Shops on board Majestic Princess

On our cruise documents it mentions that the duty free shops will not be able to sell duty free because we are doing an Australian Coastal Cruise, however toiletries and alcohol for consumption on board can be purchased.

Does anyone know if you want to buy gifts or jewellery for yourself can you do that?

No, you will not be able to unless the gift is small in value e.g. fridge magnet or similar low value item. Low value jewellery e.g. ~$20 may or may not be allowed, but high value will not.

Regarding Lissie's comment, I wish that were true, but they instead have blanket banned sales instead of just adding GST.

We just did a 3 night cruise over Xmas/NY, all shops were open, selling everything except alcohol.

I bought a piece of jewellery, marked down 50%, I paid $50.

I was looking at the perfumes and asked if we could purchase and was told yes. Prices were the same I was told.

This was Pacific Explorer. They were selling watches, cameras etc

johnkylie, I think you are on the Majestic in February with us, I will be interested to see what the shops are selling for those of us not travelling to Singapore. 

4 hours ago, johnkylie said:

On our cruise documents it mentions that the duty free shops will not be able to sell duty free because we are doing an Australian Coastal Cruise, however toiletries and alcohol for consumption on board can be purchased.

Does anyone know if you want to buy gifts or jewellery for yourself can you do that?

I would be very surprised if alcohol at any price from the duty free shop could be purchased for consumption on board.

johnkylie, is this what you read on your cruise personaliser?

DUTY-FREE SHOPPING INFORMATION

In accordance with regulation from the Australian Customs and Border Protections Service, guests joining an international cruise ship only to travel between Australian ports are not entitled to duty-free benefits or concessions.
As such, you will be unable to purchase duty-free bottles of liquor or tobacco during your cruise. Personal items such as toiletries for use onboard, spirits by the glass and cigarettes and tobacco products by the packet may be purchased free of duty for immediate consumption.
Please visit https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/duty-free for more information.

I believe you will be able to buy from the gift shops, just not purchase duty free alcohol/tobacco to take home.

We were on Majestic last December to Hobart, Port Arthur and Melbourne. 

All the shops were open. You couldn't buy alcohol or cigarettes. 

Plus there were the usual watch sales and a sale of reduced goods that took up part of the dining room. 

Some of the prices for perfumes etc were more expensive than onshore. 

Meant to say duty free alcohol and cigarettes to take off the ship -  the cruiselines would go out of business if there wasn’t any alcohol sales. 

Domestic cruising, I have been various cruiselines with many different approaches to the previous mentioned rule.

Edited by megsie

21 hours ago, johnkylie said:

You cannot buy alcohol duty free. We were on Golden Princess and did Australian Coastal cruise and this was not able to get alcohol duty fee. It was locked away. Cigs yes but only from the bars. 

We are on the cruise leaving Sydney on 12/02/20, stopping at Hobart and Melbourne before we get off in Adelaide.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

We will just have to see whats open and what is available for purchase.  cheers Kylie

4 hours ago, johnkylie said:

We are on the cruise leaving Sydney on 12/02/20, stopping at Hobart and Melbourne before we get off in Adelaide.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

We will just have to see whats open and what is available for purchase.  cheers Kylie

Us too, we are not planning on buying any in any case. See you aboard.