Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
yvr49

Southampton to Gatwick - how much time do we need?

Recommended Posts

Our flight is at 2:45 p.m.  is that sufficient time to disembark, take a cab to train station and train to Gatwick, allowing plenty of time for check in, clearing security etc.?  Our other option would be to stay overnight near Gatwick and get an earlier flight the next morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

 

I recently went to the other side of London to Stansted and still had enough time.

 

Just get off the ship in the first group, be on the train by 09:00 (direct) and you should have plenty of time.

 

One more thing the earlier you book your train tickets the cheaper they will be. I got my Southampton to Stansted for only £10. A very good price 😊

Edited by kerryincork
Wanted to add extra details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, yvr49 said:

Our flight is at 2:45 p.m.  is that sufficient time to disembark, take a cab to train station and train to Gatwick, allowing plenty of time for check in, clearing security etc.?  Our other option would be to stay overnight near Gatwick and get an earlier flight the next morning. 

 

You'll be fine, assuming it's not Sunday (which doesn't have direct rail to gatwick).  Looking at a random day a couple of months out:

image.png.fadc2d48bfee238740c7e2e03f112e97.png

 

I'd probably aim to take the 9:09 (the direct to Gatwick only runs once/hr), and you really do want that train.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, yvr49 said:

Our flight is at 2:45 p.m.  is that sufficient time to disembark, take a cab to train station and train to Gatwick, allowing plenty of time for check in, clearing security etc.?  Our other option would be to stay overnight near Gatwick and get an earlier flight the next morning. 

 

Also, depending on which dock you're going into (which is cruise line dependent), Southampton Central could be as little as a 10 minute walk from the port. We've always walked when getting off a Royal Caribbean ship

 

image.png.b7a519b6a3d2d7e2ac8483d90d409fdd.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the helpful info.  Only 8.50 fare, wow!  We're on Princess disembarking September 7.  How far in advance can I buy tix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yvr49 said:

Thanks for the helpful info.  Only 8.50 fare, wow!  We're on Princess disembarking September 7.  How far in advance can I buy tix?

  

Note that the link says "advance".

The walk-up price is around £38. :classic_sad:

Those cheap tix  (shown as £8.50, might be a little more or a little less come September)  are available from about 10 weeks out.

Note also that it says "ticket valid for this service only". In other words, if you miss the train time that you booked your ticket is trash & you'll have to pay the full walk-up price for the next train. 

 

Current timetable shows you have a choice of trains at 08.09am (arrives LGW 10.08) or 09.13 (arrives 11.08) or 10.13 (arrives 12,08).

The 08.09 is possible but a little risky, and certainly would need unassisted early disembarkation (usually around 7am).

And unless delayed the 10.13 would do the job.

But the 09.13 is probably the best compromise.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

 

The station (Southampton Central) is a 25 minute walk from either of the Princess terminals, with lugage best to take a taxi at around £8

 

JB :classic_smile:

 

Edited by John Bull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks JB.  Agreed, the 9:13-ish would be optimal.  Are there only 2 price points:  cheapest and walk-up?  If that is so, 3 "cheapest" tickets would still be cheaper than one walk-up and might be a better way to go.  Hedging our bets 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yvr49 said:

Thanks JB.  Agreed, the 9:13-ish would be optimal.  Are there only 2 price points:  cheapest and walk-up?  If that is so, 3 "cheapest" tickets would still be cheaper than one walk-up and might be a better way to go.  Hedging our bets 😊

 

Ignoring up-grades to first-class, there are three price-points.....

Anytime. Means what it says, but often comes at a price.

Off-peak. Not available during peak times (usually commuter time) on routes which are heavily used by commuters. On many routes (including this one :classic_smile:) there's no "anytime" price-loading -  "anytime" and "off-peak" are the same price 

Advance. The cheapie, bought in advance & limited to the train time chosen. Not offered on all routes. Limited number of "advance" tickets, sometimes they book-out. 

 

Against each of the train times click on "other tickets" or "other services you can travel on" and you'll see  that all three trains are available on "anytime" tickets.

So if you wanted to cover all three bases you'd pay £17.70.

 

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, yvr49 said:

Thanks for the helpful info.  Only 8.50 fare, wow!  We're on Princess disembarking September 7.  How far in advance can I buy tix?

 

Ticket sales open at 12 weeks, but often the discounted tickets aren't available until 10 weeks out.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This page on the National Rail website shows you how far out Advance tickets are currently being sold by each Train Operating Company.  You want the SouthWestern London-Weymouth section. It’s currently out at almost 12 weeks for weekdays, shorter for weekends (when there is less certainty about timetable alterations because of various disruptions). 
 

 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

This page on the National Rail website shows you how far out Advance tickets are currently being sold by each Train Operating Company.  You want the SouthWestern London-Weymouth section. It’s currently out at almost 12 weeks for weekdays, shorter for weekends (when there is less certainty about timetable alterations because of various disruptions).

 

Actually not.   Southampton -> Gatwick is operated by SOUTHERN, not South Western

 

The sweet spot in my experience is 8-10 weeks out; right at 12 weeks there's often no discount tickets.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scottbee said:

 

Actually not.   Southampton -> Gatwick is operated by SOUTHERN, not South Western

 

The sweet spot in my experience is 8-10 weeks out; right at 12 weeks there's often no discount tickets.

 

 


Yes, thank you, I had a brain freeze and had Waterloo-Southampton in mind. Apologies. 
 

Southern are offering Advance fares at 12 weeks currently, but advise checking the timetable at 6 weeks in case there have been significant changes or cancellations,  in which case unusually Advance tickets would be refundable (see https://www.southernrailway.com/tickets/ticket-types-explained/advance - although my understanding is some of that info is out of date, it can’t hurt to check!)

 

These timings are given in weeks and Advance fares may be loaded weekly, so for example weekday Advance fares are available on this route today until Friday 3 April - that’s 11 weeks and 2 days, but will be indicative of a ‘12 week’ load. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious how far the National Express Bus Station is from the port where Norwegian Cruises dock. Walking distance?

Edited by schmoopie17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Just curious how far the National Express Bus Station is from the port where Norwegian Cruises dock. Walking distance?

 

I just found the answer online...which I should have originally done 😀

Looks like we'll need a cab...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

 

I just found the answer online...which I should have originally done 😀

Looks like we'll need a cab...

 

 

Not necessarily - depends on the weather,  your attitude to hauling bags, and whether you want to fork out £6 or £7 for a taxi.

 

https://goo.gl/maps/FZJ7fXUUFBmdMshs9

All on level ground, a fifteen minute walk if you cut thro Holiday Inn's parking lot

 

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, John Bull said:

 

Not necessarily - depends on the weather,  your attitude to hauling bags, and whether you want to fork out £6 or £7 for a taxi.

 

https://goo.gl/maps/FZJ7fXUUFBmdMshs9

All on level ground, a fifteen minute walk if you cut thro Holiday Inn's parking lot

 

JB :classic_smile:

 Silly me.

(I just did a Cotswold Eagle :classic_tongue:)

That was to the coach station.

 

Central train station is same distance / time, but you use Dock Gate 10 - turn left, not right, outside the cruise terminal.

https://goo.gl/maps/Rea8VVYx7JSpojRi6

 

JB :classic_blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...