specialty dining on sky princess

mlanders

Any reviews or comments about Italian or  new French/seafood specialty restaurant? Trying to decide which one  to eat at. Have been to Sabatini's before on Royal and loved  it. Have not heard any favorable reviews of any of the specialty restaurants

We enjoyed the newer Sabatini’s Trattoria menu on the Sky including their pasta trio & dessert sampler.  Service & food were great & for $25 we’d gladly go there again.  Last year on the Royal they had the original menu ($29?) and the Trattoria menu recently added a couple of our favorites from the original menu:  Deep-fried Calamari & Burrata Cheese & Tomato.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/sabatinis-trattoria/sabatinis-trattoria-main-menu.pdf

La Mer’s open location at the top of the piazza with passengers walking by wasn’t desirable to us nor was the menu.  Friends who dined there were disappointed & said they would not go again.

Taste is subjective but that’s my thoughts about those specialty restaurants & others may feel differently.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

As Astro Flyer said, taste is subjective, so please take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

I agree that La Mer's location was not great.  Not only was it a bit disconcerting to have people walking past and gawking at diners, but there was a lot of "noise" from the entertainment going on in the piazza. It was not an enjoyable experience. And, to be honest, although our service was great, I did not think the food was all that good. 

We have always enjoyed Sabatinis, and were excited for the new menu. Unfortunately, our service was very slow and poor, with multiple mix-ups, and again, I found the food surprisingly bland and poor in quality. We also enjoyed the Burrata in the past, but found it extremely runny and unappetizing this time. The exception was the pasta trio, which was quite good. We were so disappointed in the experience that we didn't even order dessert, though on our way out we did see the dessert sampler and it looked good.

We were also generally disappointed in the food in the main diningroom. Every time I ordered fish there it was so overcooked as to be inedible.  But, we did have excellent service every evening in the MDR (I know you weren't asking about that, but thought it worth mentioning).

We did not try any of the other specialty dining venues this trip.  Wish we'd going to Alfredo's and Crown Grill, as we talked with folks who dined at both and enjoyed their experiences. 

Reading the Yellow Fish blog (they are currently on Majestic Princess which has a Bistro Sur La Mer) she says that the venue is a very peaceful place to start the day. Here's a snip from her blog. The full entry including pictures of the venue can be found HERE

Today we did something a little different. We went to the French restaurant called Bistro Sur La Mer for coffee. A beautiful coffee bar there is open each morning, and the same pastries that are available in the World Fresh Marketplace and the International Cafe are served there, too. And there are walls of windows overlooking a seating area in the bump out of the Promenade Deck, and doors to that area, too. It’s a most peaceful place to start the day. 

LaMer on the Sky was out in the open and all the noise from the Piazza comes into it. We were lucky for our table for 8 in the rear of LaMer and the noise wasn't too bad. Food started out good(soup, appetizers etc). For my main course I ordered

Fish and chips. I was shocked that my fish was fish sticks, 5 little pieces. Looked like frozen Gortons out of a box. I ate two of them only. I wouldn't spend the money there again. Go to Crown Grill or Sabatinis. Worse restaurant on board a Princess ship. No ombiance at all.

On our recent January cruise on the Sky we ate at both the CG and Sabatini's.  The CG was it's usual experience that we all 5 enjoyed.  Two of us later eat at Sabatini's and although a nice atmosphere we have decided not to go back.  LaMer was to out in the open and we would not have been comfortable eating there especially with people walking through and being able to stop and look at what we were eating.  One of our complaints with the Sky is that to many of the venues are way too open and noisy.  Tried to attend an event on the photo area that was hard to follow because of some sort of dance class in the Piazza.  We were not impressed overall with the Sky compared to both the Regal and Royal.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1