Shorts in the MDR for dinner

On 1/15/2020 at 11:16 PM, island visitor said:

I know this question has been discussed before a number of times and I apologize for bringing it up again, but here goes.  Cruising on the Oasis this month and we haven't cruised on RCI for a few years so was wondering if very many men wear nice shorts in the MDR for dinner?

Being from the cold North East of the UK I never wear shorts for dinner at home or on a ship.

When we go to Orlando I wear shorts every night.

Plenty of people wear shorts in the MDR on RC and even though I don't if the restaurant manager allows this it must be okay.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

What is wrong with raising the bar a little when you are on vacation?  I really don't want to look at anyone's hairy legs during dinner.  Is it so bad to put on a pair of pants?  Yes, those pictures of the model wearing shorts and a jacket are quite nice.  But we all know that the people we are talking about do not look like those models.  The Windjammer is the place for shorts imho.  Those in shorts in the MDR are  exercising their right to "relax" on a cruise vacation. 

For me, I enjoy being nicely dressed for dinner (no shorts) because I AM on vacation (which is only a few days each year).  A vacation is a special time for us- and not about what I wear day to day for work (business casual).  Even when my sons vacationed with us when they were younger, they were dressed for dinner.   

In short- to each his own.  But don't expect everyone else to like what you like.

And for the record, I'm in my 60s, work full time and do not live in Florida.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jewelim333 said:

I really don't want to look at anyone's hairy legs during dinner. 

Why are you looking underneath everyone's tablecloth.

Is it so bad to put on a pair of pants?

Yes

A vacation is a special time for us

As it is for every other passenger.  They are not there for your satisfaction. 

In short- to each his own.

Exactly.  Don't let hairy legs bother you.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I hope we have we haven't devolved into a culture that determines right and wrong by what rules are enforced most strictly.  

No, we have "evolved" into a culture that determines class and respect by what clothes are worn during dinner on vacation.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jewelim333 said:

What is wrong with raising the bar a little when you are on vacation?  I really don't want to look at anyone's hairy legs during dinner.  Is it so bad to put on a pair of pants?  Yes, those pictures of the model wearing shorts and a jacket are quite nice.  But we all know that the people we are talking about do not look like those models.  The Windjammer is the place for shorts imho.  Those in shorts in the MDR are  exercising their right to "relax" on a cruise vacation. 

For me, I enjoy being nicely dressed for dinner (no shorts) because I AM on vacation (which is only a few days each year).  A vacation is a special time for us- and not about what I wear day to day for work (business casual).  Even when my sons vacationed with us when they were younger, they were dressed for dinner.   

In short- to each his own.  But don't expect everyone else to like what you like.

What people are we talking about?????  Are you trying to stereotype ???  
have you looked at some ladies legs ????   Or their arm pits.  Who wants to see that.  
You didn’t have to tell me you were in your sixties.   I could tell by your post.   
just like every other person that doesn’t like short for dinner.   I’d bet everyone of them are over 60.  

like I’ve said from the start.    It’s a different world.   People can look very neat and professional in a pair of shorts.   
Look at some of our  Fortune 500 CEOs don’t even wear a suit anymore.
Business casual  and still can run Dillion dollar companies.  
times are changing.  Either you are a follower or an individual person sets trends.  

this post has run its course. Everyone enjoy their cruises 

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, island visitor said:

My retired UPS hubby and I are an exception to this statement.  We are 62 and 64 year old "shorts wearing people" 😜

Sorry.   All retired UPS drivers excluded.     Lolol.  Like myself.   Lolol.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jewelim333 said:

How are you able to see people’s hairy legs during dinner? It’s rude to peek under the tablecloth. 

I just can’t get over the amount of people that are so worried about what strangers are doing. Life is too short. Let it go. You do what you want and let others do the same. 

What a colossal waste of energy. 

Edited by BeachChik
  • Like 5

While I sail mostly Royal Caribbean, and do longer cruises to places other then the Caribbean, for the most part people still  come to dinner in pants for men and dresses or slacks for ladies. However on our last cruise with Princess last March, they actually turned people away if they came wearing shorts for dinner.

First of all, let me clarify that I am old, past the half century mark. In my world, I was always taught that jeans were the height of casualness.  The neatly pressed, nice fabric shorts with button down shirt outfits pictured above would be far more acceptable than a pair of jeans and a shirt.  I would never wear a pair of jeans to dinner but would wear a nice pair of shorts or capris.  

But to each their own.  I don't pay attention to what the next table has on, I am too focused on enjoying my table mates. Adopting a live and let live attitude decreases a whole amount of stress. You worry about you and I will worry about me.

3 minutes ago, cured said:

First of all, let me clarify that I am old, past the half century mark. In my world, I was always taught that jeans were the height of casualness.  The neatly pressed, nice fabric shorts with button down shirt outfits pictured above would be far more acceptable than a pair of jeans and a shirt.  I would never wear a pair of jeans to dinner but would wear a nice pair of shorts or capris.  

But to each their own.  I don't pay attention to what the next table has on, I am too focused on enjoying my table mates. Adopting a live and let live attitude decreases a whole amount of stress. You worry about you and I will worry about me.

Agree and well said youngster. 😜

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cured said:

Please post a lovely picture of you in a nice pair of shorts we would love to see .

4 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Please post a lovely picture of you in a nice pair of shorts we would love to see .

Sorry to disappoint, but I have nothing to prove to you, so no picture of me.

But if you are interested in the style I prefer, here is a picture of my latest for casual nights.

NMB5GPT_mz.jpg

NMB5HUU_01_b.jpeg

Edited by cured

14 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

have you looked at some ladies legs ????   Or their arm pits.  Who wants to see that.  
You didn’t have to tell me you were in your sixties.   I could tell by your post.   
just like every other person that doesn’t like short for dinner.   I’d bet everyone of them are over 60.  

like I’ve said from the start.    It’s a different world.   People can look very neat and professional in a pair of shorts.   
times are changing.  Either you are a follower or an individual person sets trends.  

You are inferring from your post that the Op is stereotyping those that are arguing for no shorts in the MDR.  However, you are in itself stereotyping with regards to those Pax in the 60s+  I'm in thee 60s and I'm pro shorts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jewelim333 said:

Well everyone else is on vacation also.. and it may be their only vacation.. and it's also special to them.. so if they want to wear shorts.. they will wear shorts.. they have every right, and shouldn't be judged upon it.. ... they paid to be on the cruise as you did... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Aged 63 in the CL on Explorer.

IMG_20191005_143345.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/16/2020 at 7:51 AM, davekathy said:

I don't care why they don't. Not my problem or concern. If these issues bother you, do you speak with someone about them at that time? Was that you staring at use when we were leaving the DL carrying a glass of wine each as the DLC was holding the door open for us. 🙄

Did I say I cared? Just pointing out that the staff is not going to confront anyone. 

This is a funny post.

We literally have people who are up in arms because someone on their vacation is not doing what they want them to do. Personally I do not appreciate the recent trend of thong bathing suits, I personally do not want my daughter to see that, but guess what, I deal with it.why? because in the end, their choice in not hurting me.  I can look the other way and choose not to make it part of my vacation. It is their prerogative and within the rules to wear what they will.

Instead of this horse-beaten discussion, why don't we all agree that vacations are fun, that shorts are part of a cruise life, and that MAYBE someone has different feelings/ means than you that would equate to making such a decision.

Edited by Drock20J
Update to text
  • Like 1