Live - Standing Ovation from the Land Down Under - New Zealand, 11 Nights Feb. 2, 2020

twangster

well now I became jealous so I have booked my cruise for 13 days in November on Majestic Princess(sorry prices were better for solo).  And if you fly before Nov 25th the air is about 30% less as well.  In fact I can fly to Sydney cheaper than Amsterdam in August. 

Only sorry I am not visiting Wellington as Ovation is but I am looking for the March releases for 2021 and will think about Ovation for next year.

ALSO,   Sat around 2 pm EST - GO ONTO CRUISIN Website and check port cams for Australia and select Sydney and the third on the list FOR HARBOR Bridge.  Then watch the Ovation come in approx 2:15 -2:45 EST.

Sydney is 16 hours ahead and Ovation comes in around 6-6:45 am.  Check CruiseMapper web site to also to see the location.   It is fun to watch Ovation come in and I have done this many times in last few months.  A couple weeks back she came in 3 hours late for some reason.

Day -4 (or is it -2?)

I booked my flights on Delta using Skymiles.  Then as we got closer and with the thought of 14 hours in one airplane seat on my mind I upgraded to Premium Select.  This gets you more legroom, more space between seats, a larger TV and an upgraded meal service.

ov_day-2-1.jpg

The menu:

ov_day-2-8.jpg

ov_day-2-9.jpg

ov_day-2-10.jpg

Somewhere around the equator the pilot couldn't line up with the equatorial gate so we had to run along near the equator until he found it.

ov_day-2-2.jpg

We crossed a few time zones along the way.

ov_day-2-3.jpg

With 90 minutes left it was time for our breakfast so last map photo, I promise.

While boarding I spotted some Royal luggage tags on some carry on bags.  The couple across the isle where boarding HAL on Saturday and the lady next to me was taking a sampler cruise on Voyager next. 

Coming off the plane... smack.  There's that summer heat and humidity that Australia if famous for. 

Walking through the duty shops towards immigration I spotted a passport kiosk just after the shops on the right that was empty so I did the passport scan thing and got my ticket.  That got me through to luggage where 10 minutes later our luggage started flowing.  

I queued up to leave and handed my ticket and passenger record I filled out in flight and that was it.  My passport already had the eTA so it was all very easy.  

This morning I would take the train to downtown.  The train was packed with morning commuters but I managed with my suitcase and backpack.  No opportunity to take pictures when you are a sardine in a sardine can.

Coming off the train at the Circular Quay station and low and behold... Voyager of the Seas!

ov_day-2-5.jpg

I walked towards my hotel in the direction of the ship spotting a very good doggie.

ov_day-2-6.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Then watch the Ovation come in approx 2:15 -2:45 EST.

Sydney is 16 hours ahead and Ovation comes in around 6-6:45 am.  Check CruiseMapper web site to also to see the location.   It is fun to watch Ovation come in and I have done this many times in last few months.  A couple weeks back she came in 3 hours late for some reason.

I think I'll watch her come in from the Sydney Harbor Bridge in person.  Much better views 😉 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 11:28 PM, Coralc said:

That's why we did the Pylon Climb. You can take photos of people on the bridge climb, and awesome shots of the harbor. And it was much less expensive. :classic_biggrin:

We’re visiting Sydney for 3 days prior to our TP April 20th and plan to do the Pylon Climb. Thanks for confirming we can get awesome photos of the harbour etc. 

Jenni 

Day -2 continued...

My hotel for this stay in the Holiday Inn.

ov_day-2-24.jpg

At least I booked the Holiday Inn.  My confirmation email says the Holiday Inn.  However at 55 George Street one will find the Rydges hotel.  Fortunately they had a reservation for me.  My room wasn't ready at 9am which I already knew it most likely would not be but they offered to store my luggage.  

The Rydges is very convenient to the Overseas Passenger Terminal and the entire Circular Quay area.  Located in "The Rocks" area it's very convenient to a lot.

With a cruise ship in port I took the opportunity to look around so I could plan my luggage drop off and arrival for my cruise. Around 9am there were debarking guests still coming out of the terminal.

ov_day-2-12.jpg

ov_day-2-21.jpg

The Overseas Passenger Terminal entrance.

ov_day-2-19.jpg

ov_day-2-20.jpg

ov_day-2-22.jpg

The other end of the terminal has a restaurant/bar.

ov_day-2-13.jpg

• Like 3

Campbells Cove and the Circular Quay area has some historical interest.

ov_day-2-18.jpg

This is where the first colonist arrived in Australia. The area has recently been transformed and is very pleasant to walk around.

ov_day-2-17.jpg

ov_day-2-14.jpg

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is a dominant landmark in the area.  I'll be climbing it in the morning.

ov_day-2-15.jpg

ov_day-2-16.jpg

• Like 2

Some more pictures as I walked around with my backpack loaded with camera stuff and my valuables while I waited for my hotel room to be ready.

Did I mention it's hot here and with the sun rising higher in the sky it was getting hotter before noon when many of these pictures were taken.

ov_day-2-25.jpg

I had a 4:35am bridge climb booked so I wanted to find the meeting place in the daylight today.

ov_day-2-26.jpg

I had also learned you can walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge so I then set off to find that path.

ov_day-2-27.jpg

ov_day-2-28.jpg

ov_day-2-29.jpg

ov_day-2-30.jpg

Looking back and down to the Campbells Cove area I walked around before.

ov_day-2-31.jpg

ov_day-2-32.jpg

ov_day-2-33.jpg

Great views of the Sydney Opera House from here.

ov_day-2-34.jpg

ov_day-2-35.jpg

If you look through the mesh of the fence you will some bridge climbers getting ready for their ascent.   I'm not sure I'd want to do the bridge climb in the heat of the day so make sure you plan your booking times carefully if you are thinking about doing this in the summer.

ov_day-2-36.jpg

ov_day-2-37.jpg

ov_day-2-38.jpg

ov_day-2-39.jpg

ov_day-2-40.jpg

Constant ferry traffic into and out of Circular Quay.

ov_day-2-41.jpg

• Like 6

@twangster, this is awesome! I’m taking notes so when the opportunity to book a longer cruise presents itself in my life, I will be far more ready to go than I would without your excellent tips.  😎😀🛳

Your travel tips, travel docs requires, getting around Sydney are all in my files. Thank you! 

Wow! 4:35 AM bridge climb! I get it with the heat during the day, but I think this night owl would have to just stay up all night to do the bridge climb, then sleep afterwards! 😱  It’s good to know that there’s a way to just walk across the bridge on your own. That way, my camera can come along with me. 

Edited by perfect match
  • Like 1

Just as I was coming off the bridge the hotel called to let me know my room was ready.  The Rydges is an older hotel but that's understandable being that I am in Old Sydney.   The hotel has worked out fine and it has blessed air conditioning.   It's been well used on these 1,000° days with 10,000% humidity.  And to think I thought Cuba in July was hot.  

King deluxe room:

ov_day-2-hotel-1.jpg

ov_day-2-hotel-2.jpg

ov_day-2-hotel-3.jpg

ov_day-2-hotel-4.jpg

ov_day-2-hotel-5.jpg

ov_day-2-hotel-6.jpg

ov_day-2-hotel-7.jpg

What a relief getting my albatross (camera equipment and backpack ) off my neck.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm not sure I'd want to do the bridge climb in the heat of the day so make sure you plan your booking times carefully if you are thinking about doing this in the summer.

Which summer are you referring to?

Its summer there now, correct 🤔

• Like 1

Friendly reminder, please don't quote photos and repeat them.  Thank you!

With just my camera around my neck it felt great walking around.  With a fresh batch of sunscreen on I wandered back down to the cruise terminal to see how it was going.

2:18pm:

ov_day-2pm-1.jpg

A few guests still arriving but it appears the majority are already on board.

ov_day-2pm-2.jpg

ov_day-2pm-3.jpg

ov_day-2pm-4.jpg

Photographers note - the sun has come around from this morning.  Earlier the sun was on the Opera House side of Circular Quay but in the afternoon it is on the bridge side of the Quay.

ov_day-2pm-5.jpg

I had visions of watching Voyager sail away from the bridge but I could feel the time zones starting to weigh on me so I decided this park would suffice.

ov_day-2pm-6.jpg

I spotted some bridge climbers beginning their ascent.  Good lord people, could you pick a hotter time of the day to climb the bridge?

ov_day-2pm-7.jpg

My stomach knew what time it was so I went back to James Squires right beside the ship.

ov_day-2pm-9.jpg

Fish and Chips:

ov_day-2pm-10.jpg

From my air conditioned and beer laden bar seat I noted the group had made it to the summit. 

ov_day-2pm-11.jpg

Voyager was supposed to sail at 4:30pm so I went back to the park near the base of the bridge and waited.  And waited.  Maybe if I just rest my eyes for a minute.  Maybe falling asleep in a public park with my camera wasn't a great idea.  Half hour overdue I gave up and wandered back to my hotel.  

The Rocks area was decorated for the Lunar Festival.

ov_day-2pm-12.jpg

Street vendors along the back side of my hotel.

ov_day-2pm-13.jpg

ov_day-2pm-14.jpg

ov_day-2pm-15.jpg

ov_day-2pm-16.jpg

From my hotel Campbells Cove is just down that road to the right about 100m.

ov_day-2pm-17.jpg

The hotel has a rooftop pool so I thought I'd check it out while I was sticky and hot from walking around.

ov_day-2pm-18.jpg

ov_day-2pm-19.jpg

With that a long cold shower was in order and time for a nap.  I later learned that Voyager didn't leave until after 7pm.  She's on a cruise to nowhere I think.  Absent of the PVSA they can do those cruises down under.  I suspect that's why she took her time departing.  I'm glad I didn't hang around the park for her departure.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

Photographers note - the sun has come around from this morning.  Earlier the sun was on the Opera House side of Circular Quay but in the afternoon it is on the bridge side of the Quay.

Laura doesn't understand the issues with sun.

Gets mad when I tell her she's in bad light. 

And in her case, wind can be just as bad

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, twangster said:

I think I'll watch her come in from the Sydney Harbor Bridge in person.  Much better views 😉 

duh of course.  BTW what hotel did you pick to be near ship?

I am starting my research for my Nov cruise.

Let us know if you will have a flag or banner on the PORT side of ship waving so at 1am we can all watch.

Have great trip and hoping it on't be sad for return to Tauranga first time.

23 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

It's there.

You can see twangster waving from the top of the bridge.  😄  

Sydney Bridge & Harbour, Sydney, Australia - Sydney, New South Wales

I was on the bridge!  Center under the flags at the road deck level.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, I still have yesterday's pictures to post, but since that is today in North America, I'm still on time.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well now you are officially the Rick Steves of Cruise Critic.  I don't have to buy any books on Australia as I will just take notes from your trip.

I did NOT KNOW that there was a pedestrian section for walking on the bridge.  I will do that instead of the upper scary level.  Great photos.

I am not sure if I will reserve the hotel you are in.  Not quite sure about what happened to Holiday Inn.

Sounds like Sydney has lots of hotels and stuff to do near ship just like IN Vancouver so that is good to know. No worries about transfers to ship.

Again thanks and I will start my note pad.  So excited for your trip and eventually mine.

However, I do have Symphony in April out of Miami and  Vision of seas out of Barcelona in May.

toodles and I will try not to bother you too much with questions.  Safe sailing  Good that you are telling folks to not reply by including photos.  I hate that.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Oh never mind I now see you mentioned hotel.!!!!!!!!

let us know if you think others should choose this one.  Or any nearby hotels that look nice too.

ONE HR before ship comes in as it is 1:36 EST.

Four seasons hotel is the best in the area ,The Rydges is ok for a night 

24 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Four seasons hotel is the best in the area ,The Rydges is ok for a night 

oh thanks I will make not when I search on line to reserve.

I have stopped doing hotel package through the cruise line.

Let me know what train to take to the Quay from airport.  Last year I got brave and took a train from heathrow into London central instead of a cab.  I was so proud of myself.  Another place to do this is Vancouver.