Adverse weather causing problems

VMax1700

A few problems on Koningsdam yesterday and today - mostly weather related.

Yesterday one of the island based tenders on HMC ran into "technical problems".  Thete was also another difficulty which led to a late departure from HMC.

Currently we are heading towards Grand Turk in heavy seas and 35 kph winds. It was a bit rough and bumpy last night!

Our arrival into Grand Turk is delayed by 1 hour though depature time has also been put back.  Carnival Elation was due to dock in GT today also, but has cancelled the port!

Last week on NA we had a very bumpy ride. We had buckets of rain in Grand Turk, heavy winds getting to and out of San Juan, and the last sea day and HMC day were a roller coaster. We had 6 ft swells when we got to HMC, so no tendering. I think the Caribbean this winter has gone wacky.

Our weather here at home in Tennessee has been unseasonably warm and windy/rainy, though it seems to have settled into more of the usual winter dreary 40's - 50's and damp atm though I think it is going to get into the 70's this week.  😮

Edited by fatcat04

1 minute ago, VennDiagram said:

@VMax1700I saw your duplicate thread, so asked the mods to remove it.  Just an FYI.  (Don't blame your "fat fingers", definitely blame the sea conditions 😉 )

Thanks! I had also reported myself to them and threw myself at their mercy! 😁😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

You are better off there than here, I envy you a few waves!  We have -4 Celsius, wind and snow.  Have you checked on Ireland?

There were storms over the weekend in Ireland but all looks good at home. Cams are still operating!

Youngest son told us that snowing in Vancouver over weekend! 🙄

55 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

There were storms over the weekend in Ireland but all looks good at home. Cams are still operating!

Youngest son told us that snowing in Vancouver over weekend! 🙄

Very unusual weather here in Vancouver with snow (and icy roads) and more snow expected.

Enjoy Grand Turk!   

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Grand Turk is a tricky port to get in to.

The difficulty of "getting into" Cockburn, Grand Turk has to do with the anchorage (for a third ship). It, the anchorage, is exposed to swells curving around the island from the north and the south and from the trade wind which blows over the island. 

The Carnival-built pier can hold two large cruise ships. Since the pier has been in use, ships only cancel on average 1 out of 10 times as, at times, the wind is too strong to attempt a docking. If the area around the pier was deeper, those odds would even be better however, the dredged area is just wide enough for a cruise ship to slide in and out but not to "blow away" in case the ship loses the battle against the elements

• Like 1