PSA: Do yourself a favor and buy cancel for any reason insurance

ARandomTraveler

4 hours ago, montREALady said:

Figured. Thx.

Take a look just in case there’s a company offering something. It might cost more money but it’s worth a try. All the policies I’ve gotten have had a requirement that it be bought within 14-21 days but maybe different states offer different policies. 

7 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

While I don't claim to know or understand the NY law, I think the statement "Cancel for any reason is no longer available in New York State. " may not be completely accurate.  From what I can see, CFAR cannot be offered by an insurance company as per # 6 pointed out above.  Here is the text: " 6. An insurer may not include “Cancel for Any Reason Waiver” or “Change of Mind” coverage in its travel insurance policies because such coverage is not insurance, nor is it necessarily or properly incidental to the kinds of insurance that an insurer is authorized to write in this state.".

However the "Vacation Protection Plans" offered by the cruise lines are often a combination of insurance and non-insurance benefits.  Most if not all of the cruise lines offer CFAR to New York residents.  If you look at the certificate of coverage, under the CFAR benefit you will see wording similar to : "The following Cancel For Any Reason Waiver is provided by xxxCruiseLinexxx and is not an insurance benefit.".  It looks to me that this is one way of getting around the NY law.  If I am missing something, please let me know.

Also see post #43 for some of my pluses and minuses of these cruise line plans. 

I think that you are correct you.  I just checked Princess' plan. Our next cruise is on Princess.  You can get back 75% applied to a future cruise.  However, as far as I can tell, it is at an additional cost:

1. "Specified reasons are outlined under the Cancellation Fee Waiver section of Princess Vacation Protection which is a a non-insurance feature provided by Princess. For NY & WA residents only, Trip Cancellation benefits are underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Columbus, Ohio (NAIC #23787)."

2. Residents of NY may purchase the "Any Reason" Cancellation Enhancement feature separately from the Princess Travel Insurance Program."

As far as I can tell, you cannot add a protection plan to a Royal Carribbean booking if you live in NY state. You need to contact Aon Affinity directly.

"Royal Caribbean Travel Protection is an optional travel protection add-on to your cruise booking and is available through Royal Caribbean for residents in all states except New York. New York state residents who wish to purchase the product may visit https://travelcruisecare.com to enroll directly with Aon Affinity."

We have not considered using a cruise line's protection plan since our third cruise.  Our next cruise will be our 17th. We found that private insurance offers more for less money.  As you have stated in post 43, cruise lines' plans are lacking in some areas.  I think that the  cruise lines' protection plans are especially deficient for potential medical and evacuation expenses.

Next years cruise, or two, will be on either Royal, Celebrity or Princess.  I am hoping that the NY State law changes by then.  

Edited by Sanz

9 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Take a look just in case there’s a company offering something. It might cost more money but it’s worth a try. All the policies I’ve gotten have had a requirement that it be bought within 14-21 days but maybe different states offer different policies. 

You might be confusing a pre-existing condition waiver with CFAR coverage. I don't believe that I've seen any connection between CFAR and original payment in a third party plan. (And if you are right, then I've learned something new.)

I just purchased CFAR insurance for a TA cruise out of Rome on Celebrity.  I too am worried about the Coronavirus.  Ironically, when I was hold with one of the Insurance providers their "music" was a statement that the Coronavirus is not covered under their regular policy and suggested the CFAR.  But the plot thickens.  I spoke to my travel agent, and then with reps from both Allianz and Travel Insured on their CFAR coverage.  Allianz rep told me that even though it says their's is actually called "Cancel at ANYTIME" not reason (I missed that distinction and almost purchased it).  They have a host of "not covered" reasons and a "tiered" system (80% for this reason vs 70% for that reason...but doesn't have that list of criteria available).  So, spoke to the Travel Insured rep, who told me there's is a true CFAR, BUT, read the fine print.  1) If the "reason" you cancel is because of one of the listed "exclusions" at the end of the contract/plan, then it's denied (so CFAR isn't really CFAR is the reason is excluded from coverage) and  2) The Coronavirus is already been identified so not covered and wouldn't be covered under the CFAR (yes, it's very confusing).  She joked that the reason "it's going to be raining and I've decided not to go" would be approved but stating the reason was because of anything under "Exclusions" (like epidemic or injured while bungee jumping) would not.  I think CFAR is well worth it for me (everyone's different) but take heed on what you declare as your reason if you have to cancel.  I've never had to use it but I'm going to post a question for advice from anyone who actually has done so and their experience (good or bad).  Good luck everyone.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sanz said:

I think that you are correct you.  I just checked Princess' plan. Our next cruise is on Princess.  You can get back 75% applied to a future cruise.  However, as far as I can tell, it is at an additional cost:

1. "Specified reasons are outlined under the Cancellation Fee Waiver section of Princess Vacation Protection which is a a non-insurance feature provided by Princess. For NY & WA residents only, Trip Cancellation benefits are underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Columbus, Ohio (NAIC #23787)."

2. Residents of NY may purchase the "Any Reason" Cancellation Enhancement feature separately from the Princess Travel Insurance Program."

As far as I can tell, you cannot add a protection plan to a Royal Carribbean booking if you live in NY state. You need to contact Aon Affinity directly.

"Royal Caribbean Travel Protection is an optional travel protection add-on to your cruise booking and is available through Royal Caribbean for residents in all states except New York. New York state residents who wish to purchase the product may visit https://travelcruisecare.com to enroll directly with Aon Affinity."

We have not considered using a cruise line's protection plan since our third cruise.  Our next cruise will be our 17th. We found that private insurance offers more for less money.  As you have stated in post 43, cruise lines' plans are lacking in some areas.  I think that the  cruise lines' protection plans are especially deficient for potential medical and evacuation expenses.

It looks like I am reading some of the same things you are and interpreting them differently.  For both Princess and Royal Caribbean, my interpretation is:

1. A New York resident can purchase the cruise line's vacation protection plan including the CFAR provisions, but the underwriter for the CFAR provisions is different from other states.  (in other states this benefit is provided by the cruise line)
  2. A New York resident can purchase just the CFAR benefits without buying the entire plan. 

Here is what I am looking at:

Princess

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/PCT_Plt_Landing.html is Princess' Platinum Vacation Protection Page. The wording on the page says "For New York residents, the Cancellation Fee Waiver can be purchased separate from the Travel Insurance benefits". From that page, you can download the entire plan description specific for New York.  Page 1 of document describes the CFAR provisions for a NY resident.  It also states "Notice to New York residents: The Princess Cancel For Any Reason Travel Credit Feature may be purchased separately from the Princess Travel Insurance Program".  My interpretation is a NY resident gets the CFAR provisions if they purchase the plan, but they also have the option to separately purchase just the CFAR coverage.  There is no mention of cost.  The Princess Standard Plan has similar wording. 

Royal Caribbean

I could not find the exact wording you posted.  Maybe it is more recent that what I have? That said, here is the link I have to Royal Caribbean's Travel Protection Plan page: https://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/Royal.  It says "Notice to Minnesota, Missouri and New York residents only: Trip Cancellation benefits are underwritten by Arch Insurance Company. In addition, Cancel for Any Reason credits can be purchased separate from the Travel Insurance Benefits".  From that page, you can download the entire plan description specific for New York. Page 2 of document describes the CFAR provisions for a NY resident.  It also states "Notice to Minnesota, Missouri and New York residents only: Trip Cancellation benefits are underwritten by Arch Insurance Company. In addition, Cancel for Any Reason credits can be purchased separate from the Travel Insurance Benefits." My interpretation here is the same as Princess.

So, I am still not sure why a NY resident cannot purchase the entire plan from either Princess or Royal Caribbean and not get the CFAR benefits.  Have you talked with either company and been given different information?  I am not a NY resident, and I have not made any calls.

I definitely agree that cruise line plans are not good for many people.  But if you have other medical and evac coverage, and are primarily interested in cruise CFAR, they are worth a look.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:09 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

I know this may turn into a heated topic for seasoned travelers, but in an effort to help inform new people who may not know about this option, I’d like to make a PSA about buying cancel for any reason insurance.

For those of you who don’t know about this, there is an “add on” you can purchase with your travel insurance that will give you additional protections in the event something comes up that makes you not want to take the vacation you paid for, but which doesn’t qualify for a refund and isn’t covered under a qualified reason with regular travel insurance. It’s called cancel-for-any-reason-insurance.

You have to specifically select this option when searching for a travel insurance option, and you have to buy it within 14 (or sometimes 21) days of making deposits on anything you want covered. Also know that it does not cover 100% of your losses, but generally covers 75%, and there will also be other stipulations (for example the policy may not allow you to cancel if you’re within 2 days of your trip, or, if you’ve already left for your vacation, it may require you stay on the vacation for 2 days before coming home early and asking for a refund), BUT, for a vacation that may be costing you $2000, $5,000 or even $10,000, getting 75% of that back can be better than getting zero. Everyone’s threshold for loss is different and nobody is wrong, but just make sure you know your options so you have the ability to make that choice for yourself.

As a cautionary tale, read through old threads about hurricane Maria and all the disappointment people went through when they realized their cruises were still sailing despite the fact that a hurricane had completely ruined many of the islands they were sailing to, including the home port of Puerto Rico, where many travelers didn’t feel safe flying into. A lot of people lost money because they didn’t have insurance and their cruises weren’t cancelled.

I bring this up because I currently have a cruise booked in Asia. Thankfully it’s not until summer and I also bought cancel for any reason insurance so if for some reason I don’t want to go come summer, I can wipe my hands of it with very little financial loss. But the same panic is taking over the Asia cruising board as was happening during hurricane Maria, with cruisers complaining about the unfairness of not being able to get refunds on their cruises despite the coronavirus epidemic.

The one thing that would have saved all these people in these scenarios the headache? Cancel for any reason insurance. I’m not saying everyone needs to buy this. I’m not even saying everyone needs travel insurance at all. But I am saying that you could potentially be doing yourself a major favor by buying it, and unless you can honestly say that you wouldn’t mind if you lost the cost of your non-refundable trip expenses in the event that you choose not to take a trip for whatever reason, you should at least look into the insurance.

For those of you who didn’t know it existed or who assumed the cruise lines would refund your money in the event that a hurricane destroys the island you’re headed to, or an unknown virus starts spreading through a population, don’t be so sure. Take it upon yourself to cover your losses, or don’t, but make it a choice you consciously make before it’s too late.

Based on recommendations I’ve seen on these boards for many years, I use insure my trip dot com. Cancel for any reason won’t be a default option when you search for insurance, so make sure you go to the section where you can select options and check the box that says “cancel for any reason.” It will increase the cost of the insurance and it will decrease the number of policies you can choose from, but in my experience the cost difference isn’t that big. To insure the non-refundable portions of my trip to Asia plus the cruise we’ll take while we’re there, it only cost me $251 total for the 2 of us. There are factors that change the price (your age, your destination, the dollar amount you want to insure etc), but it’s worth checking in my opinion.

Hi ARandomTraveler,

You laid this out very well.

i hope you don't mind that I'm adding a little more to what you wrote by explaining more details of how the Cancel For Any Reason coverage that an insurance company offers works .

All plans require:
- You insure 100% of your expected prepaid non-refundable trip costs if you got hit by a cement truck on the day you were leaving for your trip and had to cancel at the last minute. There will be no coverage available under the Cancel For Any Reason Benefit if you insure an amount less than your total prepaid trip costs that are non-refundable on your Departure Date.
- You are not disabled from travel at the time you pay your premium
- You insure the entire length of your trip
- You cancel your Trip more than two calendar days or forty-eight hours (companies have different deadlines) before you leave home

In addition, “Cancel For Any Reason” is just that – cancelling your entire trip for a reason that is normally not covered (e.g., changing your mind). It’s not “Delay For Any Reason”, nor is it “Change Your Travel Arrangements For Any Reason”.

If you buy a Pre-Departure Waiver Plan from a travel supplier, then, the reason you are cancelling will determine how you are reimbursed.

You will either get a check in US Dollars or non-transferable Partial Cruise / Tour Credits that have to be used often within one year.

What's important to know is the credits are not insurable when you use them for the second trip, so don’t cancel that second trip or else you will lose everything.

In addition, hat is commonly know as a “pre-departure waiver / protection” plan is mostly a promise to pay on the part of the cruise line, tour operator or travel supplier for the trip cancellation and trip interruption benefits. These plans can include elements of insurance to pay claims for trip delays, accident and sickness medical benefits, evacuation and/or baggage protection.

I hope this makes sense,

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 3:41 PM, klfrodo said:

Interesting the differing prices quoted with all things being the same between https://www.insuremytrip.com/ and https://tripinsurancestore.com/

Travel dates the same, Deposit date the same, traveler ages the same, destination the same, trip cost per person the same, residency the same,,,, policy prices different. Some higher, some lower.

Hi Klfrodo,

If they are the exact same plans, the prices should be exactly the same (unless there's a programming error).

Can you tell me which plans you found with different prices for each website? Since this might invove personal info, you may email me the trip parameters and I'll figure it out for you.

Steve Dasseos

Question: I just book a cruise for a year from now and made a deposit. How can I buy trip insurance for my total expenses when I can't even buy airfare or hotel yet, so I don't know what my total costs are? Can I just make a "best guess" of future expenses?

thanks!

Edited by cheezz

44 minutes ago, cheezz said:

Question: I just book a cruise for a year from now and made a deposit. How can I buy trip insurance for my total expenses when I can't even buy airfare or hotel yet, so I don't know what my total costs are? Can I just make a "best guess" of future expenses?

thanks!

Good question. I’m not sure. Usually hotels are refundable as long as you cancel 48 hours in advance, unless you buy a discounted non-refundable room or buy through a 3rd party travel site like Expedia that makes you pay upfront. My guess is that you would just buy 2 separate policies. The cost of the insurance is based on the total value that you are insuring so in the end the total of 2 smaller policies will probably be pretty close to the total of one larger policy.

I don’t think you can estimate the cost of future expenses because if you were to make a claim on them they will ask for proof that you paid the deposit within 14 days of buying the insurance, and if you didn’t, they won’t pay. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

5 hours ago, cheezz said:

thanks!

You can buy insurance for what you have currently paid

For example

You make a deposit...… select your insurance and pay for coverage of that amount.

Buy airfare,,,,, call the insurance company, tell them you just bought air and need to include it,,,, pay up

Pay off the cruise,,,, call the insurance company and tell them and pay some more.

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

You can buy insurance for what you have currently paid

For example

You make a deposit...… select your insurance and pay for coverage of that amount.

Buy airfare,,,,, call the insurance company, tell them you just bought air and need to include it,,,, pay up

Pay off the cruise,,,, call the insurance company and tell them and pay some more.

I’d read the terms of the insurance to make sure. My particular cancel for any reason policy specifically stated that anything I was insuring had to be either paid in full or at least have a deposit made within 14 days of purchasing the insurance. If you make a deposit, you include the full dollar amount for that item in the insurance policy, even though you only paid a deposit. Anything booked outside of that 14 day timeframe cannot be included in the insurance. It was very specific about that. 

On 2/5/2020 at 10:55 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

I’d read the terms of the insurance to make sure. My particular cancel for any reason policy specifically stated that anything I was insuring had to be either paid in full or at least have a deposit made within 14 days of purchasing the insurance. If you make a deposit, you include the full dollar amount for that item in the insurance policy, even though you only paid a deposit. Anything booked outside of that 14 day timeframe cannot be included in the insurance. It was very specific about that. 

Just curious, what insurance? what state?

On 1/30/2020 at 7:37 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

Yes, the $251 is the total cost for 2 people to cover about $4500 of the trip.

But what did it actually cover? Just FCAR? That cost seems awfully low for anything else. We have never gotten FCAR, but we do get very good health/medical, evacuation, interruption,  etc, trip insurance. We're in our 70s and if something serious health-wise occurred our expenses would be very high. We have never considered adding FCAR because we figured we'd likely not have to cancel for any reason except a serious medical reason pre-cruise, which would be covered. However, a recent serious illness in the family (our adult daughter) caused us to cancel a cruise this month. I was able to cancel with Princess cruise line early enough to get a decent (75%) refund. However, having to cancel that close to the sail date for anything other than our health was an eye-opener.

So, I wonder how much it will cost, approximately, to add an FCAR rider to our usual very good medical/trip interruption, etc insurance.  Any one know? I estimate it would add at least $100 pp to our regular insurance. For instance, the policy we had for the recent cruise cost was about $300 for a $5000, 10 day trip. Right now that extra $200 would have been money well spent. 😎

I'll be researching that soon, as we have another cruise booked January 2021. We usually get insurance soon after booking, but this time we are holding off since we do not yet know about my daughter's recovery, and how much we will need to care for her.

On 2/3/2020 at 4:35 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

You won’t be able to get cancel for any reason insurance if you buy it outside the first 14 days you put down your deposit, but you should be able to get regular insurance.

That never makes sense to me. I usually book cruises 12-18 months in advance, and I simply do not know the total cost of the trip yet (cruise cost yes, airlines, hotels, etc no). So I have to make an educated guess of my total trip cost and hope I'm not under-insured. Either that or just go with what I know within those 14 days.

It's also kind of nuts: I could cancel my cruise and re-book, then get trip insurance "NLT 14 days after my booking", but I wouldn't do that; I think that's unethical if not illegal.

So for our cruise scheduled in 11 months, I have yet to get insurance due to my adult daughter's health and recovery plan. There is a chance that we will not be able to cruise at all. At the very latest I'd get medical/evacuation insurance on or before final payment day of course....but I don't know how that will work with their so-called "prior medical conditions". (is there anyone who had no "prior health conditions" over the age of 30?>). It's getting so nuts I'm beginning to think maybe it's better to just self insure. In 40+ cruises we have only had to cancel two times; once for Hurricane Irene a few years ago (got all our costs refunded) and a recent cruise where we got 50% back (Princess) due to canceling about 40 days prior to sail date. Just doing the math, we've paid more for insurance that we've had refunded. For the trip we canceled recently, we had did not have FCAR, and canceling due to my daughter's health was not covered in our plan. So we were very grateful for Princess' 50% refund.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

But what did it actually cover? Just FCAR? That cost seems awfully low for anything else. We have never gotten FCAR, but we do get very good health/medical, evacuation, interruption,  etc, trip insurance. We're in our 70s and if something serious health-wise occurred our expenses would be very high. We have never considered adding FCAR because we figured we'd likely not have to cancel for any reason except a serious medical reason pre-cruise, which would be covered. However, a recent serious illness in the family (our adult daughter) caused us to cancel a cruise this month. I was able to cancel with Princess cruise line early enough to get a decent (50%) refund. However, having to cancel that close to the sail date for anything other than our health was an eye-opener.

So, I wonder how much it will cost, approximately, to add an FCAR rider to our usual very good medical/trip interruption, etc insurance.  Any one know? I estimate it would add at least $100 pp to our regular insurance. For instance, the policy we had for the recent cruise cost was about $300 for a $5000, 10 day trip. Right now that extra $200 would have been money well spent. 😎

I'll be researching that soon, as we have another cruise booked January 2021. We usually get insurance soon after booking, but this time we are holding off since we do not yet know about my daughter's recovery, and how much we will need to care for her.

Edited by PaperSniper4

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

But what did it actually cover? Just FCAR? That cost seems awfully low for anything else. We have never gotten FCAR, but we do get very good health/medical, evacuation, interruption,  etc, trip insurance. We're in our 70s and if something serious health-wise occurred our expenses would be very high. We have never considered adding FCAR because we figured we'd likely not have to cancel for any reason except a serious medical reason pre-cruise, which would be covered. However, a recent serious illness in the family (our adult daughter) caused us to cancel a cruise this month. I was able to cancel with Princess cruise line early enough to get a decent (75%) refund. However, having to cancel that close to the sail date for anything other than our health was an eye-opener.

It covers quite a bit, even some things I’d never thought of. It gives me all the emergency medical coverage and evacuation insurance, as well as “non-emergency” medical evacuation. It also give me “trip interruption for any reason” which would allow me to start my vacation, and then change my mind and decide to do home early and get a portion of my money back. It gives me all the usual things like baggage loss, baggage delay, trip delay, missed connection, sports rental equipment coverage (i.e jet skis). 

I’ve attached a “schedule of benefits” from my policy. It doesn’t give all the descriptions but you can see a breakdown of what it gives me.

215855D6-2F58-4A13-941F-F3AEA7E470F1.png

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

That never makes sense to me. I usually book cruises 12-18 months in advance, and I simply do not know the total cost of the trip yet (cruise cost yes, airlines, hotels, etc no). So I have to make an educated guess of my total trip cost and hope I'm not under-insured. Either that or just go with what I know within those 14 days.

It's also kind of nuts: I could cancel my cruise and re-book, then get trip insurance "NLT 14 days after my booking", but I wouldn't do that; I think that's unethical if not illegal.

So for our cruise scheduled in 11 months, I have yet to get insurance due to my adult daughter's health and recovery plan. There is a chance that we will not be able to cruise at all. At the very latest I'd get medical/evacuation insurance on or before final payment day of course....but I don't know how that will work with their so-called "prior medical conditions". (is there anyone who had no "prior health conditions" over the age of 30?>). It's getting so nuts I'm beginning to think maybe it's better to just self insure. In 40+ cruises we have only had to cancel two times; once for Hurricane Irene a few years ago (got all our costs refunded) and a recent cruise where we got 50% back (Princess) due to canceling about 40 days prior to sail date. Just doing the math, we've paid more for insurance that we've had refunded. For the trip we canceled recently, we had did not have FCAR, and canceling due to my daughter's health was not covered in our plan. So we were very grateful for Princess' 50% refund.

I don’t like that 14 day requirement either. The only way I can think to get around it is to buy 1 policy for the cruise, then buy another policy for the airfare etc when you book that later on. It might not be cost effective to do it that way, I’m not sure.

For me, the added cost of CFAR was about $60/person, however, one of the insured is under the age of 20 which I think brought my cost down a lot because I’m nowhere close to 20 myself. Several things can change the cost of insurance, age being one, your destination, the cost of the vacation you’re insuring etc. I was able to choose from 5 policies, there were 2 policies cheaper than mine and. 2 more expensive. 

11 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

It covers quite a bit, even some things I’d never thought of. It gives me all the emergency medical coverage and evacuation insurance, as well as “non-emergency” medical evacuation. It also give me “trip interruption for any reason” which would allow me to start my vacation, and then change my mind and decide to do home early and get a portion of my money back. It gives me all the usual things like baggage loss, baggage delay, trip delay, missed connection, sports rental equipment coverage (i.e jet skis). 

I’ve attached a “schedule of benefits” from my policy. It doesn’t give all the descriptions but you can see a breakdown of what it gives me.

Gosh, that coverage does sound very good. Which insurance company did you use? I'll have to check them out. You probably listed that in prior pages but I'm too lazy to re-read them.......😯

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

...For me, the added cost of CFAR was about $60/person, however, one of the insured is under the age of 20 which I think brought my cost down a lot because I’m nowhere close to 20 myself. Several things can change the cost of insurance, age being one, your destination, the cost of the vacation you’re insuring etc. I was able to choose from 5 policies, there were 2 policies cheaper than mine and. 2 more expensive. 

I dunno, FCAR might be higher for the young uns? After all, they have been known to be somewhat carefree with their schedules sometime. <g> But your posts give me good reference where to look for our next insurance. I suppose I am a little irritated that the insurance I had for the trip we recently canceled does not cover more, but the cause for the cancellation was was totally unanticipated; like many are I suppose. But FCAR would have likely paid in our case (daughter seriously ill 6 weeks prior to our cruise - daughter was not scheduled to be on it).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Gosh, that coverage does sound very good. Which insurance company did you use? I'll have to check them out. You probably listed that in prior pages but I'm too lazy to re-read them.......😯

Thanks for posting.

I bought a plan on “insure my trip dot com” from a company called IMG, the plan was “I travel Insured LX”