WiFi Calling With Verizon

GTO-Girl

We have AT&T and already know, with the internet package, we will have WiFi calling.  In December we are taking our granddaughter on the Harmony and she has Verizon.  

Before I buy her the internet package can someone tell me if Verizon works the same?  Thanks!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

I have used my verizon phone on Royal for wifi calling.

It will depend on the phone she has and if she has wifi calling turned on.  This is usually an advanced calling setting.

It is easy to test at home now.   Place her phone in airplane mode.   Turn on the wifi.

See if she can place a call.  The ship's wifi is no different than your home wifi when it comes to this.

Edited by Longhorn Cruiser

6 minutes ago, Longhorn Cruiser said:

It will depend on the phone she has and if she has wifi calling turned on.  This is usually an advanced calling setting.

It is easy to test at home now.   Place her phone in airplane mode.   Turn on the wifi.

See if she can place a call.  The ship's wifi is no different then your home wifi when it comes to this.

We will do that....thank you!!!

You do not need to turn it on before you leave.

You need to SET IT UP, before you leave.  Which is turning it on for the first time.  For setup, your phone must be connected to the cellular network.

Once it is set up, you can turn it on or off at any time.

Wifi calling has nothing to do with AT&T or Verizon, or Willy Wonka cellular.

It has to do with your Phone. Does your phone have wifi calling capability? Does you phone have the ability to connect to wifi?

Then put your phone in Airplane mode (this takes away any semblance of cellular carrier), and activate wifi calling.

6 hours ago, Longhorn Cruiser said:

Same here.  Used it on Freedom of the Seas (2019)  and Celebrity Equinox (2018) with no issues.

--bruce T.

20 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Wifi calling has nothing to do with AT&T or Verizon, or Willy Wonka cellular.

It has to do with your Phone. Does your phone have wifi calling capability? Does you phone have the ability to connect to wifi?

Then put your phone in Airplane mode (this takes away any semblance of cellular carrier), and activate wifi calling.

Not correct.

You carrier also has to support it.  Otherwise there is no wifi portal to their network.

6 minutes ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

Yes, I have Boost Mobile and they do not support wifi calling.  Thinking about switching carriers for this reason.

If you travel internationally, T-Mobile is awesome.

If you don't want to purchase the Wifi package for the complete week for her, Verizon also has a travel pass that you can generally pay $10 per day in most countries.  The $10 gets you everything you would normally get at your home for that day.  You have access to your normal data, texting and calling.

To get this Travel Pass, it needs to be activated online before you go.  You only pay if you use your phone in a foreign country for that day.

11 minutes ago, Longhorn Cruiser said:

If you don't want to purchase the Wifi package for the complete week for her, Verizon also has a travel pass that you can generally pay $10 per day in most countries.  The $10 gets you everything you would normally get at your home for that day.  You have access to your normal data, texting and calling.

To get this Travel Pass, it needs to be activated online before you go.  You only pay if you use your phone in a foreign country for that day.

Note, though, that is only for use at port stops, not onboard through Cellular at Sea.

I discussed Wi-Fi calling with Verizon in this post in a recent thread.  

It absolutely works with Voom, but as has been discussed already, you must SET IT UP before you leave.  You have to be connected to the cellular provider in order to set it up -- you can't set it up while already at sea.