Early Disembarkation Papeete

Verokaren

29 minutes ago, Verokaren said:

Do you know how/where I would arrange for a private transport from the dock to the airport in Tahiti?

We had a private transfer that worked out very well. I no longer have the name but the ports of call forum for that port will have lots of recommendations for reliable drivers.

1 hour ago, Verokaren said:

Thank you, Paulchili!  Do you know how/where I would arrange for a private transport from the dock to the airport in Tahiti?  I wonder if there are taxis around at that hour there?  And, Flatbush flyer, I am a self-employed business owner, so I do have a flexible schedule, but can't be on vacation and abandon my clients forever, sadly :)

There are tons of taxis....     My last transit  from the Ferry Dock...300 ft away,, to checkin  , Business class as you , took around 35-40 min. total time.. at 0645 leaving the dock  By 0730  I was in the business lounge by the gate.   At that hour it goes fast

Another thought  is to Get off  the ship the day before and fly ( frequent flights to PPT) and spend that night at the  airport hotel, across the street from the terminal.   Your playing dice  with some big bets...  Even as Paul anf Flatbush said,  if you miss your flight your going to have to pay for 2 nights  in PPT, meals and hotel   and Tahiti is not a cheap place     A shuttle  flight and a cab  may run you only $200-250.... Thats cheap insurance.

2 hours ago, Verokaren said:

Keep any thoughts or ideas coming, and again, thank you, thank you!!

Karen- if I it were me I’d not risk it. Have been in and out of Papeete several times in the last five years on Oceania and Windstar. 4 out of 5 times we got in perfectly on schedule. The last was 1.5 hours late. If O said to not book your flight before 9 am they meant it. Things are slow at Faaa airport as well.

****** this started a long post and forget it. Hawaii Dans advice much better than mine.

Best wishes and fingers crossed it works out.

Edited by Petoonya

10 minutes ago, Verokaren said:

Great input, Hawaii Dan!  We are supposed to be in Raiatea the day before and leaving at 5:00am.  I wonder if there are flights from there to Papeete.  I wouldn't mind getting off that afternoon and flying in. 

check the schedule    there are daily flights as I remember....    you will sleep a lot better doing that... and the Bus class is great to relax..     Sitting on the ship playing the waiting game, eating tums and malox and watching the clock is going to occupy the rest of your time on the ship.......... its a game of nerves and with BIG stakes if you loose,   Too As I recall, business class sells out fast...  you may wait 2 days in PPT only to be down graded to economy on the next flight....Too many unknowns  you can not control

12 hours ago, Verokaren said:

Great input, Hawaii Dan!  We are supposed to be in Raiatea the day before and leaving at 5:00am.  I wonder if there are flights from there to Papeete.  I wouldn't mind getting off that afternoon and flying in. 

AFAIK, these are the flights you might consider  - leaving earlier you might not have time to see Raiatea  and I hope you are in Raiatea on one of these days:

4:30 pm → 5:10 pm  Air Tahiti 741  S        RFP – PPT
4:55 pm → 5:40 pm  Air Tahiti 430  M      RFP – PPT
6:10 pm → 6:55 pm  Air Tahiti 446  S       RFP – PPT
6:15 pm → 7:00 pm   Air Tahiti 315  M     RFP – PPT
6:55 pm → 7:40 pm  Air Tahiti 380    F     RFP – PPT
6:55 pm → 7:40 pm   Air Tahiti 386   W    RFP – PP
Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

All,

I want to give an update to this thread as everyone has been so thoughtful and helpful with your advice and contributions!  I did speak with the flight department at Oceania yesterday who said that many passengers are booked on the same Air France flight departing at 8:20am. I am not sure how they know this, as I did not book through them. Nevertheless, they said it should not be a problem getting off early enough to make that flight. Whew…I think I will just trust them and go with it. I will research the private transfers to the airport, though. Thank you, thank you!