16 day Antarctica & Cape Horn Cruise

Rickster50

3 minutes ago, Rickster50 said:

Hi All,

We are thinking of doing the 16 day Antarctica & Cape Horn cruise on Jan 3, 2021 on board the Coral Princess.

I was wondering whether any of you folks here have done that cruise, and if so, how was it?

Cheers

Rick 

I am on the coral princess doing that cruise right now.     ( I’ve done 30) Go for it.  It had been my favorite cruise so far.   Most beautiful places I’ve ever seen

i don’t think anyone on ship had been disappointed 

Edited by lois1112

We did the Dec 20, 2019 thru Jan 5, 2020 cruise. It was an amazing, wonderful experience. Best cruise we've taken ( and we've taken many). I did a live-ish review on this Princess forum. 

Edited by erber

We did the 1/5-1/21 cruise. Antarctica was incredible to see and pictures, no matter how great, won’t do it justice.

Keep in mind things change quickly down there and there is no guarantee of what you will see or for how long. We were pretty disappointed, but understanding, of losing two days in Antarctica. Although we saw some highlights, they were extremely rushed and we did not have the time available to explore new areas like the cruises before us and after us did.

Overall, the cruise was mostly enjoyable but far from our best. If I were to visit this region again, I’d choose an expedition ship that can make a landing on the continent and would skip the mass market cruise lines only doing a drive-by.

Edited by xDisconnections

I was also on the 1/5 cruise.  The scenery and wildlife are amazing.  I am glad I went.  However, it is an expensive trip and a long flight from the US.  One thing to be aware of is that there is often times bad weather that can impact your cruise, especially fog, which can make it impossible to see some of the things you were hoping to see.  We had a mix of good and bad weather.  Stanley Falkland Islands is also a highlight of the trip because there are many excursions to see penguins up close.  However, due to wind, that port is often missed.  So, it might be wise to consider those things before you make your final decision.  

59 minutes ago, Rickster50 said:

Many thanks for all the replies so far....they are much appreciated.

I guess my main question would be is there a particular month to go on this cruise or is it a case of "Pot Luck"?

Thanks

Rick

Princess only has three cruises remaining to Antarctica - one in December 2020 and two in January 2021.  They cruise in the summer months in Antarctica which is very limited.  And after next year, that's it for the cruise lines going down there due to the new rules dictating the type of ships that can sail Antarctica.  Your only choice after that will be expedition or other luxury lines with smaller ships that meet the new guidelines so it will get a lot more expensive when there are no longer "drive by" options.  On the other hand you would be able to actually land on the continent which would be a very interesting thing to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

And after next year, that's it for the cruise lines going down there due to the new rules dictating the type of ships that can sail Antarctica.  Your only choice after that will be expedition or other luxury lines with smaller ships that meet the new guidelines so it will get a lot more expensive when there are no longer "drive by" options. 

What's the options after 2021? Would Pacific Princess or the smaller HAL ship qualify?

I remember Princess stopped going to Antarctica for almost 10 years until last year. Is it because  the rule changed? But the rule will change again next year?

16 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

What's the options after 2021? Would Pacific Princess or the smaller HAL ship qualify?

I remember Princess stopped going to Antarctica for almost 10 years until last year. Is it because  the rule changed? But the rule will change again next year?

No for Pacific Princess and HAL.  This thread explains the situation 

• Thanks 1