Sanctuary

SeaLibrarian

Depends. First consideration is itinerary. California Coastal, not worth it in my opinion. Too cool. If you are going to Mexico then this will be a warm weather cruise. Probably yes if you enjoy sitting in a private comfortable reserved lounge, all day or half day depending on how you booked. No pool in the sanctuary, but the retreat pool is close by, just outside. Cost is $20/half day morning or afternoon, $40/full day, $30/full day if you reserve for the entire cruise, 7 days including boarding day. To book board early and go promptly to the sanctuary. Reserved lounges can fill.

• Like 2

We absolutely love the Sanctuary in general.  However, I agree with steelers36 that the Sanctuary on Royal has a serious problem with lack of shade.  In fact I'd ONLY book the space on this ship on cool itineraries as our recent Mexico cruises had us broiling under the very direct sun.  Indeed, the fixed glass at the front of the ship (unlike Grand class vessels) inhibited any airflow whatsoever and seemed to magnify the bright sun.  Sanctuary users on our cruise spent most of the day huddled in the shared gazebo for which we were grateful - but frankly isn't what we paid for.

As to the value proposition that I'm afraid is very much an individual opinion.  We like the attentive service, served tea time, ability to come and go (knowing our chairs will always be there waiting for us).  This is worth the charge.  I've met many though who see this an no particular advantage (we can sit on our balcony for free is a frequent counterpoint - true).

Finally I'll say that the adults only, no charge, retreat pool area on Royal delivers much of the Sanctuary experience at no charge.  Sure the chairs aren't as comfortable, and sure your space isn't reserved.  But the atmosphere is very nice, there's a full bar there, a nice (but very deep) pool.  Frankly were I sailing again on Royal I'd likely rely more heavily on this space over the Sanctuary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We sailed on the Royal over Thanksgiving doing the MR itinerary. We booked Sanctuary for the entire week and loved it. The loungers were very comfortable and the service was outstanding. We had chairs right at the front of the space and the glass walls definitely helped keep the wind off of us when under way. The Sanctuary wasn’t full for our voyage, so we were able to shuffle our chairs around a bit to give us some shade. The most uncomfortable we got was in PV with the sun blazing through the glass walls later in the afternoon and there was no a breath of wind to be had.

We had contemplated just renting a cabana at the retreat pool for the 3 port days and then just using loungers around the retreat pool for the sea days, but glad we ended up in the Sanctuary instead as it was definitely a little “blowy” in the pool area whilst the ship was in motion and in fact they closed off the entire retreat area on the way back to San Pedro. 

The most memorable experience from being up in Sanctuary, was seeing hundreds of dolphins playing off the front of the ship as we approach Cabo, though getting buzzed a few times by an F18 Hornet on full afterburner on the last sea day was pretty heart pounding.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, heidikay said:

What are the prices for sanctuary if you book it for the whole week?  Any opinions about the sanctuary on Island Princess?

Sanctuary is $30 / day on a full cruise basis.  You don't book it for the the "week" rather either for individual days or the entire cruise.

Island had her Sanctuary very much improved when cabins were added a few years ago (there were other negative consequences of that remodel - the Sanctuary however very much benefited).

If you want space, go there directly upon boarding (and I do mean directly, don't stop at the cabin to drop a bag, don't get a cocktail, don't explore the ship go DIRECTLY there!).  Spaces are sold first come, first served.  Most warm weather sailings sell out, often on the day of embarkation.  

58 minutes ago, heidikay said:

What are the prices for sanctuary if you book it for the whole week?  Any opinions about the sanctuary on Island Princess?

My opinion of Island's Sanctuary is more to the negative.  Great views to the aft, but it is almost 100% open with virtually no shade at all.  There are some overhead gauze panels but they don't do much.  I used it one afternoon and sat on the port side and had shade from the bulkwork due to position of the sun. 

On 1/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, polmcs said:

We sailed on the Royal over Thanksgiving doing the MR itinerary. We booked Sanctuary for the entire week and loved it. The loungers were very comfortable and the service was outstanding. We had chairs right at the front of the space and the glass walls definitely helped keep the wind off of us when under way. The Sanctuary wasn’t full for our voyage, so we were able to shuffle our chairs around a bit to give us some shade. The most uncomfortable we got was in PV with the sun blazing through the glass walls later in the afternoon and there was no a breath of wind to be had.

We had contemplated just renting a cabana at the retreat pool for the 3 port days and then just using loungers around the retreat pool for the sea days, but glad we ended up in the Sanctuary instead as it was definitely a little “blowy” in the pool area whilst the ship was in motion and in fact they closed off the entire retreat area on the way back to San Pedro. 

The most memorable experience from being up in Sanctuary, was seeing hundreds of dolphins playing off the front of the ship as we approach Cabo, though getting buzzed a few times by an F18 Hornet on full afterburner on the last sea day was pretty heart pounding.

What did you think about the Cabanas in the Sanctuary? Were they pretty well all booked for your cruise?

On 1/22/2020 at 5:21 PM, SeaLibrarian said:

I'll be cruising on the Royal Princess in April and we're considering trying the Sanctuary. We've taken several cruises on princess but have never tried the Sanctuary. Is it worth the extra cost? Would you recommend it? Thanks.  

Nope, not worth the money, nor would I recommend it. But, that's me. No way I'm paying for a lounger when there's tons, tons of free ones, nor do I spend my entire day lounging in one spot. That's me. YMMV..