? About using a travel agent with Royal

I have never used a travel agent for Royal. I know that with a Disney cruise the price of the cruise never changes between agents it is just what extras such as OBC and stuff that differs

Is that the same with Royal? I see on here how people get like 10% obc using agents but I don’t have an agent and not sure how to find a good online one. I did notice after getting 2 quotes that not only are the OBC different but the prices they quoted me are different(a few hundred less than Royals) Is this normal or is it bc they didn’t list a fee in there or something?

Some travel agents hold group space on some sailings and can offer cheaper prices.  Some TA's will give OBC as well  Agencies differ so you would have to check on their fees and try to find one that has no change or cancellation fees

• Like 1

You usually get a better deal with an online cruise agency. In some cases some online agents give up some of their commission to seal the deal. When you contact Royal Caribbean directly you get the price the agent pulls up on the computer. Most online agents will throw in some onboard credit or a cheap bottle of wine. I’m now in the process of setting up a family cruise to Bermuda. So far in my research the online agencies are giving me a better price and better perks. I will personally book the trip for my immediate family and then pass on the information to the rest of my family and friends. If they decide to book the cruise great, if they don’t I go with my wife and son.

Edited by Corby114

For a Booking a Boardwalk Balcony Cabin, one of the on-line Agencies gave us free gratuities and $50 OBC,  in Addition to Royal's $75 OBC and free sodas + JR's meal  (which they later switched to $50 OBC). They seem to offer periodically.  This likely only applies to the pricier cabins.  Ken

The base price is the same whether you call Royal, book on the website, use a travel agent, or use one of the big box online agencies. Others have covered it pretty well, but where you might see some price differences come from:

1) Group space. Depending on the travel agency's contract with Royal, they can hold from 8-50+ rooms at a special discounted group rate. This price is set and doesn't change (to allow the agents to advertise their space) which means while it can be lower than the list price, it can sometimes be higher as well. Some groups qualify for GAP points (Group Amenity Program) which usually give around $50 per stateroom in OBC.

The total number of rooms per sailing available at a group rate is limited, so if multiple agencies all book groups for the same sailing, other agencies may be locked out of group rates for that particular sailing.

2) Travel agents can give some of their commission as gifts or OBC. The total they can give is limited by Royal to 10% of the cost, and legally they can't give cash or cash equivalent (except OBC) unless they have a special allowance in their contract. So as an example, let's say your cruise is $2,000 + $200 in taxes and fees. The travel agent earns say 15% in commission, they will get paid $2000*.15 = $300. They can give you gifts or OBC up to a max of $200, paid out of their commission (so you get $200 OBC and the agent is paid $100)

@awestover89 Do you find using online travel agencies reduces the level of customer service pre-cruise (changes, cancellations, spam, etc.)?  With the exception of the person on Royal’s end being clueless about specific questions, I have always found that making changes and upgrades were far smoother directly with the provider (the cruise line in this case). 

1 hour ago, jakeil7 said:

@awestover89 Do you find using online travel agencies reduces the level of customer service pre-cruise (changes, cancellations, spam, etc.)?  With the exception of the person on Royal’s end being clueless about specific questions, I have always found that making changes and upgrades were far smoother directly with the provider (the cruise line in this case). 

My personal experience (and it is biased) is that the big box online agencies have terrible customer service, but they often give the best perks. They sell millions of cruises so they can afford to take a hefty hit to their commission, but then they are very unperceptive to requests like price changes, room changes (except upgrades), cancellations, etc.

A good smaller travel agent is my preference; generally they might give some additional perks, but their customer service is usually much better, and they tend to be more receptive to making changes.

I used to feel that way but now with more customer service being farmed out of the US don't find it easy making changes like it used to be a couple of years ago

Forget about the 'online' agencies.  Find a small TA.  Mine actually works from home.  She's been in the business over 30 years.  She has two employees, all of whom know me by my first name.  She gives 8% discount or 8% OBC, your choice.  She has cruised on all the major lines.  She and her employees provide service far superior to anything you'll get from one of the onlines or from the cruise line itself.  I can't share her name but I did find her by reading posts here on cruise critic.  Occasionally, things slip out.  I would also suggest talking to people on your next cruise.  But, remember this, the discounts and OBC are a percentage of the fare.  You're not going to save a bunch on seven days in an inside cabin.  Book two weeks in a suite and the savings are considerable.

If I have changes to make, I just send her an email and things happen.  A day or two later, I'll get a revised invoice.

18 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

Ah, if only I had the time 🙂. Still, you find the local TA gives you equivalent deals to the RCCL website?

I don't  use a local TA.  I live in North Alabama and she's located in PA.  I've never met her and probably never will.  She was highly recommended by a well known poster.  No regrets.

She passes through all the perks offered by the cruise line.  Then she offers an 8 to 10% discount on top of the cruise line.  

Edited by RocketMan275