Fly in day of, or day before?

fendersrule

On 3/20/2020 at 4:59 AM, cruizergal70 said:

I'm not saying that but what if I was? 

The key motivations for most people in this thread are worry, stress, and anxiety.  I don't allow those thing to influence my decision making.

Clo, from what I understand,  you are flying in from a different country and using connecting flights. In that case, it makes sense to fly in a day early. I did the same thing when I flew to Europe to board a ship.

My domestic flights are direct flights with 90 minutes in the air. Flying in the morning of embarkation is fine for me.

Plus facts.  Even pilots have recommended flying in a day early.  Anyone who has flown a lot has experience with delayed and cancelled flights.  It happens all of the time.  Nearly every single time I fly somewhere, more often than not one of my flights does not leave on time during my trip.  People warn others because they know it happens and can cost someone a cruise.  Even direct flights can be cancelled and because of overbooking a person may not be able to be added to another flight that morning.  

I have had flights cancelled and flights delayed time after time.  One time some guy wanted off of the plane after they shut the doors.  Other times it was due to weather.  Another time we arrived at the airport, but were stuck on the plane for an hour even though there were plenty of open gates.  Another time there were delays, but by the time the plane arrived the crew had to switch out.  I think the people who fly direct the day of the cruise may just not fly enough to realize how often things like this happen.  That's fine.  Everyone takes risks in one way or another.

The three best recommendations I have ever read here on CC:
1.  Fly in a day early
2.  Get a passport
3.  Get travel insurance

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

What is often ignored is the value of a leisurely start to your cruise.  While most people who fly the day of, many of them board hassled and tired, often having gotten up before the crack of dawn and spent hours getting to airport, checking in, standing in line for security, sitting in a cramped row, hauling luggage into a cab - before waiting at the cruise terminal to board: this is a pretty good way to pre-ruin your first evening on board.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:00 AM, navybankerteacher said:

What is often ignored is the value of a leisurely start to your cruise.  While most people who fly the day of, many of them board hassled and tired, often having gotten up before the crack of dawn and spent hours getting to airport, checking in, standing in line for security, sitting in a cramped row, hauling luggage into a cab - before waiting at the cruise terminal to board: this is a pretty good way to pre-ruin your first evening on board.

Not been my experience at all. I have TSA pre-check. I breeze through airports, short 90 minute flight, cabs/Uber from airport to port. I only take carry on luggage that's easy to manage. I also get to ports after 1 pm so the lines are minimal. 

9 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I also get to ports after 1 pm so the lines are minimal. 

Bingo!  These days we get some early boarding privileges but all things being equal, this is a very wise thing to do.