Need advice - HAL vs Princess to Hawaii

AtlantaCruiser72

Does anyone who has sailed both HAL and Princess to Hawaii have any insight as the the amount of onboard Hawaii focused programming HAL has vs Princess?  It seems Princess offer a Hawaiian ambassador program, special menu items, cultural performances, Luau themed deck parties etc. I love the port schedule of HAL's 18 day cruises vs Princess 15 day cruises., I'm just worried that I'd be "missing out" in relation to the onboard experience by sailing HAL over Princess. 

Thanks in in advance for thoughts/insight

PS - I have also posted this same topic on the Princess boards

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

HAL also offers the Hawaii ambassador program, ukulele lessons everyday during the crossing, cultural performances, no deck parties. I don't think other then itinerary there is much difference, which ever cruise you decide enjoy. 

Be aware that the HAL Hawaii ambassadors are only on the ship on the segment TO Hawaii and not on the way back.  There was  quite a bit less to do, in terms of organized activities, on the return segment than on the first segment.  But we did have a Black & White ball which was nice (if even only for an hour or so).

I can't speak to Princess but would think it is similar with the Hawaii ambassadors being onboard only for the outbound segment.

I did the 15 day cruise with Princess. We had the roughest seas, both ways, that I have ever seen. Most of the passengers were seasick. It was so bad it was difficult to walk around. As a result, everybody just stayed in their cabins. Even the MDR was nearly empty every night. The seas were nice once we got to Hawaii, but then we had to come back.

I personally love sea days and have done a previous 15 day Hawaii cruise on Celebrity, as well as multiple transatlantic crossings. There is no way to predict when you might encounter rough seas, and realistically the size difference between most vessels will not affect things much. It does sound as if HAL's Hawaii programming is less extensive than Princess but the extra 2 port days in Hawaii on an 18 day HAL sailing vs the 15 day Princess offerings is still leaning me towards HAL.