Cloud Feb 8th Antartica

yahooelvis

Hi!!

I didn't see a roll call for the Cloud departing in two weeks on the 8th.  Anyone else on these boards taking this cruise as well?

For those who have made the trip recently:

1)  what items did you pack you were really happy you did, wish you had left home, and those items you wish you had taken with you?

2)  How many thermals are a good number? Socks?

3) Did you pack your own jackets or just go with the parka provided? Parka provided--did you go up one size or keep to your normal size?

4) I read in the paperwork sent to us--dinner was men in jackets and ties? Is this correct?

Thank you!!

We are Jenn and Craig traveling from Rhode Island. First on Silver Sea and first to Antartica. Finally 7 for 7.

Caveat: we have free laundry so we don't pack as much. There is also a launderette on board if you want to do your own laundry (free, but reportedly crowded).

3 hours ago, yahooelvis said:

1)  what items did you pack you were really happy you did, wish you had left home, and those items you wish you had taken with you?

Lots of layers are essential. You definitely need waterproof pants. Don't even think of skipping that item. Otherwise, a few pants, a few T-shirts, turtlenecks, a few sweaters or sweatshirts, a fleece, and you should be good to go.

Two pairs are fine; wash them if they get too sweaty. Socks - two or three pairs of thick outer socks, more pairs of thin inner socks.

3) Did you pack your own jackets or just go with the parka provided? Parka provided--did you go up one size or keep to your normal size?

Please use the included parka. Please. The major reason, which I hadn't thought about but was reminded of on this voyage, is biosecurity. Your own personal coat has been all over and is carrying stuff that you can't really remove. Foreign seeds and other material doesn't need to be brought to Antarctica. The included parka is new. Please use it - so much easier than trying to clean your own old jacket.

I found it true to size, even with lots of layers. Well, maybe it was tighter after the 15th day of cruising, but cold salty air does shrink clothing... 😉 If the size you request doesn't fit, you can exchange it on the first or second day (DO NOT REMOVE THE TAGS).

4) I read in the paperwork sent to us--dinner was men in jackets and ties? Is this correct?

Only if you want it to be. I bring a jacket because it's a cool climate, and a tie or two because they take zero additional space, but don't bring one on my account. You will be fine with one, or without one. It's an expedition cruise. It's not a classic cruise. The vibe and the dress code are different.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dj_luvs_cruising said:

We'll be on this cruise as well. Donna and Marty from Florida so this level of cold is a new experience. It's our 7 of 7 also.

Well, at least you're getting some good practice in Florida last night and today as the temps were similar to Antarctica. 😁

• Like 2

Maybe of interest?........I posted this after our Antarctic cruise. On the subject of walking poles, quite a few people responded to say that they would definitely take them. I think it may depend on how far into the season you are. When we went it was the first cruise of the season and the landing sites were pristine with some quite thick snow in places so poles just sank into them. I believe that later on they would be more well-trodden and then poles would be of more benefit.

• Like 1

On the subject of formal clothing....we didn't take any!! We had 2 weeks in Chile and Argentina before the cruise so we had enough to think about with clothing for all temperatures. My husband did wear smart trousers rather than jeans to dinner though there were plenty of people in jeans. On the very slightly more formal nights (elegant casual or something?) there were a few people who dressed up more and I think we actually went to Hot Rocks on one or maybe both of those nights, but we'd have been OK with my husband in his trousers and shirt. I had a couple of dresses with me anyway as they were easy to pack and I used them on the other part of our holiday.

We found the laundry to be invaluable and used it right at the beginning for our underwear and t-shirts that we'd used on the first part of the holiday and then used again as layers on this part. We then used it halfway through this cruise to freshen up our warm layers. Excellent!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 1:20 PM, yahooelvis said:

Hi!!

I didn't see a roll call for the Cloud departing in two weeks on the 8th.  Anyone else on these boards taking this cruise as well?

For those who have made the trip recently:

Thank you!!

We are Jenn and Craig traveling from Rhode Island. First on Silver Sea and first to Antartica. Finally 7 for 7.

You can start a roll call yourself, but don’t expect much activity. Still worth a try. 

• Like 1