Can Viking survive financially, prolonged Corona Virus cruise cancellations?

terrydtx

38 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

A perfect solution to the homeless crisis!  The ships can be appropriately renamed:

Oasis of the Sewer

Edge.... of the Toilet

Crystal Meth

Allure of the Soup Line

Etc.

Ok, back away from the Tequila bottle now.....🍸

Viking has several cruises that will be departing or returning to Venice in April and May.  Now some cruise lines like Celebrity are announcing  travel restrictions for passengers traveling through the regions of Veneto and Lombardy (Venice and Milan) in the last 15 days.  Nothing has been canceled yet but that could be forthcoming if the outbreak in Northern Italy gets worse.  Airlines could be next with the restrictions, this will have a huge impact on the Mediterranean cruise market for this Spring and early Summer. This is a big market for Viking and could be a big financial loss for them.  

Edited by terrydtx

17 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

At least VO ships can be relocated.  If Coronna spreads from Italy to other European countries travel restrictions could very well shut down Viking River. 

Have FP due this weekend on a July Grand European river tour and am agonizing over whether to cancel.   

We will be on a Grand European in July ... we have paid in full and and have good insurance so we are sitting tight and assuming we will be enjoying a glass of wine on the Aquavit Terrace on July 7th as planned.  We are watching things carefully while keeping in mind that this is a fluid situation and the 24 hour news cycles tend to over dramatize most stories.  We are more concerned about a trip to WDW in April ... crowds and lots of "messy" little ones ... ripe with possibilities!  

11 minutes ago, molymoo said:

We will be on a Grand European in July ... we have paid in full and and have good insurance so we are sitting tight and assuming we will be enjoying a glass of wine on the Aquavit Terrace on July 7th as planned.  We are watching things carefully while keeping in mind that this is a fluid situation and the 24 hour news cycles tend to over dramatize most stories.  We are more concerned about a trip to WDW in April ... crowds and lots of "messy" little ones ... ripe with possibilities!  

You are going to Mouse Town??  You really will need that Aquavit Terrace.  How right you are about the news viewing only the worst of the worst.  We used to live in Florida and every hurricane, no matter the strength or where it hit, was made to look like it wiped out the state.  Family used to call all upset "are you ok?"  And I would be sitting outside sipping a cool drink.  Haha, just the nature of the beast.  I will feel better though when they get out a vaccine.  Anyway, best wishes for a "rehab" on the Grand European.🍸

Edited by Jim Avery

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

You are going to Mouse Town??  You really will need that Aquavit Terrace.  How right you are about the news viewing only the worst of the worst.  We used to live in Florida and every hurricane, no matter the strength or where it hit, was made to look like it wiped out the state.  Family used to call all upset "are you ok?"  And I would be sitting outside sipping a cool drink.  Haha, just the nature of the beast.  I will feel better when they get out a vaccine.  Anyway, best wishes for a "rehab" on the Grand European.🍸

The WDW trip is an annual Spring Break trip with my daughter who is a teacher.  It has been dubbed the "mother/daughter drunk and (just a little bit) disorderly tour" so there will be ample "applications" of alcohol to stave off both germs and small annoyances!  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, molymoo said:

We're scheduled to be depart just ahead of you on July 3rd.  Up until last week felt comfortable as Corona appeared confined to Asia.  Only got concerned when passengers on train from Italy to Austria initially tested positive.  Thankfully it was a false positive.   FP is due Saturday and while we still want to go plan to ask VR for a short extension to see how Italian situation develops.  If they say no will likely pay up and cross my fingers.  

With all the hype about corona virus, I looked at the cancellation policy. I do not want to cancel.   If I cancel now, the 100% still has a $500pp or $1500pp air inclusive fee.  That means if I cancel, I lose $3000. I would be out $3000 and have no cruise.   Insurance does not cover fear of getting sick.  Insurance will pay for insolvency if you bought From a third party or if you paid in full using a credit card.  Willing to wait and see. Really hope that things will improve. Looking forward to celebrating our 51st anniversary on Viking Jupiter. Have faith that everything will be ok. 

22 minutes ago, JerryInIL said:

Is Viking privately owned?  By who, or what?   They must have some financial strength to  build the new ships.

The story is dated April 2019, so still fairly recent

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurendebter/2019/04/15/meet-the-man-who-started-viking-cruises-in-his-50s-after-being-fired-losing-millions-and-surviving-cancer/#7d1f244d2652

5 hours ago, Cleopatra99 said:

Mr. Hagen will be on the Venus with us (along with other Sky guests) in January...should be a cool and unique experience!  

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 2/24/2020 at 6:15 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

A perfect solution to the homeless crisis!  The ships can be appropriately renamed:

Oasis of the Sewer

Edge.... of the Toilet

Crystal Meth

Allure of the Soup Line

Etc.

Please remember the 30,000+
homeless Veterans, and not this elitist, insensitive, and ignorant attempt at humor. 

14 hours ago, Redtravel said:

With all the hype about corona virus, I looked at the cancellation policy. I do not want to cancel.   If I cancel now, the 100% still has a $500pp or $1500pp air inclusive fee.  That means if I cancel, I lose $3000. I would be out $3000 and have no cruise.   Insurance does not cover fear of getting sick.  Insurance will pay for insolvency if you bought From a third party or if you paid in full using a credit card.  Willing to wait and see. Really hope that things will improve. Looking forward to celebrating our 51st anniversary on Viking Jupiter. Have faith that everything will be ok. 

I agree, I do not want o cancel and hopefully the hot  summer season will tamper down this virus by our cruise in September. But the CDC is already predicting the Corvid19 virus will be back next winter and that it will take a minimum of 18 months to produce, test and distribute an effective vaccine. I would not want to plan any winter or spring trips in 2021. My insurance will cover me for this year for the cruise but my air cost may not be covered for more than a credit for future flights if the cruise is cancelled or Viking becomes insolvent. I have lost way more in my retirement and investment accounts this week with the Dow plunging than my cruise cost, so I have many more worries, but I know the market will rebound if this virus thing gets better.

Edited by terrydtx

Got 2 Viking cruises booked.  River in June.  Transatlantic ocean in August.  Both were SOLD OUT previously but I looked and saw one cabin open in each today.  probably means nothing as odds are someone cancels in any circumstances.
Viking's options include more loans to finance operations and cancellation of ships to be built.  Each would have a cost. 

42 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Got 2 Viking cruises booked.  River in June.  Transatlantic ocean in August.  Both were SOLD OUT previously but I looked and saw one cabin open in each today.  probably means nothing as odds are someone cancels in any circumstances.
Viking's options include more loans to finance operations and cancellation of ships to be built.  Each would have a cost. 

Same for our September 21 cruise, 1 PV1 cabin is now available for a cruise that has been sold out for over 12 months. I expect to see more as we approach at the 6 month final payment deadline. Maybe more after the final payment  since 120 days out (May 21) is the window for cancelling with 100% refund less the $100pp booking fee.

Edited by terrydtx

11 hours ago, jasardeax said:

Please remember the 30,000+
homeless Veterans, and not this elitist, insensitive, and ignorant attempt at humor. 

Thank you, first time ol’ Ragnar has been referred to as “elitist” 🙂  The other adjectives, well, they have been liberally applied to ol’ Ragnar before...

(Dear moderator, feel free to delete as this is not cruise relevent.)

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Thank you, first time ol’ Ragnar has been referred to as “elitist” 🙂  The other adjectives, well, they have been liberally applied to ol’ Ragnar before...

(Dear moderator, feel free to delete as this is not cruise relevent.)

You’re original post was also not cruise relevant. 
Your disregard and disrespect for homeless veterans is obviously a joke to you. 

9 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

If you don’t mind, I’m going to plagiarize “vice signaler”.

No problem, I stole from somewhere. 
Perhaps, it was written on a cocktail napkin   

“Immature poets imitate,

Mature poets steal”

T. S.  Eliot

Edited by jasardeax
Spelling
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Well, Celebrity just announced you are persona non grata on their ships if you have been in Venice in the last 15 days....  I’m *guessing* they will be rerouting their cruises scheduled to visit Venice.

info over on the Celebrity boards.

Ragnar,

Are you sure that Celebrity is not allowing passengers on their ships who have been in Venice within 15 days? I didn't see anything about that on their site or when I Googled that. 

Thanks

Jack