Haven Bid WIN! Breakaway 02/01/20 sailing

mjcatlvr

6 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

I actually didn't even know about the bidding process until after I booked and final payment - then I got the email asking me if I wanted to upgrade.  And to be honest, I was very confused when I received the offer as the entire Haven (all suites) was booked at that time based on what I saw online.  We have the H6 (aft penthouse) and the offers were for the 2 bedroom villa (H4 - wouldn't consider over the H6), and then the Owners Suite (H3) and Deluxe Owners Suite (H2).  I just couldn't justify the additional cost for either Owners Suite, so didn't bid.

I'm so excited about this cruise and the Haven, I cannot tell you!   My family isn't quite as excited as me - I think there's some trepidation with the unknown, haha

OMG!!!! You are not making a mistake. Your family will be with the program quickly, especially if they have cruised before. The Aft cabins are fantastic as the balconies are huge!!!! You just have to make sure that you really use the Haven amenities at the other end of the ship (Private Bar and Restaurant, Concierge, private pool, Hot Tub and Sun area). Happy sailing!!!!

"We have the H6 (aft penthouse) and the offers were for the 2 bedroom villa (H4 - wouldn't consider over the H6), and then the Owners Suite (H3) and Deluxe Owners Suite (H2).  I just couldn't justify the additional cost for either Owners Suite, so didn't bid."

We booked into the H4 and won't be participating in any upgrade bids.  We want the second "bedroom" aka closed off space for our 9 year old.   I don't have any regrets or worries related to cost.  We have the room we want.  

My in-laws are in an aft balcony (H6)  and feel the same way about bidding "up".   The loss of the amazing deck would feel like a downgrade to them.   

The H4 has a sad deck, but these are the things you give up for an extra space to house the favorite (only) kid. 

25 minutes ago, TPgal said:

We booked into the H4 and won't be participating in any upgrade bids.  We want the second "bedroom" aka closed off space for our 9 year old.   I don't have any regrets or worries related to cost.  We have the room we want.  

My in-laws are in an aft balcony (H6)  and feel the same way about bidding "up".   The loss of the amazing deck would feel like a downgrade to them.   

The H4 has a sad deck, but these are the things you give up for an extra space to house the favorite (only) kid. 

Sorry, I hope you weren't thinking my comments were disparaging the H4.  Just for us, I wouldn't switch.  I totally get your points.

If the H4 had a better balcony, I'd be all-in for that room within Haven proper.

Edited by GettotheSun
correcting term

1 hour ago, mjcatlvr said:

OMG!!!! You are not making a mistake. Your family will be with the program quickly, especially if they have cruised before. The Aft cabins are fantastic as the balconies are huge!!!! You just have to make sure that you really use the Haven amenities at the other end of the ship (Private Bar and Restaurant, Concierge, private pool, Hot Tub and Sun area). Happy sailing!!!!

I have had several nights that I send myself to sleep dreaming about the balcony, haha.  I totally agree about using the actual Haven amenities.  Especially the restaurant/bar and Concierge.  Not sure we will actually spend much time in Haven proper courtyard, given our room location and the boys propensity to run around and I'm sure they will want to be anywhere but the Haven proper, sorry but true.  They are super well behaved at a restaurant, but they are 14 and 11 year old boys so they want to have fun, but not happening in the Haven, NOPE.

17 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

With bids you only keep what you paid for I believe?

What was the cost difference between paying before verse the bid?

Thanks!

Those are room amenities not booking amenities and they will get them plus a champagne unless NCL cheaps out to sparkling wine which they are known to do.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 6:23 PM, mjcatlvr said:

At a week and a day out, we got the word that our bid was accepted going from a Haven Courtyard (H5) to a Haven Owners Suite with Large Balcony (H3)...YEA! I thought that the chances were slim since there are only two cabins this size on the ship and Woot Woot! We got it!

It's just the two of us, Platinum Latitudes, We cruise with NCL usually twice yearly (for those trying to figure out the algorithm). This is the second "Bid" we have won through NCL. Again, the bid was just one hair above poor and into the fair category. Part of the equation I am sure is that someone behind us bid higher coming from a Mini Suite like we did the last time wanting to experience The Haven and they needed our cabin to put them into, super lucky for us!

I think that the program is brilliant as it gives folks like us an opportunity to try The Haven at a little discount, knowing that once you sail in The Haven, its tough to go back!! So freaking spoiled!!

If we got bumped up, then someone else out there is super happy too! CONGRATULATIONS!!!   🙂

Awesome!  I'm on that cruise as well.

14 hours ago, GettotheSun said:

I actually didn't even know about the bidding process until after I booked and final payment - then I got the email asking me if I wanted to upgrade.  And to be honest, I was very confused when I received the offer as the entire Haven (all suites) was booked at that time based on what I saw online.  We have the H6 (aft penthouse) and the offers were for the 2 bedroom villa (H4 - wouldn't consider over the H6), and then the Owners Suite (H3) and Deluxe Owners Suite (H2).  I just couldn't justify the additional cost for either Owners Suite, so didn't bid.

I'm so excited about this cruise and the Haven, I cannot tell you!   My family isn't quite as excited as me - I think there's some trepidation with the unknown, haha

IMO the H6 aft penthouse is the BEST category on the ship.  I certainly don't consider the 2 bed an upgrade.  Since I've never been in the OS or DOS, I can't really say.  I'm sure they are lovely but like you, I would prefer the spacious aft suite any day.  I have seen where they offer a bid on a category that is not showing as available and I'm guessing it's for safe measure in case there's a cancellation.  Some have said that the drawback to the aft suites is the proximity to the Haven area.  We didn't find this to be an issue on our last cruise.  One day while in port, Harvest Caye, I think, it rained cats and dogs for nearly an hour.  We watched the rain (and drenched passengers) from the comfort of our balcony and stayed dry as a bone.  I'm so excited for you!

On 1/27/2020 at 6:10 PM, GettotheSun said:

I think the bid process is automatic and doesn't always make sense if the room is smaller or doesn't seem like an upgrade.

My husband says it is worth the money just seeing how excited I was that we don't have to wait and try to bid.  We are on the Star, so no actual Haven area, but all the perks of the Haven, and we are in a family suite.  So I'm good with that.  You really get spoiled not having to wait in lines or get to the shows early.  Your spots are always reserved.  And breakfast in the Haven restaurant is awesome. 

Last cruise we were waiting in extremely long lines to get tenders back to the ship.  (not NCL's fault, we just all showed up at once I guess). Every time I saw someone go to the side for Haven  guests and not have to wait in the line I reminded myself it would be worth the extra $$ next time 😊

On 1/28/2020 at 8:44 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

IMO the H6 aft penthouse is the BEST category on the ship.  I certainly don't consider the 2 bed an upgrade.  Since I've never been in the OS or DOS, I can't really say.  I'm sure they are lovely but like you, I would prefer the spacious aft suite any day.  I have seen where they offer a bid on a category that is not showing as available and I'm guessing it's for safe measure in case there's a cancellation.  Some have said that the drawback to the aft suites is the proximity to the Haven area.  We didn't find this to be an issue on our last cruise.  One day while in port, Harvest Caye, I think, it rained cats and dogs for nearly an hour.  We watched the rain (and drenched passengers) from the comfort of our balcony and stayed dry as a bone.  I'm so excited for you!

Thank you!  Yes I am so looking forward to that balcony!  I have read it is about a 5 min walk to the Haven, maybe a bit more?

Did you have room service on the balcony at all?  That's another thing I'm really looking forward to!  46 days! 

1 hour ago, GettotheSun said:

Thank you!  Yes I am so looking forward to that balcony!  I have read it is about a 5 min walk to the Haven, maybe a bit more?

Did you have room service on the balcony at all?  That's another thing I'm really looking forward to!  46 days! 

We had room service for breakfast most days and enjoyed eating on the wonderful balcony.  But we ordered light and then stopped by the Haven restaurant for breakfast as well.  😁  Good thing it's a little walk away. 

On 1/28/2020 at 7:44 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Specifically related to the BA and GA, the H6 is a tough contender due to the large balcony and overall good room layout plus more usable as not as much wind yet outside of the Haven.  I'd put it better than the H3 due to the balcony and nothing really special about the room compared to H6.  Vs. the H2, the H2 also has a huge balcony and it wraps to the side but they put a door on the BA (GA had one when built) that you have to open to go to the side and it acts like a sail.  The H2 has a separate, large master, a huge living room, and a fabulous bathroom though and huge closet space that can be accessed from the master or by sofa bed.  At worst, I'd call it a slight edge to the H2, especially if you are a party of 4.

The BIG downer to these rooms is the movable wall that leaks noise very badly.

On the Escape and newer ships they no longer have the movable wall between the H3 and H2, they added four more of these room, the H2 can now sleep up to six with basically an inside room added to it so it and the newer ships (the newest not having H3, just H2 and dropping it to just H2 due to addition of all that front lounge space).

On 1/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, mjcatlvr said:

The first Upgrade into Haven that we won was from a Mini Suite to a Courtyard and we still got the free Champagne and goodies that come if you had booked Haven from the start. Who knows if we will get the extra booze and water this time?  With this win, we are saving just over $3K between the two of us and I am excited for the Front facing Balcony especially, so won't be devastated if we don't get the extras.

You get everything that comes with a Haven booking and Owners Suite booking, the only thing you wouldn't get is if you had less than the 5 free at sea, you keep your current free at sea perks and don't automatically get the 5 that come with an upfront booking.  You will get the booze in your room.  Call the concierge number prior to sailing and arrange what you want for the cabin. 1-855-625-4283

On 1/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, mjcatlvr said:

Yes, a Gigantic, expensive mistake! We were Happy Campers in a regular cabin but now have turned into Spoiled Brats! We love everything about cruising in The Haven. The best thing is never having to wait in a line for pretty much everything! Enjoy your first cruise 🙂 

Yes there is no going back.  You are permanently hooked.  It happened to us, it can happen to anyone....

14 hours ago, CRAustin said:

You get everything that comes with a Haven booking and Owners Suite booking, the only thing you wouldn't get is if you had less than the 5 free at sea, you keep your current free at sea perks and don't automatically get the 5 that come with an upfront booking.  You will get the booze in your room.  Call the concierge number prior to sailing and arrange what you want for the cabin. 1-855-625-4283

Perfect!!!