Jewelry Shopping

Sandra1616

Hi Cruisers,

Hopefully, I will be going on my first cruise at the end of this 2020 year. Destination yet unknown, but a strong chance of Caribbean, then Mediterranean.  One of the things, I would like to buy is beautiful well crafted gemstone jewelry in 18 Karat gold settings for myself on shore excursions and maybe on the ship. Do you have any helpful advice, thoughts or insights?  Just like every one else, I don't want to under pay or over pay.  I appreciate your replies, Sandra

Do you want to buy them while on your cruise, or do you want to buy them pre-cruise?

Personally I would be reluctant to purchase really expensive jewelry far from home (on a cruise or on a shore excursion) unless you are able to assess their reliability in some way before making the purchase.

• Haha 1

Larimar is kind of a traditional jewellery purchase in the Caribbean, comes in all sorts of price points.  Italian gold is pretty nice if you are in the Med, but never cheap. 

https://www.jewelryshoppingguide.com/larimar-gemstone-guide/  Other gemstone (semi and precious) tips on this site too. 

I do agree though that it's best if you can assess the value and confirm if the jewelry you want is the genuine article. 

Or, if you have enough money and you don't care, the reverse is true: buy what speaks to you and makes you happy and don't bother to have it verified by a gemologist when you return if you aren't concerned about the value as an investment.

18 K is the standard for gold around the world (other than here in the states). You mentioned the Med....if you

are going to Italy, look for gold there....and they have some beautiful gemstones too.

• Haha 1