Loyalty levels to change

iltutcruiser

10 hours ago, DryCreek said:

I heard from a baggage porter last week that they are going to offer a Tanzanite level next.  And maybe a Cubic Zirconia one too, but that's still all up in the air for now.

Great Post!!!

9 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Oh, har de har har. No reason to spread that nonsense. Some people may not get your humor. Pay no attention to him folks. He's just trying to make a funny. 

Humor is the one thing that is mostly missing from most of the topics discussed - I have a hard time understanding why this is so upsetting to some people.

This discussion comes up about as often as the "T" word (tipping). Its such an emotional topic!!

If anyone gets upset when and if they change the levels there are plenty of other companies you can try and see if they can do a better job. No one forces anyone to travel or continue to travel with Carnival. If you don't like something its your right to move on. I am not telling anyone to do that or to try anything else I am just saying you have options. You are not owned by Carnival Corp because of the color of your card. I am Platinum and love to travel on the other lines were I have basically no status...and you know what - it makes no difference to me!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

If they remove benefits for the people who reach platinum, that would completely defeat the purpose of a loyalty rewards program.  The priority lines cost Carnival nothing.  The cabins being ready cost them nothing since they have to clean the cabins regardless of priority.  They just clean the priority ones first.  The free laundry does cost them money.  They could always give priority people a discount on the promotional bags.  Like maybe charge $5 instead of $15 or just change it to one free bag per person per cruise.

If Carnival is having a tough time getting all of the priority cabins cleaned, then they could change it so that the cabin will only be available early for baggage drop off.  That would go over better than completely removing the benefit.  I think the main draw for people having immediate access to their cabins is to drop off bags.

Having bags and other items in your stateroom will make it more difficult for your room to be serviced due to obstructions and having the door secured.

With Royal’s version of FTTF, they have a centralized drop off for carry ins in which they will then have the items delivered to the room. Personally, I’m not a fan of that idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Having bags and other items in your stateroom will make it more difficult for your room to be serviced due to obstructions and having the door secured.

With Royal’s version of FTTF, they have a centralized drop off for carry ins in which they will then have the items delivered to the room. Personally, I’m not a fan of that idea.

I purchased the Key for my cruise on Harmony in a week, but I am a bit nervous dropping off my carry-on with my laptop in it to be delivered to my room.  I bought a lock for it.  I haven't heard of people having any problems with the drop off service, but I've never done anything like that before.

With Carnival, I don't need my room ready.  I just want to drop off carry-on bags.  I really like to travel with carry-on only and have a load of clothes washed during my cruise.  I don't even mind washing it myself, but it's sometimes challenging to find an empty washing machine.  That's where the free laundry will come in handy.  I can see how dropping off carry-on bags might be an issue, but it seems like letting platinums drop them off and put them under the bed would be better than eliminating cabin access completely.

Royal doesn't offer self-service washing machines and I am afraid their promotional bag won't be offered until my cruise is nearly over.  I have to bring a larger suitcase, which also means checking it on the airlines and paying baggage fees.  Thankfully, my Southwest flight home won't charge any fees.

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I purchased the Key for my cruise on Harmony in a week, but I am a bit nervous dropping off my carry-on with my laptop in it to be delivered to my room.  I bought a lock for it.  I haven't heard of people having any problems with the drop off service, but I've never done anything like that before.

With Carnival, I don't need my room ready.  I just want to drop off carry-on bags.  I really like to travel with carry-on only and have a load of clothes washed during my cruise.  I don't even mind washing it myself, but it's sometimes challenging to find an empty washing machine.  That's where the free laundry will come in handy.  I can see how dropping off carry-on bags might be an issue, but it seems like letting platinums drop them off and put them under the bed would be better than eliminating cabin access completely.

Royal doesn't offer self-service washing machines and I am afraid their promotional bag won't be offered until my cruise is nearly over.  I have to bring a larger suitcase, which also means checking it on the airlines and paying baggage fees.  Thankfully, my Southwest flight home won't charge any fees.

I had a really bad experience once in Vancouver where a hotel was storing a computer and it fell while in their care. It was not a fun experience to go through but things happen. Going forward, certain types of items I will always remain in control of when traveling if a room is not ready and have opted to forego suite upgrades to have a standard room that is ready instead for that purpose.

Although the laundry benefit was something I’ve enjoyed in the past when my loyalty belonged to Carnival, I try not to use it now. Many items are returned damaged on Princess and because there are too many Elite Members, it takes 72 hours or more for it to be returned. It didn’t change the amount of items I pack though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

I had a really bad experience once in Vancouver where a hotel was storing a computer and it fell while in their care. It was not a fun experience to go through but things happen. Going forward, certain types of items I will always remain in control of when traveling if a room is not ready and have opted to forego suite upgrades to have a standard room that is ready instead for that purpose.

Although the laundry benefit was something I’ve enjoyed in the past when my loyalty belonged to Carnival, I try not to use it now. Many items are returned damaged on Princess and because there are too many Elite Members, it takes 72 hours or more for it to be returned. It didn’t change the amount of items I pack though.

I have never left my laptop with anyone.  When I traveled somewhere and my hotel room wasn't ready yet, I carried it with me.  I may take a light laptop bag and just keep it on me until my cabin is ready for my trip on Harmony. I don't know if the Key will be worth it.  I've read good and bad reviews, so I will just have to see it for myself. 
I am cruising on the Magic in April and will reach platinum, so I will pack light.  I used their promotional bag service on my last cruise and just sent out shorts, T-shirts, and stuff like that.  I got the laundry back the next day and it was fine.  I definitely wouldn't send out any really nice things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

The trend is moving towards Titanium for a loyalty program tier name 😉 

True, for the upper end.

Titanium is going to be just below Unobtanium, but directly above Rhodium.

The Tanzanium and Cubic Zirconia are just newly proposed intermediate levels.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DryCreek said:

True, for the upper end.

Titanium is going to be just below Unobtanium, but directly above Rhodium.

The Tanzanium and Cubic Zirconia are just newly proposed intermediate levels.

Unobtanium! Hahahahahahahahahha. Love your wit D.C. ! You wouldn't happen to be sailing on the Freedom on Sept. 13 would you? I'd be happy to buy you a beer...maybe 2 or 3. Lol.

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Carnival did this for a year or two before they opened your cabins early!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I have never left my laptop with anyone.  When I traveled somewhere and my hotel room wasn't ready yet, I carried it with me.  I may take a light laptop bag and just keep it on me until my cabin is ready for my trip on Harmony. I don't know if the Key will be worth it.  I've read good and bad reviews, so I will just have to see it for myself. 
I am cruising on the Magic in April and will reach platinum, so I will pack light.  I used their promotional bag service on my last cruise and just sent out shorts, T-shirts, and stuff like that.  I got the laundry back the next day and it was fine.  I definitely wouldn't send out any really nice things.

The best part of getting the Key is it includes WiFi access on the ship. Royal’s prices are constantly changing but I have seen the price for the Key be $6.00 or so more per day than the cost of Voom (Royal’s WiFi service), which makes the Key a good deal in my opinion if you plan to buy WiFi on the ship. The Key is significantly more expensive than FTTF, so that can be a big negative if you are used to buying FTTF. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The best part of getting the Key is it includes WiFi access on the ship. Royal’s prices are constantly changing but I have seen the price for the Key be $6.00 or so more per day than the cost of Voom (Royal’s WiFi service), which makes the Key a good deal in my opinion if you plan to buy WiFi on the ship. The Key is significantly more expensive than FTTF, so that can be a big negative if you are used to buying FTTF. 

Yes, the fact that it includes WiFi definitely was a deciding factor.  It is much more expensive than FTTF, but the benefits of good seats for shows might come in handy on a huge ship like Harmony. Same for specific times on some of the attractions.  I will be cruising with my teen grandson and I know he will want to do everything.   I don't mind paying extra if I get value out of something.  I'll find out soon.

there was a time when I was upset by previous changes in the loyalty program, ie when gold were no longer able to go to the past guest party.  Now I really dont care anymore.  I am at 54 days, and still gold, will take me at least 7 more cruises of 7 days or so to reach platinum at which time, that level could be greatly reduced in perks.  So I really no longer care about the levels anymore, especially since I travel less and less now.  I will more than likely do another Carnival cruise as I have always enjoyed them, but whether I am red, gold or platinum, means nothing to me now. Just me though, I understand that others who travel, cruise often will feel different about it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SMSACE6 said:

there was a time when I was upset by previous changes in the loyalty program, ie when gold were no longer able to go to the past guest party.  Now I really dont care anymore.  I am at 54 days, and still gold, will take me at least 7 more cruises of 7 days or so to reach platinum at which time, that level could be greatly reduced in perks.  So I really no longer care about the levels anymore, especially since I travel less and less now.  I will more than likely do another Carnival cruise as I have always enjoyed them, but whether I am red, gold or platinum, means nothing to me now. Just me though, I understand that others who travel, cruise often will feel different about it.

Yeah I don't think most loyalty programs are really "sticky" until you get closer to the top.

My wife and I are Marriott Silver Elite or something, not really exciting - but if we were their equivalent to VIFP Platinum or Diamond - probably more likely to book Marriott. We were higher tier back when she traveled a lot for work, but their rewards program is a "what have you done for me lately" program vs. Carnival's lifetime program.

Maybe that's something Carnival is looking at, or perhaps should be - encouraging more blue cards to become reds, rather than encouraging platinum cards to hold out for diamond - particularly as the pleasure cruising market continues to grow and saturate.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:24 AM, TNcruising02 said:

If Carnival is having a tough time getting all of the priority cabins cleaned, then they could change it so that the cabin will only be available early for baggage drop off.  That would go over better than completely removing the benefit.  I think the main draw for people having immediate access to their cabins is to drop off bags.

Exactly.  I just want to get on early and don't need my cabin to be move in ready, I just want to drop off my bags and smuggled booze, claim a couple loungers by the pool and run by guest services to cancel my tips.  JUST KIDDING...chill.  I just want to drop off my bags and get lunch so that I can wander the boat in peace while everyone boards.  I always have a balcony, but I love to be on deck at sail away with a drink with an umbrella in it people watching,

Here is my unsolicited take on Carnival's cost for the loyalty program.  My first cruise in 2002 was seven days and my S&S balance was over $3,000.  My last cruise was also seven days and my S&S balance was $150 (I prepay tips).  I've already bought all the souvenirs, I don't gamble, and I no longer buy shore excursions.  In the end, I believe Carnival would rather sell my cabin to someone newer who is going to spend more money on the ship.  Perhaps I am not representative of other platinum folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Unobtanium! Hahahahahahahahahha. Love your wit D.C. ! You wouldn't happen to be sailing on the Freedom on Sept. 13 would you? I'd be happy to buy you a beer...maybe 2 or 3. Lol.

I like the itineraries for the Freedom.  I have been longing to visit Key West, and the DW has had a hankerin' to see the Bahamas.  We just finished a 7-day Western Caribbean on the Vista.  That may have inadvertently thrown a monkey wrench in the plans to sail the Freedom in a couple of years.  As I recall, I haven't seen any cove balconies on her.  My wife has flatly stated that is the only way she'd ever cruise again.  She really, and I mean really, enjoyed the privacy and ambiance of the cove.

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

My wife and I are Marriott Silver Elite or something, not really exciting - but if we were their equivalent to VIFP Platinum or Diamond - probably more likely to book Marriott. We were higher tier back when she traveled a lot for work, but their rewards program is a "what have you done for me lately" program vs. Carnival's lifetime program.

Annual requalifications are exactly what they should be and lifetime status should have difficult requirements and should be earned. Spending a minimum of 75 nights each year in hotels on my own dime, it’s incredibly easy to reach the 75 nights required for Lifetime Platinum on Carnival.

What are the benefits of Marriott Silver? I always forget that’s a tier.

Edited by xDisconnections

6 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Annual requalifications are exactly what they should be and lifetime status should have difficult requirements and should be earned. Spending a minimum of 75 nights each year in hotels on my own dime, it’s incredibly easy to reach the 75 nights required for Lifetime Platinum on Carnival.

What are the benefits of Marriott Silver? I always forget that’s a tier.

Putting a annual (or other continuing attainment status) on a loyalty tier is an interesting qualifier I had not thought of.   

25 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

On MSC you have to cruise at least once every 3 years to maintain your loyalty level. 

True, if Carnival adopted something along these lines it would have to be multi faceted and more aggressive.