Pride out of Baltimore tomorrow February 23

cellfree

On John Heald facebook page there is this:

CARNIVAL PRIDE
FEBRUARY 23, 2020

February 22, 2020

Dear Carnival Pride Guest,

We have an important update to share regarding your cruise tomorrow.

Our Fleet Operations Center in Miami has been actively monitoring the weather along the east coast. Carnival Pride is currently experiencing strong winds and high swells as she sails back to Baltimore. In addition to these adverse weather conditions, our technicians are working to resolve an issue that is affecting the ship's maximum cruising speed. As a result, our arrival will be delayed and this will impact embarkation for your cruise.

We will continue to monitor the situation and provide you with an update by 8:00 AM (EST) tomorrow. If you haven't already done so, we kindly ask that you sign up for updates by texting CCL3 to 278473 (CRUISE).

I apologize for this unexpected change and thank you for your understanding.

i will expect at least a 2-6 hour delay or so

At 8am today when she last reported on AIS the ship was still off the coast of Georgia and was showing she was only making 19 knots.  

I’d say arrival well after noon tomorrow is likely now.    Even if they get their propulsion issues fixed and pick up speed they’re still going to struggle to make time.   

Guess we’ve got some time to kill tomorrow after checking out from the hotel. 

Just now, cellfree said:

And all on board who have flights out of Baltimore tomorrow/Sunday will be scrambling to make changes.

They often open up the wifi for free And provide some free phone minutes in these sorts of situations to allow people to make the necessary changes.  

Still not fun.    But a potential reality anytime you cruise.   

Ack, 5:15.   

Well, it is what it is I guess.    Will be a late sail away for us on the flip side - hopefully we can still make our full day in Half Moon Cay (first port day for us) as a result.    Of all the ports of call on this itinerary that’s the one I’d least like cut short.    🙁

Edited by Oshawapilot

It is weather related and a propulsion issue that they cannot reach the speed they need. At least that is what the captain has been telling us. They are trying to fix it as we are in route. 
It was extremely rough last night. A lot of people were sick and navigating the ship was a challenge. They cancelled the show because it was not safe for the dancers.  
Today has been better but started to pick up again tonight. Still announcing 4 o’clock arrival in Baltimore. 

Last the ship popped up on AIS it was now making almost 22 knots, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say whatever mechanical issues were at play have been addressed.

I actually just checked again and she's now reporting 22.6 knots so they are definitely running wide open now - that's actually faster than her normal service speed.

She's showing off Cape Hatteras now so it's actually a little further north than I feared.     Just measured roughly 120 miles to the mouth of the Chesapeake.   At current speed that should put her at the mouth and picking up her pilot around 5 hours from now, so around 3AM.       Transiting from the mouth to Baltimore is roughly a 10 hour process assuming everything goes smoothly, so that would put the ship pierside around 1-2PM or so.    

If everything goes perfectly.     

But I'm sure they're doing everything possible to get there ASAP.     Getting in late is bad enough for ships logistics, but the later the worse things get - crew will be thrown way off schedule by simple things such as having to handle luggage late into the night, etc.

8AM has come and gone without the promised update from Carnival.  

They did just pre-auth my credit card on file for $200 though.   🙄

Current location of the ship is still over 100 miles from Baltimore, although still making19 knots.      Looks like there was some sort of hold up through the night.    

Carnival Pride 02/23/2020: The ship will arrive later this afternoon. Please disregard your Arrival Appointment and arrive for embarkation between 6:30 PM and 9:00 PM (EST). A US$15.00, per person, onboard credit will be posted to your Sail & Sign account to cover the cost of lunch. In preparation for departure, all guests must be on board by 9:30 PM (EST). Our itinerary remains as planned.  We also want to let you know that cruising speed issue has been resolved. Thank you for your patience and understanding. See you soon.

Got the email at 8:20 here.   

$15 PP stateroom credit seems a little weak to me considering not arriving at the port until 6:30 as ordered means not only buying lunch for many,  but probably dinner as well.    Reality is most people won’t probably get onboard until 7-8pm at the earliest.   

Well, it is what it is.    Good news is no effect on our itinerary at least.  

Luggage is our next concern.   My question is...will the staterooms be open as soon as we board?    They’d have to ask current guests to vacate early so the attendants can turn them over.      If that doesn’t happen, then it could be hours after an already late boarding before they’re ready....?      Add to that delayed luggage arrival....and it could be midnight before we get our luggage?        

If the staterooms will be ready right away we will probably just carry on our luggage to avoid that potential delay.    

I’m going to guess we will be doing muster tomorrow....since the email did say sail away would be right after everyone is onboard.       Trying to do a rushed muster at potentially 8-9pm with thousands of hungry (and slightly disgruntled) people trying to make the best of dinner would be unlikely to go well.   

SOLAS gives 24 hours for it to happen.     Although unusual for a cruise line to exercise that (particularly since *cough*, Costa Concordia) it seems likely in this situation.  

2 minutes ago, Oshawapilot said:

I’m going to guess we will be doing muster tomorrow....since the email did say sail away would be right after everyone is onboard.       Trying to do a rushed muster at potentially 8-9pm with thousands of hungry (and slightly disgruntled) people trying to make the best of dinner would be unlikely to go well.   

SOLAS gives 24 hours for it to happen.     Although unusual for a cruise line to exercise that (particularly since *cough*, Costa Concordia) it seems likely in this situation.  

Don’t know about the “rushed” portion, but we did muster at 10 out of San Juan.  I would bet you do it tonight. Let us know.  We have friends getting off when she docks, will be interesting to see what they say.