No $32000 refund for you

tallnthensome

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

The article linked only says the ship is supposed to stop in Hong Kong, not that it is embarking/disembarking there. Do we know which specific sailing this is? It's still possible that the port would be skipped. I assume NCL wouldn't make that call until they had to.

The article I saw was in Newsweek and said the ship departs in the next few days. I am thinking it is the one way Jade from Singapore to Hong Kong, but I don't know. The news reports are often 

Sensationalized and inaccurate.

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Sure you do, many cruiselines operating from mainland China have cancelled cruises in an adundence of caution. I haven't followed closely, but last week Holland America was also being foolishly rigid with guests. Many cruiselines and airlines have relaxed the similar terms and conditions that NCL refuses to relax. Again, I don't know the sail date, but if it is in February 2020, it is the prudent thing to do given the uncertainty of the virus. Hong Kong is not part of mainland china, but in order to get to Hong Kong, many guests may be required to pass through mainland China.

All the cruises cancelled were from mainland China - they're not canceling their cruises that are elsewhere so NCL isn't differing from this. Considering the family is from Hawaii they have a lot greater odds that their flight to Singapore or Hong Kong does not go through China. In fact a quick google shows almost all the flights to Hong Kong or Singapore from Hawaii either go through South Korea or Japan. There's a couple through Taiwan (pretty sure that doesn't count as mainland) and if you want to layover in China for that itinerary you had to really want to as the ones I saw all required booking tickets on two different airlines.

I present the latest news from CNN.com for your consideration. Thank you.

The latest: The coronavirus outbreak has killed at least 305 people and infected more than 14,300 globally, as it continues to spread beyond China. One person outside mainland China, a man in the Philippines, has died.

Global spread: The virus has been confirmed in more than 25 countries and territories since it was first detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December. Countries are now sending planes to evacuate their citizens from the infection zone, and imposing travel bans or restrictions on mainland China.

Race to contain: Nearly 60 million people are under lockdown in Chinese cities as international researchers race to develop a vaccine and halt its spread.

This is amazing.  I was unaware that there are so many lawyers on this thread to give expert advise on cruise insurance.  We need more witnesses.   But the funny thing is that everyone is just guessing.   Just another learning experience to all.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jskinsd said:

This is amazing.  I was unaware that there are so many lawyers on this thread to give expert advise on cruise insurance.  We need more witnesses.   But the funny thing is that everyone is just guessing.   Just another learning experience to all.

Yeah, it really is. We are all lawyered up here. Common sense, prudence, and care are out the window. The rule of law, contracts, terms and conditions reign supreme to the exclusion of care concern and common sense. How reckless and careless. 👍

6 minutes ago, blcruising said:

I present the latest news from CNN.com for your consideration. Thank you.

The latest: The coronavirus outbreak has killed at least 305 people and infected more than 14,300 globally, as it continues to spread beyond China. One person outside mainland China, a man in the Philippines, has died.

Global spread: The virus has been confirmed in more than 25 countries and territories since it was first detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December. Countries are now sending planes to evacuate their citizens from the infection zone, and imposing travel bans or restrictions on mainland China.

Race to contain: Nearly 60 million people are under lockdown in Chinese cities as international researchers race to develop a vaccine and halt its spread.

And yet the "news" has barely covered the fact that this flu season in the United States over 15 million citizens have contracted the seasonal flu with over EIGHT THOUSAND fatalities.

That seems odd, doesn't it?

• Like 6

Just now, ColeThornton said:

And yet the "news" has barely covered the fact that this flu season in the United States over 15 million citizens have contracted the seasonal flu with over EIGHT THOUSAND fatalities.

That seems odd, doesn't it?

Very much so.

I hope we find out all the facts.  I do believe the insurance must not be the cancel any reason NCL insurance (75% or 90%).  

The other big expense is the cost of the flights.  Unless they are business class:first, flights are very difficult to cancel as well. Can usually get a credit but at a cost. 

47 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Yeah, it really is. We are all lawyered up here. Common sense, prudence, and care are out the window. The rule of law, contracts, terms and conditions reign supreme to the exclusion of care concern and common sense. How reckless and careless. 👍

And with all of the unknowns you personally know enough to second guess people that have much more information than you do (i.e. the "evil" corporations).

Just now, sparks1093 said:

And with all of the unknowns you personally know enough to second guess people that have much more information than you do (i.e. the "evil" corporations).

Not at all. I don't have full information. Just generally a compassionate, caring person. What I know is that I am very thankful that I do not have travel booked to Asia at this time. It is unfortunate that NCL is not being more flexible with passengers scheduled to travel to that region in the near future.

1 minute ago, blcruising said:

Not at all. I don't have full information. Just generally a compassionate, caring person. What I know is that I am very thankful that I do not have travel booked to Asia at this time. It is unfortunate that NCL is not being more flexible with passengers scheduled to travel to that region in the near future.

I am also compassionate and caring but I'm not going to insist that a cruise line do something when I've only one side of the story, and a flawed one at that. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, _Rick_ said:

"According to Morrison, she purchased trip insurance from Norwegian, but they told her it doesn’t cover epidemics."

Sounds like some first class travel insurance they're peddling.  

22 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

The thread topic was the loss of $32K. Which KHON news did a very poor job at fact checking the traveler’s claims. 

The traveler gets:

100% cash refund of shore ex (Cited in article) 

100% cash refund of any other pre-paid items (dining and beverage grats, prepaid DSC, Prepaid upgrades, etc)

100% cash refund of port taxes and fees

75% or 90% future cruise credit for cruise fare lost as penalty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherelliott/2020/02/02/does-travel-insurance-cover-the-coronavirus/?ss=forbes-travel#c7186ab4d64a

If that's not reputable enough for you then googling would produce several other options. So no, not everyone is "just guessing". 

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Good to know!! Let common sense be your guide.

Common sense would be getting the correct insurance that covers cancellation for any reason.  Any insurance like home, health, dental,  car and cruise are all different.  You just have to read the fine print.

Just now, jskinsd said:

Common sense would be getting the correct insurance that covers cancellation for any reason.  Any insurance like home, health, dental,  car and cruise are all different.  You just have to read the fine print.

Thanks for sharing!!

5 hours ago, blcruising said:

.....if someone is concerned about a risk to their health or is unable to reach Hong Kong due to flight cancellations/schedule, they ought to be given some latitude....maybe a future credit, valid for a year or two.

Why?? If flights are booked as part of a cruise then it is the cruiselines' responsibility to work the routes out, otherwise it is your own responsibility....and rightly so, IMHO!

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't see this as reflecting negatively on NCL at all. This was the passengers' choice. If they truly did purchase insurance through NCL, then they should receive a future cruise credit for a substantial amount. If they purchased some other travel insurance that doesn't cover their CHOICE to not sail, then that is on them. Something like 50,000 people die of the fly every year. If I chose to cancel a previously booked cruise during flu season, because I suddenly become paranoid about catching the flu, that's on me, not the cruise line.

Very well said, I couldn't have expressed my thoughts any better than that!

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Why?? If flights are booked as part of a cruise then it is the cruiselines' responsibility to work the routes out, otherwise it is your own responsibility....and rightly so, IMHO!

I've already answered this, but I'll try again.

Because that is what solid, reputable businesses do in situations like this. Abandon the who has legal responsibility, and just step and take care of your people.

4 minutes ago, blcruising said:

I've already answered this, but I'll try again.

Because that is what solid, reputable businesses do in situations like this. Abandon the who has legal responsibility, and just step and take care of your people.

You are failing to take account of the fact that the cancellation was based on a whim, as in 'I do not now want to cruise to HK'! There is no organisation, WHO or otherwise advising not to travel to HK on a cruise ship. If that position changes, then it's a new ball game.....also interesting that you appear to be amongst a minority in the view you are promoting. 😉

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Well, she is still fighting. I applaud her conviction. Her latest plan is to write a letter to Frank Del Rio. That ought to get her a response. Yeah, the same response as talking to a wall.

http://travelnews.vip/index.php/2020/02/08/hawaii-coronavirus-sufferer-fights-norwegian-cruise-line/

Hard to see the reason for applause here.

Go back to the beginning for the WHY behind the cruise cancellation.

"That’s the reason why one family is canceling their cruise vacation, which they booked a year ago, long before the coronavirus outbreak. Since the boat is scheduled to stop in Hong Kong, they decided that it was better to play it safe."

Norwegian has since changed the itinerary. The cruise no longer stops in Hong Kong. The reason for cancelling no longer exists. No need to applaud someone for fighting for something without a valid reason behind it. Premature cancellation is at the risk of the cruiser.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Hard to see the reason for applause here.

Go back to the beginning for the WHY behind the cruise cancellation.

"That’s the reason why one family is canceling their cruise vacation, which they booked a year ago, long before the coronavirus outbreak. Since the boat is scheduled to stop in Hong Kong, they decided that it was better to play it safe."

Norwegian has since changed the itinerary. The cruise no longer stops in Hong Kong. The reason for cancelling no longer exists. No need to applaud someone for fighting for something without a valid reason behind it. Premature cancellation is at the risk of the cruiser.

Thanks for the legal explanation, again. She took the reasonable, prudent, and practical steps that were necessary to insure the safety of her and her family. Now she is continuing to call out the greedy, careless, and reckless behavior of a company that continues to rigidly cling to the terms and conditions of their one sided contract while continuing to expose its passengers and crew to an increased risk of exposure to the virus. For that, she gets my applause. In fact, I am increasing to a standing ovation.