CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

1 hour ago, tcha said:

WHO (World Health Organization) just declared Coronavirus a pandemic.

Hospitals are putting up treatment tents outside to deal with the incoming  patients. Our health care system cannot handle what is about to happen. Respirators will be rationed to those who have a better chance of survival.

All cruise lines should just cancel cruises for the next couple of months.

My question is will they be forced to cancel now that it is considered a pandemic?   I am booked in two weeks and hope they make a decision sooner than later.

Edited by mum22girls
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Hmmmm....seeing how I am now 72, my first knee jerk reaction is that this is pretty draconian. BUT, I cannot disagree with this proposal. Maybe draconian measures are now justified, since WHO has declared this to be a pandemic. But what do I know. I"m just a simple country boy. Come on HOT weather! 

From what I've read, there's reason to believe that this virus will not behave similarly in that regard to influenza. So, I'm not holding out hope. But who knows !

Ugh. And my city/County (Houston/Harris County) has declared an emergency health declaration in addition to canceling ALL city events for the month of March including the rodeo.   We have 14 cases. Also requiring people traveling internationally to do a 14 days of quarantine. Not sure how that is going to work considering we have two major international airports.  Listening to the mayor talking right now on the news in an emergency broadcast.

But he did say: City of Houston employees, I still expect you to show up to work and work the entire day today and tomorrow.

Edited by Eli_6

Just now, larrywizzit said:

This is the nightmare scenario. It's what I fear most. Apparently it is already happening in hospitals in Italy's quarantined north.

Yes, and I understand that in some cases they're opting to devote their limited resources to those who they feel will stand a better chance of survival ... which can boil down to those who are younger. 

22 minutes ago, sunprairie1979 said:

This article has some details of the proposal. In it, it says the cruise industry is recommending not letting anyone on board who is 70 or older without a Doctor's note signifying their fitness to sail. If that is the case, especially since it is coming from the cruise industry itself, they better update cancelation protocols now so that travelers who are 70 can cancel outright with a cash refund vs. going through the FCC nonsense. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/ 

Our cruise leaves Saturday.  We have 14 people going and we drive down on Friday.  If they do this, then 4-5 people in our party would be barred from the ship.  How on earth do we handle that when it hasn't been put out there yet but could affect us?

31 minutes ago, sunprairie1979 said:

This article has some details of the proposal. In it, it says the cruise industry is recommending not letting anyone on board who is 70 or older without a Doctor's note signifying their fitness to sail. If that is the case, especially since it is coming from the cruise industry itself, they better update cancelation protocols now so that travelers who are 70 can cancel outright with a cash refund vs. going through the FCC nonsense. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/ 

Plan and execution are different things.  I have seen nothing on some of these actions and others are def implemented.  

37 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Plan and execution are different things.  I have seen nothing on some of these actions and others are def implemented.  

It's the fact that this is a plan that was submitted by the cruise industry trade organization (not the government) just last night that is frustrating. If the cruise industry is suggesting to the government that they restrict everyone 70 and up from getting on a cruise, that shouldn't simply be in a secret plan. It should have been implemented by the industry immediately, knowing that thousands of people are weighing these kinds of decisions right now. If the industry itself is saying we shouldn't let 70 year olds on, then why are they letting 70 year olds on?

Edited by sunprairie1979

13 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

@UrbishN - So I am watching the news and the reason they are shutting it down is because a guy from Montgomery County who has not been outside the state but who attended the Rodeo cook off has tested positive.  There were 75,000 people at the rodeo and cook off that night.  Houston now is considered to be in a state of "community spread."

Can you link to your local news? If they are going to quarantine and we are set to go out of Galveston, but need to fly back home after going to Cozumel, Belize and Honduras(which have no cases, but...), then I probably need to cancel.

1 hour ago, KansasBeachLover said:

Our cruise leaves Saturday.  We have 14 people going and we drive down on Friday.  If they do this, then 4-5 people in our party would be barred from the ship.  How on earth do we handle that when it hasn't been put out there yet but could affect us?

A missed cruise is better then possible death! 

Call Carnival and ask them, but this is changing so fast, they likely won't know!

Edited by AmBear

1 minute ago, AmBear said:

A missed cruise is better then possible death! 

Call Carnival and ask them, but this is changing so fast, they likely won'y know!

"Call Carnival" is a joke, right? It is SOOOO hard to get through on the phones. I guess set an alarm and call at 4am EST.

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

Hmmmm....seeing how I am now 72, my first knee jerk reaction is that this is pretty draconian. BUT, I cannot disagree with this proposal. Maybe draconian measures are now justified, since WHO has declared this to be a pandemic. But what do I know. I"m just a simple country boy. Come on HOT weather! 

Doing some reading as I'm far from being an expert on disease,

the article stated the reason virus cases go down in the warmer weather is not because the virus is affected by heat,

its because people spend more time 'outside' farther away from each other!

In colder weather people tend to be inside where its easier for a virus to pass! 

17 minutes ago, sunprairie1979 said:

It's the fact that this is a plan that was submitted by the cruise industry trade organization (not the government) just last night that is frustrating. If the cruise industry is suggesting to the government that they restrict everyone 70 and up from getting on a cruise, that shouldn't simply be in a secret plan. It should have been implemented by the industry immediately, knowing that thousands of people are weighing these kinds of decisions right now. If the industry itself is saying we shouldn't let 70 year olds on, then why are they letting 70 year olds on?

Maybe we can let them decide on the components and the implementation.  I understand the impact for you.  This is uncharted waters.  It is entirely possible that they feds reject thw whole thing.  

3 minutes ago, bahacca said:

"Call Carnival" is a joke, right? It is SOOOO hard to get through on the phones. I guess set an alarm and call at 4am EST.

Guess I'm lucky, I got my Carnival rep's personal phone number!

Good idea for the future, ask your rep for their number! 

We all just booked cruises at the wrong time, unfortunately. Or maybe since we all can make a decision, knowing what is coming, instead of being blindsided by being quarantined on a ship. I was really looking forward to my vacation.

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Maybe we can let them decide on the components and the implementation.  I understand the impact for you.  This is uncharted waters.  It is entirely possible that they feds reject thw whole thing.  

Again, I don't care if the feds reject it or not. If the cruise companies are the one's suggesting they shouldn't allow 70 years olds on their cruise ships, then THEY should implement that immediately. If the Feds were suggesting this, then it would be fair for the cruise industry to push back. But this plan is from the cruise industry. If it is a big enough concern to have been submitted to the government, then it should be accompanied with an immediate implementation on the cruise ships that they own and run.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sunprairie1979 said:

Makes no sense,,,70 bad, 69/68 etc ok!

I've met 85 yr olds in Florida that you'd swear were 60-65!

4 minutes ago, sunprairie1979 said:

Again, I don't care if the feds reject it or not. If the cruise companies are the one's suggesting they shouldn't allow 70 years olds on their cruise ships, then THEY should implement that immediately. If the Feds were suggesting this, then it would be fair for the cruise industry to push back. But this plan is from the cruise industry. If it is a big enough concern to have been submitted to the government, then it should be accompanied with an immediate implementation on the cruise ships that they own and run.

Lol I will try once more and move on   There are steps involved in any implementation, some obviously are easier than others.  Saying it (in your opinion) should be immediate does not make it true or happen.  The industry might not all agree on every component and time and effort ro implement, I have no idea.  Obviously elders have been on the danger list as well as those with underlying conditions.  Maybe you should contact your travel advisor. 

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

Why would it?

Someone mentioned that there may be a 14 day quarantine in Houston for anyone who traveled outside of the country. Was unclear as to if that would mean for people at airports, city workers, etc.