CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

Understood.

I do wish that we, as a country, could be a little more proactive in this regard. And, for that matter, the environment, infrastructure, and on, and on... !!

[emoji846]

Tom

I agree. Proactivity has a long way to go in this country. As does altruism.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, hawkeye93 said:

You’re welcome. It’s simplistic enough (which our patients need) but yet informative.

I'm old enough to remember doctors visiting your home!

The only way to limit the passing of this virus on to others is to have a person trained in getting the samples/swipes needed at your home, you stay in your home a day waiting the results, and if sick, stay home for 14 days/whatever they come up with, and get retested again! 

Going to a doctors office or the hospital to get checked is just passing on the virus to others who aren't sick with the virus. 

Can you imagine sitting in your doctors office waiting for your regular physical, and others are waiting for a virus check??? Doesn't make sense!

The German Chancellor yesterday stated she felt up to 70% of Germany will get the virus, that's almost 60 million! 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51835856

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Understood.

I do wish that we, as a country, could be a little more proactive in this regard. And, for that matter, the environment, infrastructure, and on, and on... !!

🙂

Tom

100% agree!!!

37 minutes ago, AmBear said:

I'm old enough to remember doctors visiting your home!

The only way to limit the passing of this virus on to others is to have a person trained in getting the samples/swipes needed at your home, you stay in your home a day waiting the results, and if sick, stay home for 14 days/whatever they come up with, and get retested again! 

Going to a doctors office or the hospital to get checked is just passing on the virus to others who aren't sick with the virus. 

Can you imagine sitting in your doctors office waiting for your regular physical, and others are waiting for a virus check??? Doesn't make sense!

The German Chancellor yesterday stated she felt up to 70% of Germany will get the virus, that's almost 60 million! 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51835856

Yeah I’m scheduled for my annual physical next month and was thinking about that, too.  

22 hours ago, Wombservice said:

So I just got off the phone with a very helpful Carnival PVP and here’s how it goes:

Whatever your original non-refundable deposit was, plus whatever penalty amount you might have incurred depending on how far out you are from your cruise becomes a future cruise credit.  You can see what your penalty amount is by looking at your booking online - go to “Cruise Balance Details” then “Cancellation Information” at the bottom, and there you will see your current penalty amount.  Here’s the penalty schedule from their website:

• From the final payment date to 56 days prior to sailing, the penalty is the standard deposit amount.
  • From 55 days prior to sailing to 30 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 50% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater.
  • From 29 to15 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 75% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater.
  • From 14 days prior to sailing to the day of your cruise, the penalty is 100%* of the total fare.
  • No refunds will be made if you do not show up for your cruise or if you interrupt or cancelyour vacation once it has begun.

The balance of what you paid already, minus the penalty amount, should be refunded to you in whatever form you paid with originally - credit card, gift cards, etc..  At least that’s how it was explained to me!  And oh - we had received a future cruise credit as a gift  on our present cruise because our Mardi Gras cruise was cancelled by Carnival a few months back.  That would also carry forward as a future cruise credit if we wished to rebook (which we will not be doing, unfortunately).

Hope this helps explain how your money will be reimbursed..........

Thanks for posting this! Does the cancellation policy (refund minus deposit if cancel more than 56 days) apply to ALL sailings or just ones up until May 31?

My final payment for a June European sailing is due March 21 and I have been trying to find out when I have to cancel to only be out my deposit.  I want to go on the cruise if possible because it has taken a massive amount of planning, but do to kids and husband's job, we cannot risk a quarantine. 

5 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

Yeah I’m scheduled for my annual physical next month and was thinking about that, too.  

Blood tests for my physical next week, not going!

County next to us just reported a 47 yr old tested positive yesterday! 

Like others have said, its been here for likely a month, many might have had it, and are ok, others might have it now, and are spreading it, wish they'd lock down the senior homes!

11 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Thanks for posting this! Does the cancellation policy (refund minus deposit if cancel more than 56 days) apply to ALL sailings or just ones up until May 31?

My final payment for a June European sailing is due March 21 and I have been trying to find out when I have to cancel to only be out my deposit.  I want to go on the cruise if possible because it has taken a massive amount of planning, but do to kids and husband's job, we cannot risk a quarantine. 

From what I know , carnival is making offers to those with bookings thru May 31 to reschedule with credit for penalty .  If you cancel before final payment you get deposit back unless you booked a discounted rate . I also have a booking in June .. I have insurance, so waiting to see what happens by then . 

Carnival is still only through May 31 as of this moment.

WHO (World Health Organization) just declared Coronavirus a pandemic.

Hospitals are putting up treatment tents outside to deal with the incoming  patients. Our health care system cannot handle what is about to happen. Respirators will be rationed to those who have a better chance of survival.

All cruise lines should just cancel cruises for the next couple of months.

Blood tests for my physical next week, not going!
County next to us just reported a 47 yr old tested positive yesterday! 
Like others have said, its been here for likely a month, many might have had it, and are ok, others might have it now, and are spreading it, wish they'd lock down the senior homes!

My town has a 3 year old who tested positive on Monday. I’ve wondered if we aren’t hearing of children near as much bc they are more immune to this for some reason or simply bc their symptoms are so mild (normal kid crud). This family here will be a very interesting case to study. We need as much data as possible to get vaccine trials going.

Just now, hawkeye93 said:

My town has a 3 year old who tested positive on Monday. I’ve wondered if we aren’t hearing of children near as much bc they are more immune to this for some reason or simply bc their symptoms are so mild (normal kid crud). This family here will be a very interesting case to study. We need as much data as possible to get vaccine trials going.

Personally, I think more kids have it. They just don't show symptoms as much as older people or people with underlying health issues. Also, kids get sick all the time, so maybe because it is not severe in kids, parents and doctors assume it's just run of the mill stuff. Often it probably is, but sometimes maybe not.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tcha said:

WHO (World Health Organization) just declared Coronavirus a pandemic.

Hospitals are putting up treatment tents outside to deal with the incoming  patients. Our health care system cannot handle what is about to happen. Respirators will be rationed to those who have a better chance of survival.

All cruise lines should just cancel cruises for the next couple of months.

My daughter and  a son inlaw work in hospitals in CT and. y. There are no tents.  

19 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

Personally, I think more kids have it. They just don't show symptoms as much as older people or people with underlying health issues. Also, kids get sick all the time, so maybe because it is not severe in kids, parents and doctors assume it's just run of the mill stuff. Often it probably is, but sometimes maybe not.

For whatever reason, the severity of symptoms in kids has been very mild.  Children are probably part of the reason this is spreading because they aren't getting seriously ill so aren't being tested for it and unknowingly spreading it.  I saw a very informative expert discussing this a few days ago on one of the morning shows.  Unlike the Flu, kids seem to be at less risk rather than greater risk.

And let's be honest: Kids are walking germ infestations. I have two young kids and I swear they would lick the floor of a Walmart bathroom if I allowed them to. 

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 3

Just now, Eli_6 said:

For whatever reason, the severity of symptoms in kids has been very mild.  Children are probably part of the reason this is spreading because they aren't getting seriously ill so aren't being tested for it and because, well, they are walking germ infestations anyway.  I have two young kids and I swear they would lick the floor of a Walmart bathroom if I allowed them to. 

Yep. Kids touch eeeeevvveeeerrryyything. And don't wash up unless forced.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

My daughter and  a son inlaw work in hospitals in CT and. y. There are no tents.  

Sorry, GBMC, in Maryland. My friend’s husband is the medical director of geriatric medicine dept. He was told that he can’t travel more than 50 miles away until further notice. 
Blessings of health to all cruising soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tcha said:

Sorry, GBMC, in Maryland. My friend’s husband is the medical director of geriatric medicine dept. He was told that he can’t travel more than 50 miles away until further notice. 

Well that makes sense.  

4 minutes ago, tcha said:

And blessings of health to ALL of those people working in the health care industry. And I mean everybody. Their task in the upcoming days, weeks, and months will be daunting and overwhelming. 

• Like 2

On 3/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, cruisingblond said:

I cancelled on Saturday but never received a confirmation nor have I seen a credit to my credit card yet.  I want to rebook asap but feel like I should have some sort of proof of my credit first, anyone know how long this is taking?  

Did you ever get your cancellation & rebooking taken care of? 

11 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

And blessings of health to ALL of those people working in the health care industry. And I mean everybody. Their task in the upcoming days, weeks, and months will be daunting and overwhelming. 

To date, my daughter the teacher has the worst of it.  

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Latest on the Pence call to action and the Industry response.  More to follow:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22574-pence-cruise-industry-delivers-comprehensive-proposal.html

This article has some details of the proposal. In it, it says the cruise industry is recommending not letting anyone on board who is 70 or older without a Doctor's note signifying their fitness to sail. If that is the case, especially since it is coming from the cruise industry itself, they better update cancelation protocols now so that travelers who are 70 can cancel outright with a cash refund vs. going through the FCC nonsense. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/ 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tcha said:

My husband was the director of a geriatric psychiatric hospital for a number of years. I am so glad he is now in private practice or I am scared to think of the even greater effect this would be having.  

As an aside, even though we are young and healthy, we still ended up sick all the time when he was doing that. He once ended up with shingles on his face.😳  He had never had shingles before in his life and the vaccine was only recommended for 60 and up at the time.  

9 minutes ago, sunprairie1979 said:

This article has some details of the proposal. In it, it says the cruise industry is recommending not letting anyone on board who is 70 or older without a Doctor's note signifying their fitness to sail. If that is the case, especially since it is coming from the cruise industry itself, they better update cancelation protocols now so that travelers who are 70 can cancel outright with a cash refund vs. going through the FCC nonsense. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/ 

Hmmmm....seeing how I am now 72, my first knee jerk reaction is that this is pretty draconian. BUT, I cannot disagree with this proposal. Maybe draconian measures are now justified, since WHO has declared this to be a pandemic. But what do I know. I"m just a simple country boy. Come on HOT weather!