Updates from the Coral on Jan 21-Feb 6 Antartica Voyage

gottagocit

Gottagocit, I agree so strongly with you!  I was on the Jan 5 cruise, and everywhere we went, there were people coughing and sneezing.  We tried very had to avoid close contact with people.  If someone nearby was coughing or sneezing, we changed our seats or left.  We skipped all but one show in the theater.  We went to the Universe Lounge for the naturalist talks, because people are a lot more spread out in there.  We spent a lot of time in our stateroom.  We had books to read, and watched a lot of the movies that were on tv.  We mostly viewed the scenery from our balcony or through the sliding glass doors.  We were successful in staying healthy;  did not want to be sick on an 11 hour flight home from Buenos Aires.  It's sad that we had to forego some things due to others coughing and sneezing, but for us the main attraction was Antarctica and Falkland Islands.  Did not want to be sick and miss those things.  We thought, there is always another cruise to catch more of the shows and activities. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DaisyRose said:

Gottagocit, I agree so strongly with you!  I was on the Jan 5 cruise, and everywhere we went, there were people coughing and sneezing.  We tried very had to avoid close contact with people.  If someone nearby was coughing or sneezing, we changed our seats or left.  We skipped all but one show in the theater.  We went to the Universe Lounge for the naturalist talks, because people are a lot more spread out in there.  We spent a lot of time in our stateroom.  We had books to read, and watched a lot of the movies that were on tv.  We mostly viewed the scenery from our balcony or through the sliding glass doors.  We were successful in staying healthy;  did not want to be sick on an 11 hour flight home from Buenos Aires.  It's sad that we had to forego some things due to others coughing and sneezing, but for us the main attraction was Antarctica and Falkland Islands.  Did not want to be sick and miss those things.  We thought, there is always another cruise to catch more of the shows and activities. 

Couldn't agree more of what you stated.  It was extra effort to avoid close contact with upper respiratory virus carriers on the Jan 5 cruise.  I have to rethink my future cruise vacation now to see if it is still enjoyable.  For some reasons in the past few years, this "movie" has on repeated run each time.

1 hour ago, gottagocit said:

I could not agree more. The weather,  

route, crew/staff as well as the captain regularly sharing information and insight to his decisions have been exceptional. We have been so lucky in so may ways this far. I’m keeping fingers crossed this will continue for the rest of the voyage.

The only not-so-well thing I’ll throw out is I wish people who insist on coming aboard with nasty colds (or worse) would at least quarantine themselves in their cabins or outside areas rather than walk around the ship mingling with everyone and coughing their heads off, spreading it to so many others. The evening before last I came down with the crud and have been seeing everything since from our cabin glass doors or balcony since. A quick visit to the medical facility found it’s likely just the typical respiratory illness so many suffer with with traveling in tight quarters with those who have the illness and spread it rather than being more respective of others. I was given a couple medicines to take for the next few days. 

I always make a point of listening for a few minutes while waiting for shows or lectures to begin and notice how many I hear coughing around me. Without exception the number increases significantly from the first few days to later on every cruise we’ve been on. 
I will never understand why people can’t show more respect for others. 

Chris

Absolutely agree with you there!! Came onboard healthy and within 2 days had the bloddy cough. Lucky for me I got straight into the antibiotics and minimised contact with others. Stayed in a quiet corner of the solarium, Had room service brekky and requested table for two at dinner. 

Keep up the thread and I'm happy to hear of your great experience in Antarctica. We are already thinking of going again in 2023 🐧🦙🚢😊

Cheers,

Naomi

• Like 2

So funny this topic has been brought up. On the Sky in Nov-Early Dec and we were in the Princess Theater and his man and lady were behind us. He was sick, and her comment was "Well, I hope you don't give this to me." as he coughed his head off. Needless to say, she did not have to worry. I was the winner of the contest of getting his sickness and was sick for 2 seeks after we got home. Please stay out of the theaters if you are sick, some of us would like to come home healthy.

• Like 3

So sorry that you are ailing but sadly we encountered several people hacking and sneezing on the cruise before your's and on the flight on the way home.  Strangely I have not succumbed but my husband started coughing right after we got home and still hasn't shaken it.

It is stunning to me that sick people think so little of others that they continue to go into confined areas like the theaters and excursion buses where they can pass their grunge on to others.  I realize that it stinks to get ill on a cruise, especially a  special one like Antarctica, and people don't want to miss a thing.  But common decency should dictate that people should seek to stay away from others when they are possibly contagious.  Someone in frail health could die from exposure to some of these bugs.

Hope you feel better soon but it sounds like you are at least considerate of others while feeling ill.  Rest up and hopefully you'll feel good enough to enjoy Ushuaia and Punta Arenas.

• Like 1

Well the seas finally came alive and had the ship rocking and rolling all night. Not sure what wave size we’ve had officially but they’ve been sizable. Guess we were due.

Thanks for the kind words about feeling better soon. Hopefully today will be the turning point. Do feel some better but still coughing during night. So wish people would understand what they do to so many by using public areas when they have it. 

Not much else to report at this point. 

• Like 1