The Yellow Fever conundrum

Reef Knot

The CDC website advises against getting the YC jab for those 60 and older and especially those who have never been vaccinated against previously . Now a 9 year old would say, I am 59 and 3/4 years of age. 

It seems that several Caribbean countries that we will visit on our cruise require a YC certificate for those arriving from a YF zone. We will be coming from Brazil

Even though I know that I’m under 60 and so technically it shouldn’t be a problem for me it does concern me that I’m pretty much borderline of “the cut of” age and I’ve never had a YC jab which adds to my angst

So it looks like this is this a catch 22 situation  - no YC certificate no entry into French Guiana, Barbados and St Kitts?

Has anyone else had this dilemma of being so close to 60 as to give it some thought, or am I just overthinking this?

4 hours ago, Reef Knot said:

Even though I know that I’m under 60 and so technically it shouldn’t be a problem for me it does concern me that I’m pretty much borderline of “the cut of” age and I’ve never had a YC jab which adds to my angst

So it looks like this is this a catch 22 situation  - no YC certificate no entry into French Guiana, Barbados and St Kitts?

Has anyone else had this dilemma of being so close to 60 as to give it some thought, or am I just overthinking this?

I hate to state the obvious but this is most likely a question better answered by your doctor than a cruise board. 

We have just returned from the Caribbean. Before we left Seabourn said we needed Yellow fever for Colombia, thankfully we already had the certificates, when we got on board we were never asked for them, we did get off in Colombia.

We also visited the ports you mentioned and there was no requirement for them there either.  

3 hours ago, Remember66 said:

Could be we are on the same MANAUS to Miami cruise - I am 59 and 2/3 rds - had the YF jab yesterday - it has to be a case of take the advise or don’t do the trip in my opinion - and as you can see I’m still alive, today !

We are SB to Brazil in April (same cruise as others on here?) and we have our injections booked on Tuesday.  And my husband is 70!  I have just been reading up about this and my husband may have to take advice given his age and/or medication.  But I intend to have it. 

The only cruise I’ve ever taken the yellow fever shot for was the Manaus cruise, especially since we went off the ship overnight and slept in the middle of the jungle.  We also called at Devil’s Island, French Guiana for which the shot is recommended. 

1 hour ago, Reef Knot said:

Well as Mauzac and Remember66 have committed to it, I can hardly wimp out now.

I'll go and see the doc next week and get this sorted.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unless I'm advised not to!  (I'm slightly older than you!)

I received this notification from Seabourn earlier this week after making final payment. We are in late 50-s had vaccination last year and thankfully no side effects.

VACCINATION NOTIFICATION:
Please be advised that Yellow Fever vaccination is strongly recommended for all guests on this itinerary. The vaccine must be given at least 10 days before
your trip. Please bring a valid, original International Certificate for Yellow
Fever or an original, signed vaccine exemption certificate issued by a licensed medical doctor. Note photocopies are not accepted. Guests without proof will
be permitted to board. However, during the cruise, upon arrival at certain ports, documentation may be requested by local officials who will make the final decision on granting guests without proof of vaccination permission to travel ashore.
We recommend you contact an approved health travel advisory service at least 8 weeks prior to travel to discuss travel health precautions for your trip. More information on Yellow Fever can be found by visiting the following website: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/yellow-fever.
Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, scottie920 said:

I received this notification from Seabourn earlier this week after making final payment. We are in late 50-s had vaccination last year and thankfully no side effects.

We had the same notification which has prompted us to book for vaccines next Tuesday.  Good news to hear you had no side effects, fingers crossed for us!  

scottie920

Mauzac

I am on the April Manaus to Miami cruise.  I made my final payment January 6.  I have not received the Vaccination Notification you both got.  How did you receive it?

My travel agent is calling Seabourn to find out why I didn't get it. 

42 minutes ago, plane7c said:

scottie920

Mauzac

I am on the April Manaus to Miami cruise.  I made my final payment January 6.  I have not received the Vaccination Notification you both got.  How did you receive it?

I got it via email forwarded on from my TA but it's a SB notificiation.  It's exactly as Scottie920 has pasted.  

11 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

I got it via email forwarded on from my TA but it's a SB notificiation.  It's exactly as Scottie920 has pasted.  

Thanks.  My travel agent called me and said the preliminary documents are now available on my Seabourn account. I entered my user name and password and was able to view  20 pages of information.  The exact same Vaccination notice was under Travel Planning.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, plane7c said:

Received as an attachment to an email from my Travel agent along with USA visa (esta) requirement.  I copied and pasted to this post for information.  Hope it helps.

scottie920

Mauzac

scottie920 

Your "copied paste" is what prompted me to get that info from Seabourn.  It was not sent in an email but I was told how to find it online on my Seabourn account.  Our preliminary documents are available for review and printing.  Your Voyage. 20 pages.  Under Travel Planning is the Vaccination Requirements Yellow Fever statement.  

I just wanted to report back after our injections yesterday.  The Clinic took a Doctor's advice on whether my husband should have it, given his medical history and age and we were strongly advised to both have it.  We went to Rio de Janeiro and a few stops south in Braxil 3 years ago and didn't have YF vaccine, however apparently they had a bit of an outbreak the following year hence the advice to go ahead.  

Bearing in mind I had an unpleasant reaction to a pneumonia vaccination end of last year, I was wondering about this one.  Needless to say... it's been 24 hours since and neither of us have had any sort of reaction at all.  😀

So in the end, I  went to my local clinic yesterday, asked for the YF jab, and 10 minutes and £30 later I walked out. No after effects at all. In fact I wonder if I really had it as I have absolutely no tenderness on the arm whatsoever. 

Anyway, all done and Yellow fever certificate is in order.

1 hour ago, Reef Knot said:

So in the end, I  went to my local clinic yesterday, asked for the YF jab, and 10 minutes and £30 later I walked out. No after effects at all. In fact I wonder if I really had it as I have absolutely no tenderness on the arm whatsoever. 

That's a very good price!  Agree, I also wondered if I'd had it, same as you!  

3 hours ago, Reef Knot said:

2 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Agree, I also wondered if I'd had it, same as you!  

Thank you for the feedback. My husband and I haven't had ours yet but plan to do South America in the next 12-24 months so will need the Yellow Fever. It sounds less of an issue than my pneumovax I had last week which ached for a few days. I don't usually have any problem with my flu vax.

Julie

On 1/25/2020 at 7:12 AM, dalliowner said:

The good thing is the vaccine is for life now , not time limited. we had no side effects.

I thought it was for life too, but mine was in 1996, and the CDC talks about a booster if it's been more than 10 years. BTW, my doctor, with whom I discussed this yesterday, said the CDC precaution for anyone over 60 applies to ALL vaccinations, not just yellow fever. After talking to Passport Health here in Florida  today, I discovered the booster is the same as the original, and since I am over 65, would need a doctor's certification that I was in good health. Price is about $300. Does that sound about right? See you all on Quest soon!

WHO changed their recommendation 2(?) years ago, declaring yellow fever vaccine is a single dose over lifetime vaccine (I work in global health, for an infectious disease MD - we discussed this quite a bit around the office at the time)

https://www.who.int/ith/vaccines/yf/en/

Type of vaccine: Live, attenuated

Number of doses: One dose of 0.5 ml

Boosters: A single dose of YF vaccine is sufficient to confer sustained lifelong protective immunity against YF disease; a booster dose is not necessary for protection but may still be required by some countries. Adjustments of the provisions for the duration of validity of certificates under the IHR are ongoing.

CDC currently also says single dose good for most people. https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/vaccine/

Yellow Fever Vaccine

A safe and effective yellow fever vaccine has been available for more than 80 years.

• A single dose provides lifelong protection for most people.