New with NCL, i don't understand dining

Luckycruising

Hello,

I have about 15 cruises down my belt (Carnival, RCL, Disney), but the NCL Joy will be my first NCL cruise.  I'm doing a 5 days cruise from LA to Vancouver.  I just did my online check-in, and in the dining options, it gives me all the options to make reservations for each night (paid venues and complimentary venues).  What I don't understand is do I really have to pre-book the complimentary venues?  I thought the concept of my-time dining was not having to worry about when and where I will eat, but will I be stuck to the buffet if I don't pre-book it?  Or can I just show up to the complimentary venue and ask for a table (I understand there might be a wait time for a table)?

Thanks for the help

If I may ask a second question, I've also upgraded to the unlimited wifi package, but it doesn't specify if it's for the room or is it for one device only.

Re: Dining.  You do not have to reserve a spot for complimentary dining.  You can show up and wait to eat.   The benefits of reserving are if you are on a timeline, like trying to see a show, if you have a larger group to accommodate.   Showing up and waiting is just fine.  The waits aren't horrific; grab a glass of wine and get in line.  You can also make reservations on the ship if you decide later that you need to dine at a specific time.  

The wifi is device specific.  

Enjoy your sailing. 

You don't have to reserve a spot for any dining. With the specialty restaurants you can reserve if you want but there is usually seating availabel for parties of two all the time. Waits in the Main Dining Rooms are never very long

Regarding the wifi, the post above is incorrect.  You can have numerous devices on one plan, however only one device can be connect at a time.  If another tries to connect it will ask if you want to disconnect the one currently online and you can boot them off by clicking yes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TPgal said:

The wifi is device specific.

To clarify for the OP: the one-device package is not limited to a specific device. It only means that one device can be connected at any one time. You can connect as many devices as you want, and have as many people share the package as you want. But only one device can be connected at a time. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 9:37 AM, Mike_DeA said:

Regarding the wifi, the post above is incorrect. 

You know, when I replied to that question I knew I shouldn't touch the second question because I only have limited experience with the wifi plans... I tried to edit my reply, but my "talking out of my %ss" reply will be with us for eternity.   Thank you for clarifying my comment for the OP.  You too @Turtles06

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TPgal said:

You know, when I replied to that question I knew I shouldn't touch the second question because I only have limited experience with the wifi plans... I tried to edit my reply, but my "talking out of my %ss" reply will be with us for eternity.   Thank you for clarifying my comment for the OP.  You too @Turtles06

Hahaaa, no worries, you're welcome.  I don't know much, but I try to help out when I can.

• Like 1

Main dining rooms hardly ever have queue in my experience, we rarely have lunch or dinner in the buffets and always use the complimentary restaurants. In the rare case there is indeed a line, you can always go for any other restaurant.

On Breakaway there is usually a short wait for the 3 dining rooms by about 6pm.  The wait has been anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes.  The worst case was when there was a special event that held up seating 15 minutes and so the wait became 35-40 minutes - that was only once in 5 trips.

We were on a cruise once that had anytime, 1st seating and 2nd seating. We signed up for anytime. When we showed up when doors opened by 6, we could not get in, was told reservations are booked up every night til 8:30pm.  That is to late for us, so they moved us to 1st seating. So no, anytime dining does not mean that always. I was not happy to just learn people can make reservations on our upcoming cruise, this makes me feel I may have to, so I don't get stuck eating to late.  I like when the lines do first come first serve.