Anyone ever cancel using Carnival Insurance due to stroke?

cmptrwiz

We are booked to cruise with my in laws and my mother in law just suffered a major stroke and can’t walk. They have Carnival insurance and we are due to leave in 46 days from today.  I’m not sure what process to start and the Carnival website isn’t helpful.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, klfrodo said:

Your first call should be to the insurance company. Not Carnival, but the actual insurance company.

Get their guidance and then go from there.

My best to you and your family

I agree! Very first call should be to insurance company! And I wish you mil full recovery. 

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Your first call should be to the insurance company. Not Carnival, but the actual insurance company.

Get their guidance and then go from there.

My best to you and your family

Document every conversation you have and with whom.

Date, time, name of person you spoke with and the question answered or guidance given.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cmptrwiz said:

It’s Carnival insurance so I’m not sure who to call.  My PVP isn’t in right now.  I left a message.

5 minutes ago, cmptrwiz said:

It’s Carnival insurance so I’m not sure who to call.  My PVP isn’t in right now.  I left a message.

Should be clearly stated on your policy.

How to file a claim or 24/7 assistance

I just googled and it said underwritten by Nationwide.

Just saw this 

If you need to file a claim, please visit www.aontravelclaim.com

and this

24/7 CareFreeTM Travel Assistance, Medical Assistance, Emergency Services

Within the U.S. and Canada: 1.877.303.5909
Outside the U.S. and Canada, call collect: 1.516.342.4594

Edited by klfrodo

5 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Should be clearly stated on your policy.

How to file a claim or 24/7 assistance

I just googled and it said underwritten by Nationwide.

Just saw this 

If you need to file a claim, please visit www.aontravelclaim.com

and this

24/7 CareFreeTM Travel Assistance, Medical Assistance, Emergency Services

Within the U.S. and Canada: 1.877.303.5909
Outside the U.S. and Canada, call collect: 1.516.342.4594

Thanks a bunch.  I don’t remember call them receiving anything from Carnival.

1 hour ago, cmptrwiz said:

Thanks a bunch.  I don’t remember call them receiving anything from Carnival.

Of course I don't want personal details, but I would appreciate if you would come back from time to time and let us know how the process worked. I know it would help me understand better and I'm sure your experience would help others.

Again, we hope your MIL has a speedy recovery.

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Of course I don't want personal details, but I would appreciate if you would come back from time to time and let us know how the process worked. I know it would help me understand better and I'm sure your experience would help others.

Again, we hope your MIL has a speedy recovery.

I’ll try my best to let you know how the process works.  Unfortunately the Doctors aren’t very positive about her recovery.  She is 82 years old.  This may be the beginning of the end.

We had to cancel a cruise a little over a year ago when my husband got sick just a few days prior to the cruise.  It was surprisingly easy.  Basically all we had to do was submit a statement from the doctor - the form is on their website.  I was able to do it all online.

https://www.aontravelclaim.com/#/whatYouNeed/ 

I am sorry for your mother in law and hope for the best for her

I have had to use the insurance to cancel for medical reasons.  Mine was not a stroke but a bad post op infection that kept me from cruising.  There was a link in my confirmation to the travel insurance company.  I filled out the claim form on-line.  THe doctor had to fill out a statement that I submitted electronically.  I cancelled the trip with Carnival.  Once the form and documentation was submitted I received the money fairly quickly.  

I needed to submit,  the original booking confirmation,  the cancellation receipt, proof of payment and the Dr Letter.  When I cancelled at Carnival they provided everything but the Dr.'s form.

There is usually a little headache with almost every insurance claim. Somewhere in the cruise paper work was an insurance policy. It should detail how to file a claim. Generally it is started with a phone call to a representative who will open a claim. The patient will have to provide medical evidence and doctor's statements.  The refund may not actually be made until after the cruise date. God bless. 

Ok my PVP returned my call and got my information and gave me an 800 number to call.  Our cruise is 45 days out and carnival refunded every thing (of course taxes and gratuities) except the price of 1/2 of the price of the cabin.  The insurance should pay the rest except for the cost of the insurance.  The insurance company is going to email me some forms to fill out.  I forgot to ask if they will cover the independent airfare we booked and canceled with JetBlue?  I was surprised how easy it was with Carnival.  The only “problem” is we paid for part of the cruise with Carnival gift cards and that is how that part will be refunded.  I’ll continue to keep you updated.  Thanks!

• Like 3

We just went through this last year with my mother.  She had a stroke 3 weeks before our cruise last year.  That cruise was with NCL but that link posted previously was the same one I used for the NCL insurance.  I just needed to provide all the required paperwork and was refunded quite quickly.  This was the 2nd cruise we had to cancel.  We also canceled one about 10 years ago when my Grandmother passed away the night before our Carnival cruise.  Again no issues filling the paperwork and getting our refund.  Praying that your mother-in-law recovers.  My mother is now in an assisted living facility having lost most use of her left side....but very thankful to still be here.

I will tell you i had aon insurance for a Norwegian cruise. 3 days before we were to leave my grown son had a brain bleed. I printed up the form (he was flown to a hospital 1 1/2 hour from our home) i had the form filled out (actually medical records did it for me) i told them i was going home shortly and another family member was staying with my son. Saw the doctor on my way back to the room and he signed it. Once i got home i filed it on line. I had our checks in the mail almost immediately. I can say i was 100% satisfied. Ncl refunded my tax’s, port charges and prepaid tips as soon as i called them. Oh yes, i did call and cancel our cruise. 

Good luck and hope everything works out well. 

By the way i was totally shocked it paid for us cancelling due to a family members emergency illness. I am a cheerleader for having insurance.

• Like 1

People really need to read what they're buying.  

While I hope I never need to use it, that's not going to help me should a situation arise where I really do need it.

On the other hand, I'd pay a lot more for health insurance that guaranteed that I wouldn't ever get sick..

I just wanted to bring you up to speed.  First of all before you cancel the cruise print out any and all paper work you might need including itinerary, invoice, flight information and anything else that might cone in handy.  Once you cancel you won’t have access to any important docs.

I called Carnival first they cancelled and refunded what they could right away.  The part of the cruise I put on my American Express credit showed up on my bill as a credit the next day.  Carnival gave me a number at the insurance company that I called next.  They took the information and the next day emailed me the forms that needed to be filled out.  The hardest part for us was getting the doctor the fill out the one page doctors form.  It took her two days to return it to us.

Luckily I had printed out all the Carnival information and flight itinerary.  Then I called JetBlue to cancel the airfare.

Today I filled out all the forms.  I think there were five with one of them being a checklist.  I the converted all the forms and itineraries to a PDF format and then went on line and uploaded them all to the insurance company.

Now we are waiting patiently for the check!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 11:37 AM, cmptrwiz said:

We are booked to cruise with my in laws and my mother in law just suffered a major stroke and can’t walk. They have Carnival insurance and we are due to leave in 46 days from today.  I’m not sure what process to start and the Carnival website isn’t helpful.  Thanks.

Not from stroke but from hospitalization 3 days before the cruise. Four of us were unable to cruise and we got every single dollar back over the next 3 weeks. Was very easy to complete the process with no hassle.

Just now, cmptrwiz said:

I received the Carnival Gift card refund via FedEx this morning only 6 days after canceling the cruise.  PVP said it might take up to a month.

Wow. That was pretty quick! I'm glad they did it that quickly. I pray all is well with you and yours. 

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Wow. That was pretty quick! I'm glad they did it that quickly. I pray all is well with you and yours. 

Thanks!  My MIL is now in rehab, but her condition is not improving and maybe getting a little worse.