in Akureyri on July 5, 2020 and Reykjavik on July 6, 2020. 

30 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

My friends (all of them...) are on Reflection...

NCL is less popular here... I think is related to crowd management and the sink (?) being in the room....

Nice! We travel with our 8 year old son and have not done Celebrity yet, but hope to someday.

NCL is doing the Norwegian Fjords and Iceland so that was a seller for me as I wanted to see both.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ladybug18 said:

Did you stop in Belfast on your cruise? If so did you do a private tour and who did you use? We are looking to do a small group tour in Belfast possibly out to the Giants Causeway. 

Yes, we did.

Our roll call was very active, and someone advertised a small tour of the Giants Causeway with a reputable company, which she used before. By the time I saw her post (due to time differences between Israel and US), she had already "recruited" 2 other couples and her tour was full. She was kind enough to provide me the details of the owner, Alister, and the price quoted was 400 pounds per car (now it is 450 pounds, I've already recommended them to my friends...).

Alister told me to try and gather 2 other couples, so that we could split the costs. I posted on the roll call, and was lucky to find 2 couples from US, who joined us for the small tour. It was very good, mainly because everyone was willing to see what the others wanted -- one was willing the add the whiskey distillery (we were not interested...), and we wanted very much to see the murals in Belfast, which initially were not in the program. In the end, we saw all !!!

Alister's email is: booking at cityandcauseway dot com, you can mention that Dani[ela] from Israel highly recommended him and his company

https://www.cityandcauseway.com/

And... the Giants Causeway was breathtaking !!!!

25 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Yes, we did.

Our roll call was very active, and someone advertised a small tour of the Giants Causeway with a reputable company, which she used before. By the time I saw her post (due to time differences between Israel and US), she had already "recruited" 2 other couples and her tour was full. She was kind enough to provide me the details of the owner, Alister, and the price quoted was 400 pounds per car (now it is 450 pounds, I've already recommended them to my friends...).

Alister told me to try and gather 2 other couples, so that we could split the costs. I posted on the roll call, and was lucky to find 2 couples from US, who joined us for the small tour. It was very good, mainly because everyone was willing to see what the others wanted -- one was willing the add the whiskey distillery (we were not interested...), and we wanted very much to see the murals in Belfast, which initially were not in the program. In the end, we saw all !!!

Alister's email is: booking at cityandcauseway dot com, you can mention that Dani[ela] from Israel highly recommended him and his company

https://www.cityandcauseway.com/

And... the Giants Causeway was breathtaking !!!!

Thank you so much. I actually emailed Alister yesterday and he was very quick to respond. His tour sounds amazing. He gave me a price of 450 pounds for my husband, son and I. I wonder if I could get another family or two to join us and  divide the cost. Maybe I could ask on our roll call? 

What are some of the things you saw on your tour with Alister’s company? 

1 minute ago, Ladybug18 said:

Maybe I could ask on our roll call? Definitely do that.

What are some of the things you saw on your tour with Alister’s company? 

The Giant Causeway, the Bushmill distillery (with a nice lunch there), stops along the way for amazing views, sadly it was raining most of the time, so we had to gave up the rope bridge and a castle, but we had more time to visit the Murals, and may be understand (or not) why the two religious groups keep fighting one another.

A lot like in my country....

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Sounds like it was an amazing tour!! I will email Alister today and ask some more questions I have. My husband would love to see the Bushmills distillery, I’d like to see the murals so it would be nice to do both. Alister said it’s not worth the time to do the rope bridge which I’m okay with. I also saw that it’s closed indefinitely because something happened on land and theY are unsure if structure of the bridge is Safe.