Port of Miami parking suggestions

OburgOrange

1 hour ago, OburgOrange said:

Is it best to park at the port or are there other alternatives? Any suggestions?

Welcome to the boards! 😎

All of the locals on this board will suggest parking at POM.  Parking at POM is covered, convenient and secure - parking anywhere else will likely not be covered, will not be as convenient, and for sure will not be as secure.  

But parking at POM costs $22/day.  If you search this board you will find many threads about parking in Miami - some will say it worked out and they saved money.  Others will have horror stories about no show shuttles, lost reservation deposits, vandalized cars, etc.  There are some hotels out near the MIA airport that offer cruise parking deals with a stay - La Quinta East, Embassy Suites MIA and Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon are often suggested.  None includes a ride back to your car after the cruise, so plan on a $30+ taxi or about $20 in an Uber

It's your car - do you feel lucky? 

Just had this same dilemma myself. I decided it was worth the (significant) premium to park at the port. I don't want to start my vacation hanging around for a shuttle bus, and I don't want to end it wondering if my car's still there/ok. Off-port parking would probably be ok, but I want my vacation to be about relaxation, not risk-management. YMMV.

This way I just drop my bags at the collection point, then park the car, and saunter down to check-in. It's a big upgrade to day 1 of the cruise, and the extra cost hurts less when considered in the context of the cruise as a whole. And on debarkation day, we can leave with our bags, head straight to the car, and be on our way.

19 hours ago, douglanglois said:

Just had this same dilemma myself. I decided it was worth the (significant) premium to park at the port. I don't want to start my vacation hanging around for a shuttle bus, and I don't want to end it wondering if my car's still there/ok. Off-port parking would probably be ok, but I want my vacation to be about relaxation, not risk-management. YMMV.

Exactly why we decided on Brightline.   Plus, it just sounded kinda fun!

8 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Exactly why we decided on Brightline.   Plus, it just sounded kinda fun!

Looks like an interesting option, but for 2 people, that's still $90 ($154 to park on port). For that $64 savings, I'd now be transferring from my car to a train, to a Lyft (which it seems I still have to order myself?). It's also introducing a third party to getting my baggage on to the ship. I've been involved in enough project management to know that every link you add to the chain adds risk and delay. Not to mention that if this was our family vacation, not our mom and dad only vacation, it would cost $180 while parking would be flat at $154.

Shortest critical path to my vacation = drive to port, check bags, park, get on ship.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, douglanglois said:

Looks like an interesting option, but for 2 people, that's still $90 ($154 to park on port). For that $64 savings, I'd now be transferring from my car to a train, to a Lyft (which it seems I still have to order myself?). It's also introducing a third party to getting my baggage on to the ship. I've been involved in enough project management to know that every link you add to the chain adds risk and delay. Not to mention that if this was our family vacation, not our mom and dad only vacation, it would cost $180 while parking would be flat at $154.

Shortest critical path to my vacation = drive to port, check bags, park, get on ship.

Agreed.  Which is why we park at the port.  Brightline makes sense if you are up in Palm Beach, maybe.  Or if you don't have a car, definitely.  But even in Fort Lauderdale, we would rather just drive straight to the port, which saves a ton of time and potential headaches.

Edited by BNBR

On 1/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, jkgourmet said:

I believe that POM adds one day when you park there.  So a 7 day cruise becomes $176.

This thread has a lot of information (and fans) of Brightline.   

Miami doesn't add an additional day.

I believe Port Canaveral does.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 11:49 AM, mafig said:

Miami doesn't add an additional day.

I believe Port Canaveral does.

Can confirm that Miami doesn't (unless you leave after your arrival time, presumably, at which point it's only fair since you used more than 7 days...) 

I arrived at 10:30am on Sunday 19th, left at 9:50 am on Sunday 26th, paid for 7 days ($154)

When you arrive at the Port Of Miami the overhead electronic signs will tell you which terminal your ship is berthed at. When you pull up to the terminal, stop at the porter area to turn over your luggage and advise someone there that you require wheelchair assistance. Once they accommodate your wife have her wait for you in the terminal while you drive over to the parking garage and secure your vehicle. Once that’s completed walk back to the terminal and meet up with your wife and check in for your voyage.