Drinks galor...or not?

AmyNcutt

On 1/19/2020 at 8:44 PM, AmyNcutt said:

Hi all

We have a cruise booked for late February. We made the mistake of not ordering the drink package on the night we booked when it was 52$. Now it has gone up to 61$ a day! So now I am trying to figure out if it's worth it, and yes we like our beer. We are Texans! So will that price keep going up, do they have any type of drink sales on the ship? I know i don't want to drink everyday, but dang I feel like I'm being pressured into with this package vs the price on the ship. What's a beer drinking Texan to do???

You will need to total about what you think you will drink including sodas, specialty coffee (Starbucks not included), fresh squeezed oj, etc to find if it's better for you. One thing we have noticed is that if we don't have the package we drink far less than we would with it.

Just now, backtodavis said:

Do they offer the buy one get one half off drink package usually or is it hit or miss? Going on a 4 night cruise 12/20 on Mariner of seas. Want to get the drink package, but at the best price possible. How often should I check for sales? 

As often as possible

• Like 1

Definitely keep checking the prices.  We are sailing on Explorer in two weeks and over the last week the price has changed from $51 a day to $55 and back to $51.  (Have not checked it today).

I am going to just keep my eyes open for the 10 drink card for $79 that’s offered late in the cruise and hope it’s offered on our sailing.  Apparently,it was this last week so we will see.

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

That is the cheapest price I have seen in awhile.  I got our drink package for that same price for our NYE cruise and it never went lower after that.  I am looking at prices for a June cruise we have and have yet to see them go under $61.

One thing to remember when you are calculating if it is "worth" it or not, is that the Deluxe Package covers everything on board (except Starbucks).  So if you drink a soda here and there, specialty coffees, etc. combined with a few beers/drinks throughout the day, it really isn't that hard to get "your money's worth".

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, buzzard05 said:

One thing to remember when you are calculating if it is "worth" it or not, is that the Deluxe Package covers everything on board (except Starbucks).  So if you drink a soda here and there, specialty coffees, etc. combined with a few beers/drinks throughout the day, it really isn't that hard to get "your money's worth".

Exactly. When you take into account specialty coffees, sodas, bottled water, etc., it’s not that hard to drink $50-$60 per day. 

• Like 2

If you're only going to drink beer, and not even every day, do yourself a favor and don't get it. No amount of drinking schedules or soda and water is going to makeup for spending that much money.

Get a few buckets of beer. If you can get a 5 for $30 deal, you will be better off.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

As often as possible

Just watch the buy one get one half price. I tried getting that 1 and it come up the same price as if you buy 2.... Its in the wording its really only 25% of both. So Im waiting for a better deal

1 hour ago, Rach Kev said:

Just watch the buy one get one half price. I tried getting that 1 and it come up the same price as if you buy 2.... Its in the wording its really only 25% of both. So Im waiting for a better deal

The whole 30% off or buy one get one half off really never seems to make a difference in the price.  It was all just a marketing gimmick. I monitored mine for about 4 months. The ultimate price you pay only ever seemed to fluctuate a few dollars up or a few dollars lower. I will say this last week it jumped almost $10-15 a day more than it had been for the last 4 months. I'm on Oasis this Sunday. Total cost for the package with gratuities for 7 nights for two people was $904. I think it was like $54 a day per person plus the 18 percent.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Packlawyer17 said:

The whole 30% off or buy one get one half off really never seems to make a difference in the price.  It was all just a marketing gimmick. I monitored mine for about 4 months. The ultimate price you pay only ever seemed to fluctuate a few dollars up or a few dollars lower. I will say this last week it jumped almost $10-15 a day more than it had been for the last 4 months. I'm on Oasis this Sunday. Total cost for the package with gratuities for 7 nights for two people was $904. I think it was like $54 a day per person plus the 18 percent.

same deal I got for my May 10 trip. I did book it first for 984 and checked again and it was cheaper a few days later. is 904 going to be my best price?

14 hours ago, cgags47 said:

If you want the drink package, then buy it.  And then check the prices all the time.  If it goes down in price, then cancel and re-book it.  

I purchased today at 57$ per person, ugh. Didn't want to pay it but I feel we are better off paying for the package. When you say "cancel" hasn't my card already been charged? How quick are they to refund if a better sale comes up?

2 minutes ago, AmyNcutt said:

I purchased today at 57$ per person, ugh. Didn't want to pay it but I feel we are better off paying for the package. When you say "cancel" hasn't my card already been charged? How quick are they to refund if a better sale comes up?

Yeah, I felt like I was some sort of alcoholic dropping $900 in one click on booze.

8 minutes ago, AmyNcutt said:

It’s actually pretty quick. People do it all the time. 

I'm a wine drinker....will drink a bottle of nice wine with dinner every nite on the cruise.  I buy the drink package because of the discount on bottles that usually is where my break even is....then beers and mixed through the day plus coffees are gravy to me.  I may drink too much 😉