Clothing for Alaska

Mrsdigi

Hi All-We have outerwear all set for our Alaska Cruise this June on Ovation.  However, I was wondering what everyone wears on the ship?  Jeans, Shorts, leggings, etc?  is the dinner dress code a bit more relaxed due to the long port day?  Thanks.

When we did our Alaska cruise in August 2018, people seemed to wear whatever was comfortable on board. On sea days, I wore yoga pants or leggings, a tshirt and a fleece zip up cardigan during the day. My husband wore jeans with a t-shirt/track jacket/fleece and so did our kids. We changed for dinner, but overall thought that people were not "as" dressed up for dinner as I have seen in the past in the Caribbean.

Wear layers - you never can tell what the weather will be like.  Always be prepared for rain - a lightweight waterproof hooded jacket works best - do not take a heavy jacket for June.  Just wear a sweater underneath it if it turns chilly.  Take a pair of gloves.

You will see many people on formal nights wearing casual clothes.

LAYERS! Bring gloves if you plan to spend time near glaciers. It was so cold in June we could see our breath. I also made a fleece head band to go over our ears. Used it a lot. And a windbreaker. Wool socks. Rain gear. Not saying you will need all of it but we did in some ports. 

We spent a lot of time on deck and it was windy. My layers consisted of shirt sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, windbreaker, then fleece jacket. 

We were on HAL on a 14 nighter. Some ports were very warm so we were glad to have the layers. Just peeled and shoved them in the backpack. 

We didn't eat in the MDR SO I can't address that. We ate in the buffet each night and watched for whales. 

Layers are your friend. I went in June and most days I was in leggings or jeans, was too cold for shorts. There was one day at sea that was really warm (60 with a ton of sun) so everyone was outside in bathing suits but that was for a few hours and then back to chill. People dressed decent for dinner but definitely would say on the whole the Alaska cruise is more of a relaxed, rugged vibe rather than a Caribbean party vibe. 

Loved the Solarium Bistro for dinner and numerous times we would see animals passing by. Even the waiters would get excited for it.

Since you are talking about inside the ship, not the weather clothes for outside.  I will chime in here.  All of our Alaska cruises have been very informal.  With the extra weight of the colder weather clothes in suitcases, pax tend to pack a bit lighter, leaving behind the not really needed formal dress clothes.  

I saw almost everyone in jeans, fleece tops, sweatshirts, flannel shirts, long sleeve t-shirts...at dinner as well.  

I love my fleece tops, and can easily hand wash them in the sink or tub...then drip dry.  

Enjoy your cruise!  🙂