Can Viking survive financially, prolonged Corona Virus cruise cancellations?

terrydtx

Several of the Caribbean Islands have refused entry to cruise ships based on passenger demographics.  You can do all the right things and your fellow passenger from Italy (just to pick a spot) could mean no entry.  Or worse, quarantine.  As several "talking heads" have stated, flu has killed 16,000 Americans this flu season so far.  It is the unknowns with the new virus that is causing all the fear.  Again, hope they get this vaccine thing on the road sooner rather than later.

32 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Again, hope they get this vaccine thing on the road sooner rather than later.

My retirement account can't afford any more loss or my future cruising will be in jeopardy. I am retiring March 31 and I will not let this virus thing curtail it.

3 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Never mind Ragnar,

I just answered my own question. I called Celebrity and they said that passengers who have visited the Lombardy and Veneto (Venice) regions will be denied boarding.

Thanks

Jack

They have a link on their website (upper left corner) where they update their restrictions:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert

This virus isnow globally. The  soonest a vaccine would be available would be  a year to year and a  half.. 

Travelling this year  is now a risk management  activity for everyone.

Had dinner with a friend last night. She had a China Viking river cruise all paid  for March. Of course  it was cancelled earilier this month. by Viking.

She is now going on the Trade Winds  of the Middle Ages in April from Barcelona to Bergen.

She is going  and knows the risks . 

Travel industry will really take a hit  I expect  this year...  and  many will survive and others not. 

I do hope Viking Ocean survives.  It is my  favorte form of travel. 

I am taking this virus seriously and reducing exposure to any smallish contained areas.

I lived in Toronto during the SARS and it was frankly terrifying.

SARS started out exactly the same with the exception it was mostly a Toronto concentrated debacle - not as widespread as the C virus.

In Toronto it was a few people here and there for many weeks and weeks and weeks and then it gained momentum.

It closed many stores, public transit was down 50%, doctors offices were restricted to only infectious file and serious, movie theatres closed, malls were vacant.  I had to go to the hospital during SARS and the hospital was transformed into a NASA venue with plastic sheets, staff in moon walking type suits, it was awful.

Having experienced SARS up close, it is my sincere hope that this C virus winds down.

Both SARS and the C virus both came from China - in my mind, this is now a public policy file for every country.

I have followed the many preparations being made in the USA, good, including the consideration of the War Measures to ramp up production of medical equipment. Not much happening in Canada despite having been the epicentre of SARS.

But what it does do is make me realize the increasing risks of contained travel - cruising hangs on air travel - with both being venues for mass containment of people from all over the world.

We have eliminated all cruising and flying for now. Instead we are taking our new Porsche and doing driving/golfing vacations around Canada and the USA. For the trips we had planned, well there is internet viewing with a nice glass of chardonnay.

What ever travels you do, be safe.

Our previously sold out cruise departing Venice in September now shows 7 cabins available, final payment date is March 18th and I can only think this many cabins becoming available is a result of virus worried cancelations. I do not at this time plan on cancelling, my non Viking insurance has us covered. We are still hoping that this virus will die back and tamper down after the warmup of summer. This cruise was sold out by December 2018 and is a very popular VO itinerary.