Ireland - duty on excess spirits

ropomo

I tried posting this on the British Isles forum with no info.  Anyone have any knowledge of duty/tax rates on a liter of liquor in excess of the one liter per person exemption?  I have spent a great deal of time on google trying to find this to no avail.  Have an O cruise later this year planning a pre-cruise stay in Dublin followed by cruise.  My research shows that liquor prices in Ireland are very high and want to evaluate buying all I need in duty free state side and declaring excess/pay duty vs. prices I see online for Dublin liquor stores.

I don't know the duty/tax rate for Ireland but you might not need to pay at all depending on their allowances

For example, you might be allowed to tale that bottle into Ireland for personal consumption duty free - can't give it to anyone, not even a wee dram.

I saw this info for Canadians entering the US on vacation. I could not find this info officially on a government website and not tried it myself. (but just might the next time I am stuck in one of those insanely long crossing line-ups.) So maybe you can try the same approach and find a duty-free seller for sales to take into Ireland (not easy I am sure)

Hope this helps a bit.

https://westcoastdutyfree.com/allowances/
What is an anytime personal exemption?

Canadians can bring 1L of alcohol (1L of spirits, wine and beer) and some tobacco into the U.S. regardless of the duration of the stay in the U.S., so long as the alcohol and tobacco is for personal use.

Edited by YoHoHo

OP: unless you are from a state with only gov't run retail liquor sales and/or interstate alcohol shipping limits, why ever would you buy booze at an airport "duty free" shop? 

First off, "duty free" is a very misunderstood concept in that it usually means the store paid no duty, which may have nothing to do with what they ultimately charge you.

Also, you may be subject to local sales tax at the post by of purchase as well as the import taxes at home should you exceed the import amount allowance.

In any case, I have found that most of what is sold abroad can be found (local/internet retail or through a distributor or from the producer directly) at far less than the prices at those "duty free" shops.

If you're specifically concerned with Irish spirits, note that we regularly buy items Gunpowder gin and Dingle's gin here in the SF Bay Area which, even with local sales tax, are far less expensive that purchasing them retail in Dublin or "duty free" at the airport (and then carting them around and possibly incurring overweight bagage fees when flying home with your Irish booze).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ropomo said:

I tried posting this on the British Isles forum with no info.  Anyone have any knowledge of duty/tax rates on a liter of liquor in excess of the one liter per person exemption?  I have spent a great deal of time on google trying to find this to no avail.  Have an O cruise later this year planning a pre-cruise stay in Dublin followed by cruise.  My research shows that liquor prices in Ireland are very high and want to evaluate buying all I need in duty free state side and declaring excess/pay duty vs. prices I see online for Dublin liquor stores.

I can’t help specifically other than we brought some rum back from the Caribbean into London a few years back and the duty we paid was based on a sliding scale depending on the alcohol strength but can’t remember how much it was! Have you searched for the EU’s duty rates?

If you like Irish Whiskey, Jameson’s Distillery in Dublin has a tour and a shop😉! The Musical Pub crawl is fun too! Both are easily found on google.

Thanks for the replies.  Based on some of the responses, I think I should clarify using a liter of Jack Daniels as an example.

• I have done extensive searches on the web for Irish rates and thus far have only found calculators geared more towards importers of large quantities 
  • Iocal price in Atlanta liquor store is $34.99 plus tax
  • Price in duty free store at ATL today is $25.00 plus tax
  • Example price found online for a Dublin liquor store near the VRVB I am staying $51.11 plus any Irish tax applied
  • Buying at duty free not only cheaper than at local store, but I pick it up on the jetway and walk on the plane not having to schlep it from home (flying Delta One business class so onboard storage is not an issue).  Then place in luggage at baggage claim. Have arranged for van to take us from airport to VRVB (being met coming out of customs and dropped at door), minimizing the distance I must transport.
  • Irish duty free limit is one liter per person of legal age.  My wife and I would like to bring in one extra liter per person to last us the duration of our lengthy vacation for a total of four liters.
  • So the bottom line question is whether the duty for the extra liter each would approach the $26.11 difference x 2 for the 2 liters in excess of the duty free limit (which in my mind $52.22 is a big premium to pay for just buying it in Dublin).  Additionally, buying it in Dublin would require me to carry it from the store back to lodging.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

On searching further, it’s not easy to find an answer but have come across an email address for the Customs Information Office for Ireland which maybe worth a try.

customsinfo@revenue.ie

Thanks, I found that a few weeks ago and tried it and received a bounce back as "undeliverable" indicating the email no longer exists.

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

Thanks, given that, it comes out to $18.76 per liter of Jack Daniels at 80 proof (40% alcohol) and would save just under $8.00 a liter.  Just need to decide if its worth dealing with the extra two to save $15+, but definitely worth bringing in my allotted 2 liters for us.

2 hours ago, ropomo said:

Thanks, given that, it comes out to $18.76 per liter of Jack Daniels at 80 proof (40% alcohol) and would save just under $8.00 a liter.  Just need to decide if its worth dealing with the extra two to save $15+, but definitely worth bringing in my allotted 2 liters for us.

Have you considered that you may be overthinking this just a tad? I like being frugal at times but in the grand scheme of things what's the most you could 'lose.' And what will you have spent on the trip total.

2 hours ago, ropomo said:

definitely worth bringing in my allotted 2 liters for us.

We've definitely done this - Singapore and Germany I can remember off the top of my head (and lots in the US - usually when it's far easier logistically to pack than to try to shop upon arrival). And the space where the alcohol is packed outbound becomes extra space for souvenirs (usually food, spices, or scarves for me) on the return :-)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Have you considered that you may be overthinking this just a tad? I like being frugal at times but in the grand scheme of things what's the most you could 'lose.' And what will you have spent on the trip total.

Yes, and in the context of what all is going on in the world today, probably 100% of the postings on this forum is "overthinking". Thank you for your insight on the topic I posted.

12 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Yes, and in the context of what all is going on in the world today, probably 100% of the postings on this forum is "overthinking". Thank you for your insight on the topic I posted.

I wasn't trying to be mean or sarcastic. My husband Bob aka "my frugal Scotsman husband" sometimes has to rein himself in. When you're paying thousands of dollars for something does a few more really matter if you have to jump through hoops to make it happen.

I'm rather with Clo here ... I also have a frugal husband!  I often ignore him and get what I want without considering the cost -- er, within reason.

So I wouldn't consider various costs when deciding whether to bring liquor with me, just what is more convenient.

I WILL say that for someone wanting bourbon -- we've often had a problem even finding bourbon in Europe.  It may be different now since I haven't tried to find it in a number of years.  I never had a problem finding it on a ship, but sure did when on land.

So that might be an argument for importing your own ...

Mura

11 minutes ago, Mura said:

I'm rather with Clo here ... I also have a frugal husband!  I often ignore him and get what I want without considering the cost -- er, within reason.

So I wouldn't consider various costs when deciding whether to bring liquor with me, just what is more convenient.

I WILL say that for someone wanting bourbon -- we've often had a problem even finding bourbon in Europe.  It may be different now since I haven't tried to find it in a number of years.  I never had a problem finding it on a ship, but sure did when on land.

So that might be an argument for importing your own ...

Mura

I appreciate your comments, but having grown up in Tennessee, I have to comment that Jack Daniels is not bourbon, it is Tennessee Whiskey 😀.  I have found the same in my travels in Europe and  I am very partial to JD. As a side note, being frugal throughout my life is what has enabled me to travel now as I would like, hard to break old habits.

44 minutes ago, clo said:

I wasn't trying to be mean or sarcastic. My husband Bob aka "my frugal Scotsman husband" sometimes has to rein himself in. When you're paying thousands of dollars for something does a few more really matter if you have to jump through hoops to make it happen.

That's the point, trying to avoid "hoop jumping". I am retired with time to search the internet and research upcoming travel, thus avoiding hoops before they are in my path.  Alternatively, I could be spending my time looking into Alien Abductions.  I think looking to save a few $ on an upcoming journey more productive.  In this case, I have determined the best approach and most cost effective method based on the GOOD information I received from other posters on this thread.  Thanks to all that provided the requested info.

15 hours ago, ropomo said:

Thanks for the replies.  Based on some of the responses, I think I should clarify using a liter of Jack Daniels as an example.

• I have done extensive searches on the web for Irish rates and thus far have only found calculators geared more towards importers of large quantities 
  • Iocal price in Atlanta liquor store is $34.99 plus tax
  • Price in duty free store at ATL today is $25.00 plus tax
  • Example price found online for a Dublin liquor store near the VRVB I am staying $51.11 plus any Irish tax applied
  • Buying at duty free not only cheaper than at local store, but I pick it up on the jetway and walk on the plane not having to schlep it from home (flying Delta One business class so onboard storage is not an issue).  Then place in luggage at baggage claim. Have arranged for van to take us from airport to VRVB (being met coming out of customs and dropped at door), minimizing the distance I must transport.
  • Irish duty free limit is one liter per person of legal age.  My wife and I would like to bring in one extra liter per person to last us the duration of our lengthy vacation for a total of four liters.
  • So the bottom line question is whether the duty for the extra liter each would approach the $26.11 difference x 2 for the 2 liters in excess of the duty free limit (which in my mind $52.22 is a big premium to pay for just buying it in Dublin).  Additionally, buying it in Dublin would require me to carry it from the store back to lodging.

I think what everyone may be missing about this conversation is that someone would actually buy Jack Daniels (anywhere)!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ropomo said:

I appreciate your comments, but having grown up in Tennessee, I have to comment that Jack Daniels is not bourbon, it is Tennessee Whiskey 😀.  I have found the same in my travels in Europe and  I am very partial to JD. As a side note, being frugal throughout my life is what has enabled me to travel now as I would like, hard to break old habits.

I was indeed speaking generally.  I usually have sour mash myself.  Once upon a time I was fond of Canadian Rye and then my taste changed.  These days I usually order Wild Turkey.  The thing is -- unless things have changed since I drank "bourbon" regularly, it was always hard to find any American whiskey in Europe.

Since I can no longer bear scotch (I don't care how much it costs), this always frustrated me.

Hi,

Also having a frugal husband and personally liking to be well informed may I suggest you either email

Customsinfo@revenue.ie

or call the advice line on 

+353 (0)1 877 6222. ( hope I have got the correct international code for you but please check.)

If I remember correctly most shops in Dublin will have advice ready to hand and if applicable advice on how to reclaim taxes. Certainly  here in the Uk many of our city shops have info on how to reclaim VAT for international visitors. 

Now the Uk is out of the EU we are also in the same position as you and any information you will find will become relevant to us.