Sistahs Cruise: Bliss NY to Bahamas, Feb 23-March 1

Greenpea2

OK, so I am dragging this back up from page 11 or so ... Well folks, my “semi-live” cruise report did not turn out as I had expected or wanted. I’m sorry I just kind of dropped off the face of earth in the middle of my cruisereport. The internet was just so awful and frustrating, I tried multiple times daily with very little success. I did work with the IT guy there and some (not much) of the problem was that my sister had not been logging off correctly. That accounts for a day and a half of my internet sob story. We finally got that straightened out and for a day all was well and I posted more. Then it got impossible again. I found out after I returned that a big part of the issue was the CC website had problems for a couple of days. Since email and posting on CC was the extent of my online-while-cruising interest, I eventually gave up. It became infuriating and THAT’S no way to feel while on board a cruise ship! Here is what I saw day after day on my iPhone during the cruise:  😞

IMG_4136.PNG

IMG_4137.PNG

• Like 1

Then of course I went practically from debarkation to work for the next 5 days. But now, finally, I can pick it back up. I have pictures to share (which I finally sorted through piecemeal this week) and impressions to get down in writing.  

Since I can’t really do a day by day anymore (by now the days have all kind of mushed together in my mind), I’ll just kind of take things by subject matter. Or however it ends up coming together…

My plan was to, once onboard, take a picture of an index card stating the day as the first picture of the day. So I’d know what picture was from where/when. This is the only one I ever remembered to take a picture of. It went downhill from there!

Day 1-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our cabin. I had started out with an aft balcony cabin with a larger balcony, which I booked in January 2019. Somehow it became a 2-bedroom Haven Courtyard Villa. Magic?

It wasn’t magic. It was me. I’m to blame. It started out with my foolish yearnings for a return to the Haven after 5 years of no cruises. But it was also due to some good luck as well as a healthy dose of “oh, what the heck” thrown in. Two months after booking my original balcony cabin I started rooting around on the NCL website checking for price drops. One day I “just happened” to be looking at the Haven prices (foolish yearnings, I told you) and noticed the CY penthouse (with no separate bedroom) was only $200 more than what I had paid for a regular aft balcony! Say what!? I immediately called my PCC (who I have worked with for years and who knows me well regarding what I like and all my foolish cruise yearnings) and asked her if that could be right. She put me on hold and came back with “I don’t know why, but YES!” I said, “Book it!” She said, “Already done.” J Yay! So suddenly there I was in a CY Villa. 

I continued to periodically root around looking at prices (dreaming…thinking…yearning…is the 2 bedroom REALLY that much more expensive? Well yes. It is. Leave it alone, get a grip, self). And I did…until the day I saw the 2 bedroom Haven listed as only $200 more than the one I had! How could this be? I had to be not understanding what looked like a great bargain. So I called my PCC again. I said, “Could that be right??” She said, “I doubt it, but let me look.” A minute later she was back. “No,” she said “That is not right.” I laughed and said, “OK, I figured it couldn’t be!” Then she said “It is NOT $200 more than what you have. It is THE SAME PRICE! I have never seen that happen before!” I said “Book it!” She said “Already done!” So there we are. The prices eventually went up (up up) again. She had no idea why it was the same for a little while but said it probably just got caught temporarily in a price change across the board and I lucked out. I’ll say! Lesson for the day: Stay vigilant checking prices, especially if you book way in advance. 

On Day 1, beautiful flowers were delivered. The picture does not do them justice. 

Room 1-1IMG_3923.jpg

• Like 4

The cabin was smaller than the 2 bedroom on the Epic and Gem. I really only noticed it in the master bedroom, but it was noticeable there. Only about a foot of space at the end of the bed and on the side close to the wall. With both sets of closets at the foot of the bed, it’s a good thing no one needed the second one by the wall. I tried storing stuff in there but gave up, it wasn’t easy to fit standing in front of that one and get the stupid push-to-open (more on this below) doors open at the same time. (Note to self: if I ever cruise in the Haven again with my DH, he gets that side of the bed.) But the cabin was absolutely gorgeous. The only thing I did not like (and this dislike was felt multiple times every day) was all the drawers and cabinets being “push in to open” drawers and cabinets. They DON’T always open easily. I got to the point where when I couldn’t get them to close or open by gently pushing, I banged those suckers closed (or open)m until they succumbed. Honestly, that’s the best they could come up with design-wise?! Annoying. But other than that we both just loved the cabin. So comfortable, a ton of storage, the main bathroom is to die for as I knew it would be. Our balcony was awesome too although any good weather was pretty much spent on the sundeck or at outdoors venues. 

Although I freely offered my sister the option of sharing the master bedroom she  opted to take the second bedroom so she could have her own space. So on Day 1 I asked our wonderful steward (Jennifer) to make that bed up for us. It was small, like a single bed. But sistah said it was very comfy. The only issue she had was that there was about 5” of space against the wall where the mattress dipped and she kept rolling into it. After trying a couple of things, she spoke to Jenny about it. Jenny made sure there were well folded towels placed under the sheet that fit right into the gap, and no more problem. NOTE: Jenny said the bed can be made wider and it is, when there are a couple of kids staying on it, but whatever has to be done makes the bed very low to the floor so she did not do that for an adult. In any case, towels properly in place my sistah said it was comfy. 

I waited to take pictures right after Jenny had picked up after our slobby selves. But there always seemed to be at least some stuff laying (slobbily) around so I did the best I could, considering. 

Entry way first then living room/dining area.

Entryway.jpg

LR 1.jpg

LR 2.jpg

LR 3.jpg

LR 4.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 7:31 PM, kpark895 said:

Greenpea, where did you go to get reservations for specialty dining once you boarded the ship?  I can't get the times we want online right now, and don't want to fight crowds at the elevator computer screens if I don't have to.

park just seeing this now! Sorry. I made all our dinner reservations online precruise. Hated to have to but just did not want a headache if it was a problem once onboard. Last NCL cruise I took, there was no such thing as a dining package and had no problems going to any. I figured I better play it safe.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:54 PM, BEACHBARB said:

Love the sistahs cruise.  My 2 sisters and I just got off the Bliss on 2/16.  We were in an aft Haven.  And we LOVED Monica in the Haven lounge.  She took good care of us.  I brought my expired passport so that was a bit of a mess at the pier but NCL came up with a solution (my bro-in-law back home had to go to my house and take a pic of my birth certificate).  We have the Encore booked for 2/1/21 with the husbands in a 2 bedroom and now I'm worried that the bed in the 2nd bedroom doesn't open up!!!!! Thanks for all the posts.  Sorry about your weather.  The sun deck is awesome.    

I finally could post again (today). It does open up--I do mention that in more detail. No worries!

On 2/25/2020 at 10:44 PM, mamashamiller said:

I feel terrible but I don’t remember the stewards name.  He’s always around in the morning cleaning he’s young and he has braces too!

deck 11 forward and I mean all the way forward.  11100.  I guess if you see a cute steward with braces you can ask if he found a blue toiletries bag in Ava’s room.  I filed a missing item request on ncl but it says it takes 10 days to investigate.  However if he offers to give it to you I would totally reimburse you.  Again I don’t need the bag just the white retainer case inside.  Thanks for anything you can do.  

I'm so sorry I lost the ability to go online and could not help! I totally would have been happy to. I hope you get/got it back. 

On 2/26/2020 at 12:48 AM, ceilidh1 said:

Have you had your Cannonball at District Brew House yet? I would kill for one of those right now....

We never got to half of my to-do list. Sadly that was one of the things that got lost from our mind (along with all the brain cells). Darn. Next time!!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 1:16 PM, pboxfun said:

Are there a lot of college age spring breakers on your cruise?

There were a LOT of younger drunk folk. Not sure how old they were--but did not seem to be that young. 

On 2/28/2020 at 4:38 PM, #55worktoplay said:

OMG the hair extensions were great, it sounds like you two are having your own party which is fantastic.  If we ever do a Tribe cruise your sistah must come too. Between her and Deedle I am sure it would be a blast. 

Keep having fun GP.  

P.S. It’s bad posture to shrug your shoulders😀 you just have to laugh.

You are a great sister to treat her so much. 

Thank you! I make fun, but I completely enjoy her. Talky crazy overburdened-with-clothes-and-extensions as she may be. And yes, she would be fun on a tribe cruise! 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

Then of course I went practically from debarkation to work for the next 5 days. But now, finally, I can pick it back up. I have pictures to share (which I finally sorted through piecemeal this week) and impressions to get down in writing.  

Since I can’t really do a day by day anymore (by now the days have all kind of mushed together in my mind), I’ll just kind of take things by subject matter. Or however it ends up coming together…

My plan was to, once onboard, take a picture of an index card stating the day as the first picture of the day. So I’d know what picture was from where/when. This is the only one I ever remembered to take a picture of. It went downhill from there!

Day 1-1.jpg

Next time just take a picture of your tv. Should have date and location

On 2/25/2020 at 10:30 AM, nhtravels said:

Are you finding the upgraded drink package to be worth it?  I'm torn b/c DH doesn't drink (he had gastric bypass and gets hammered on 1/4 of a cocktail now!) but he does enjoy Starbucks when we travel.  

But I always upgrade my hard stuff (even at home) and love me a good bubbly.  

I"m trying to justify upgrading (I have plenty of OBC right now) for the 2 Starbucks a day DH will drink.  And my love for good tequila and some Veuve!  

Thanks Greenpea2 for taking us on this adventure with you and for sharing all your knowledge!

I was on another ship the same time as green pea. Had the upgraded package and loved it. Could not get Veuve by the bottle but had enough glasses to equal six bottles!
at Le Bistro had a glass and then switched to bottles of Moët for the table. Our two friends did not have the package but were able to share when dining with us. We ordered bottles of wine almost every night at dinner. White and red. 
we had high end whiskey, 35.00 a shot, doubles, 

31 dollar glasses of wine

starbucks special coffees

lots of bottled water

we had Los Lobos and the bartender made a perfect margarita, when he found out I had the upgrade he used 25.00 a shot tequila. They were soooo good. I’m happy I got it even tho I could not have Veuve by the bottle

• Like 1

Hi Greenpea, this is great!

I was on the Encore the same week so could not follow along with you and your sistah.

I am a failure at tech stuff, your review and posts are great!  Love all of the pics.

You both look very relaxed and happy.

I will be following along. 😊

#tribesistah

• Like 1

I belatedly went back through this thread AFTER posting all those recent photos and realized a number of them had already been posted. Oops. I don’t usually repeat myself much.  

I don’t usually repeat myself much.

Anyway, moving on to... the weather. Although I have sailed “The Bahamas run” several times in the past with DH, we have usually done it in April-May. In January & February we have generally sailed the 10-day Southern Caribbean out of NY and what a difference weather-wise that makes. The 7 day was, not surprising to us, nothing like the 10-day. We did luck out for the sail away as it was sunny and in the low 50s. A gorgeous day, actually! But by that night it was, well, February weather again. The next day was chilly and very windy so we could not make use of the sundeck. Tuesday we were in Port Canaveral so while still windy, it was very pleasant. Wednesday was GORGEOUS at GSC. The perfect beach day. Hot in the sun, blue skies, nice breeze. It rained a little later as I recall. Thursday was Nassau. Sunny and warm, made use of the sun deck. Rained later and breezy. The 2 days back to NY were windy and chilly, getting more so as we got closer. The waves were pretty big going down and coming back but the ship was never seasick-producing so that was cool. To summarize: we had 3 days of nice summery weather with part of two having light rain at some point. 

I am moving to NC this fall so will not need to worry about having nice weather for future 7-day cruises. We will cruise out of Florida. Maybe New Orleans. But if we were not moving south, I personally would not do a winter 7-day out of NY again.    

• Like 1

But we had some great sunsets no matter what the weather was. Here are a few of them. (I have not been able to figure out how to post multiple photos with space between them so I guess one at a time will have to do.) 

Sunset 3.jpg

• Like 1