Medallion problem Heads up ordering tip and question

WallyNDiane

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on the ordering of the Medallions. This is our first Princess Cruise so we were newbies on the process. We loaded the Princess App on our phone and went through the process of ordering the app. Unfortunately, we thought that we HAD to order Medallion accessories so we selected the lowest cost insert accessory. However the shipping costs were quite high. After we ordered them, I called Princess to see if they could ship them together to save us on the shipping cost. The agent was helpful and told us that we did not have to order any assessories. While on the phone, she walked us through cancelling the assessories ordered. We thought that we were ok, so did the agent. I asked her if we will still receive our Medallions with free lanyards and she said yes.

I later joined our cruise departure Facebook page. Over the last two weeks, everyone posted that they had received their medallions.We didn't so today I call Princess as we are now less than 2 weeks from our departure. I was told that when the order was cancelled for the assessories, it also cancelled our Medallion order. Because of the late date,  a new order can't be entered.

We were told that we now have to go to the Ocean Ready line at the check in terminal to receive our Medallions. 

Hopefully this post can prevent others from having a similar problem.  

Now my question are. 

1) Will we receive the same Medallions as we would of if they were sent to our home? I thought I read the Medallions will have your names engraved on them.

2) Due to the Super Bowl in Miami, we have late arriving flights into Fort Lauderdale. Should we expect a long wait in the Ocean Ready check in line at the terminal?

I just went through a major health issue and I wanted this cruise to be a stress free vacation. The Super Bowl added all kind of stress in getting flights (hotels and flight cost made early arrival too costly). Now I just find out about this Medallion issue. Hopefully it is no big deal but our late arriving flights have me concerned especially if there any weather delays.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on the ordering of the Medallions. This is our first Princess Cruise so we were newbies on the process. We loaded the Princess App on our phone and went through the process of ordering the app. Unfortunately, we thought that we HAD to order Medallion accessories so we selected the lowest cost insert accessory. However the shipping costs were quite high. After we ordered them, I called Princess to see if they could ship them together to save us on the shipping cost. The agent was helpful and told us that we did not have to order any assessories. While on the phone, she walked us through cancelling the assessories ordered. We thought that we were ok, so did the agent. I asked her if we will still receive our Medallions with free lanyards and she said yes.

I later joined our cruise departure Facebook page. Over the last two weeks, everyone posted that they had received their medallions.We didn't so today I call Princess as we are now less than 2 weeks from our departure. I was told that when the order was cancelled for the assessories, it also cancelled our Medallion order. Because of the late date,  a new order can't be entered.

We were told that we now have to go to the Ocean Ready line at the check in terminal to receive our Medallions. 

Hopefully this post can prevent others from having a similar problem.  

Now my question are. 

1) Will we receive the same Medallions as we would of if they were sent to our home? I thought I read the Medallions will have your names engraved on them.

2) Due to the Super Bowl in Miami, we have late arriving flights into Fort Lauderdale. Should we expect a long wait in the Ocean Ready check in line at the terminal?

I just went through a major health issue and I wanted this cruise to be a stress free vacation. The Super Bowl added all kind of stress in getting flights (hotels and flight cost made early arrival too costly). Now I just find out about this Medallion issue. Hopefully it is no big deal but our late arriving flights have me concerned especially if there any weather delays.

Yes, same Medallion either way. Name, dates, etc all on them, whether shipped to you or picked up at port. Ssme pkastic holder, same lanyard.  Accessories can be bought on the ship.

Check-in lines at the port won't be any longer because of the Super Bowl. No on going to the SB is checking in for a cruise at the same time they're supposed to be at the game (or tailgating) 

And if you're arriving after 12:30 to the port, shouldn't have any lines at all, typical of any cruise. 

Absolutely no one can predict your flight, weather delays, or traffic. 

What time are you supposed to be arriving at FLL?  Remember, you have to be checked in and aboard no later than 60 minutes before departure.

Ifyou're arriving same day as the cruise, it's just the risk you're taking. FLL to Port Everglades is generally a 10/20 minute drive, tops. 

The Super Bowl is being held 20/30 minutes away, and doesn't start till late anyways, traffic from that shouldn't have any affect on your cruise. 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting the Medallions at embarkation are no issue, they will have your names on them.  A couple of cruises ago, my wife need a replacement, they made her on in a matter of minutes at the service desk.

I hear you about the Super Bowl, we lucked out and were able to book a room for points the day before, I almost canceled the cruise.

Which ship are you on, we're on the Regal.

• Thanks 1

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:05. We got our flights through Princess ezeair as it was impossible to get flights otherwise. 

We honeymooned in Fort Lauderdale back in 1978 and I wanted to spend a couple precruise days there. The flights were basically full and if there were seats available, the costs were outrageous. Same on hotels. Darn Super Bowl. Price gouging is absolutely insane.

So after a lot of energy, we booked our flights through Princess as they were our last option. We leave Pittsburgh at 6 am, fly to Philadelphia and ultimately arrive in Fort Lauderdale at 11:05 on Feb 2nd, day of sailing.

So that adds a bit of stress to arriving as we don't have much wiggle room. Then to have the Medallion issue is just something I didn't need.

I wish I would of remembered the Super Bowl is in Miami on February 2nd, the day of our cruise departure. I probably would of selected another option if I knew that. Oh well, I guess in a larger sense, all this is a non issue.

We are on the Caribbean Princess, our first 2 week cruise. This is our 11th cruise.

Thank you to all who responded.

Edited by WallyNDiane