Why Do the Brits Like P&O

swjumbo

It looks like I’ve touched a nerve but make no apology for my comments.

I have been lucky enough to sail with many cruise lines. I wanted P&O to be good. It wasn’t. It’s owned by a US company. They are taking advantage of a good name.

The fact that the ship didn’t go into some ports and changed the itinerary did not bother me. I love sea days!

The staff are exhausted. It’s not their fault and the comment about me not being polite to people? Totally wrong. I am nothing but nice to the staff. A couple of them have my details as they are seeking employment elsewhere and I will vouch for them in their interviews.

I kept thinking of a good catchphrase whilst on board and it rings so true. “P&O? Just say NO”.

Edited by swjumbo

We have cruised many times on Celebrity, a couple of times on RCI, Holland America, a long time ago Carnival and just last month our first P & O cruise.  We had a wonderful Caribbean cruise on Brittania - OK, MDR food wasn’t  mind blowing but it was good, the ship was clean and, we constantly saw staff cleaning handrails, decks, carpets etc. We found the staff friendly and service very good. As other posts have stated the value for money is the big bonus.  I long ago accepted that cruising is not what it once was - We no longer expect  the ‘wow’ factor when our dinner is served and I firmly believe you dont get that anymore on Celebrity, HAL or any other mainstream cruise line either and you would be paying a lot more with them.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Why? Because they are a slick organisation and they’re using the good name of what used to be a good British company and some people just can’t see it!

That does not tell me why a  a US  owned company ruined your holiday .I had a cruise ruined once and I let the company know and it was not  a US owned ship but I never slated the nation for owning the ship.

Thanks for your reply  and I hope your next cruise is a better one for you .

Edited by kalos

Did I say it was ruined? I have merely made some observations and have never slated the US.
I’m British. As the ship is no longer registered in the U.K. but in Bermuda I referred to elevator and not lift. 

Edited by swjumbo

"A couple of them have my details as they are seeking employment elsewhere and I will vouch for them in their interviews." 

I don't see that as being relevant to an interview situation, what are you going to say? "oh yes I met John on a recent cruise I was on, they were really miserable and I hated the whole experience" 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Did I say it was ruined? I have merely made some observations! 
I’m British but as the ship is no longer registered in the U.K. but in Bermuda I referred to elevator and not lift. 

So you got ... sub standard service,None of the staff appear friendly, the Oceana was tatty. Scrapes and scratches on lift doors. No one seemed to be cleaning .The entertainment was average and the buffet average too.

Drinks packages are dire and the staff miserable.  no officers to be seen.
You so wanted your cruise to be good but unfortunately it was not.
Sorry for assuming your cruise was ruined my mistake .
Glad you had a cruise you ... er whatever  it was to you .

Edited by kalos

5 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

"A couple of them have my details as they are seeking employment elsewhere and I will vouch for them in their interviews." 

I don't see that as being relevant to an interview situation, what are you going to say? "oh yes I met John on a recent cruise I was on, they were really miserable and I hated the whole experience" 

Depends on who ‘John’ is.

To be honest I didn’t expect to open this box of snakes. Going now. 

Enjoy your P&O cruises folks. I’ll wave to you from afar... hopefully upwind.

13 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

Ridiculous, they are employed from India, most of them.  They are hardly going to need a reference from you!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

Did I say it was ruined? I have merely made some observations and have never slated the US.
I’m British. As the ship is no longer registered in the U.K. but in Bermuda I referred to elevator and not lift. 

No you didn't slate the US. You slated the UK on a UK Forum about UK ships OWNED by a US company. Does anyone else see the irony of this? And since where a is ship registered does it change what a lift is called? . 😕

Edited by Adawn47

I wish p&o was cheap than I could book a few more with them, we are not fixated with p&o have actually tried another line will be going on cmv later on to make it our third line.

we have been lucky to have missed the golden age of p&o with all the wow factor, so for us it offers good value and we enjoyed the ship the food the entertainment etc probably makes us easy to please.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yep they seem to be going for a market re-brand ,them big flags painted down them 😉

I really meant the way that P&O are having to cut back on many things. I'll have to try and explain better. 😊

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

No you didn't slate the US. You slated the UK on a UK Forum about UK ships OWNED by a US company. Does anyone else see the irony of this? And since where is ship registered does it change what a lift is called . 😕

Look on the bright side ... His cruise was not ruined   .. all's well that ends well .   😄

We cruise with P and O after trying RCI and being very disappointed.  Our cabin was not cleaned properly and we complained to reception ( something we have never had to do before ) Their response was to send the cabin steward to our cabin  - who was then foul and abusive and told us we shouldn't have complained.  He was quite aggressive moaning about how much work he had to do and we could have caused him to lose his job!!!!!!  I felt quite threatened by his behaviour and my husband had to tell him to leave whilst he phoned the reception again.  I like the food on P and O as it caters to the British market -  on the Royal Caribbean ship you got virtually no vegetables,  we asked if we could have some and were given Broccoli and carrots every day for a fortnight!!!!!  I personally find the staff on P and O fantastic - friendly, helpful and hard working.  Never had an issue with anyone.  The kids club's are brilliant - I feel very happy leaving my child there.  As previous posters have said on RCI the kids club staff don't have to have childcare qualifications!!!!!!  I found RCI staff very false and in your face which I don't like.

We did actually try to give RCI another chance this year - just incase our  past experience was a one off. However it was not to be - RCI  decided to pull Independence of the Seas from Southampton for the whole summer season - leaving us with no holiday!!!!!!!!!!   I was so disappointed especially when I found out it was because they decided that they needed more ships in the Caribbean to take passengers to their new Island resort!!!!!!!!!!    You would think that they would honour  their existing bookings in the UK first!!!!!   I wouldn't book again with them now on principle!!!

So we have decided to stick with P and O.   We think that they offer good value for money and we have had some lovely holidays with them.  So to answer your question that is why we sail with them. I'm sorry you have had a bad experience on your cruise.   I have sailed on Oceana before but it was a long time ago.  She is an older ship in the fleet and sounds like she needs some tlc.  We tend to sail on the newer ships so maybe that is why our experience is different to yours.  I hope your next cruise is a better experience - whoever you choose to sail with.

• Like 7

Gotta love this board. Go away for a few hours and all hell breaks loose. 

you are a feisty lot

to answer OP who may or may not return (or be long time members in disguise)

p&o is good value for money. You get what you pay for. 
I do not like the food. I’m sure everyone on here knows this from me. It’s too much Old world British my grandpa grew up with pate and liver 🤢 but they do nice salmon and chicken. I find the good far outweighs the bad. 
And all the staff are lovely to us. Mainly the kids they dote on and make sure they are happy which is obviously what I want from the staff. 
I don’t find that many faults. Always a few and I will alway tell the company by thoughts but I still will come back. 

I haven’t been on any other lines though. Unfortunately we are priced out of many of them and so we stick to p&o. 

im also glad I have to sign my kids out. Their safety is high priority for me and I would not like the thought of anyone but us being able to go get them. It would put me off leaving them there altogether. 

really excited for my cruise. 40 days and 14ish hours to go!

plus I’m gonna blog this one like another poster and probably drive some of you love people nuts with my over planning and dislike of foods. 

Gotta day these boards are really awesome 😎 

• Like 1

Can only echo OP's points.

As a long standing P&O customer I no longer see the value for money that used to exist.

Everything is sub-quality and dumbed down compared to a few years ago.  Just too many cuts by Carnival.

Not for me any more

Now moving to Celebrity

• Like 1